The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The ol' "what are you workin' on" thread (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525418)

TBman 10-18-2018 05:46 PM

The ol' "what are you workin' on" thread

Current torture list...

Chunky Monkey Gumbo - Paul Asbell

Al Petteway:

Walking Stick
Sweet Potato Fries
Sheep at the Door.
Deep River Blues/I am a Pilgrim

What's yours?

Imbler 10-18-2018 05:53 PM

classical gas,
Autumn Leaves
While my guitar gently weeps
Over the rainbow

Riverwolf 10-18-2018 06:10 PM

Freebird - adding solo's
Shady Grove
Chocolate Jesus
You Ain't Going Nowhere
Wild Horses

jseth 10-18-2018 07:39 PM

Just gearing up for a show tomorrow night, so I've been playing a bunch, going over some tunes, but mostly getting my hands and fingers and voice in decent shape. That's the problem with gigging infrequently - after a month hiatus, I feel like a rookie when I get on stage!

I find I really have to do my vocal and breathing exercises for a couple weeks prior, if I want to have my voice be in the best shape possible...

Funny thing is, if I were playing 3-5 nights a week, I wouldn't have to think about any of this stuff... NOTHING gets me in better playing shape than... playing a LOT! And just doing some tunes at home doesn't accomplish anything close to what doing shows does...

RedJoker 10-18-2018 07:58 PM

Putting together a playlist for my first gig!!

islandguitar 10-18-2018 09:00 PM

As usual, continuing with my own stuff. 3 new tunes which have come into place from last spring till now. To be recorded sometime late fall or winter.
The three:
-"Fretful"

- "September Cool"

-" Lavender Bloom"

Hoping to get these recorded before too long.......stay tuned!

reeve21 10-18-2018 09:19 PM

Avalon Blues, John Hurt, Arr. Toby Walker
All to Jesus I Surrender, Arr. Zeno
Take Me Out To The Ballgame (Go Sox!)

tonyo 10-18-2018 09:47 PM

Let her cry
Motherland
Bittersweet symphony
Shotgun
Strumming gently (technique, not song)
Bass

dkstott 10-19-2018 03:38 AM

I've been obsessed with Martin Taylor's book "Beyond Chord Melody" for a few months now. It's dramatically opened up my jazz knowledge of the fretboard in way that previous instructions couldn't.

Nymuso 10-19-2018 04:53 AM

For myself, anything old or new that happens to come to my attention. For our group, anything that catches our ear as having potential for a new harmony treatment. This can lead, in either case, to surprising and satisfying results.

Charlieb 10-19-2018 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstott (Post 5866774)
I've been obsessed with Martin Taylor's book "Beyond Chord Melody" for a few months now. It's dramatically opened up my jazz knowledge of the fretboard in way that previous instructions couldn't.

Now that's serious study right there. Martin's playing and musical knowledge is major. I'd place him right up there in the top of players from any decade. As you prob already know he offers personal lessons on his site. I've been tempted and if I was young, it would definitely be on. It's not easy by any measure, but it opens up the universe in musical knowledge a little at a time. You slowly start to hear and see things ie lightbulb moments after moments. I too have been obsessed with chord melody for the past 6-7 years. The more I learn the more I realize just how little I knew/know.

So big kudos, you on the right track

dkstott 10-19-2018 07:56 AM

Thanks Charlie!!

I've started and quit jazz chord melody several times over the years. I just couldn't seem to connect with the whole "learn all the chord arpeggio's in all 12 keys & learn all the scales, etc.. Now solo over the chord changes" routine... I could never connect the dots and got frustrated.

Martin's book "Beyond Chord Melody" has really opened up my eyes in a way that others methods didn't. I'm now seeing the connections between chords & actually know why I'm doing things... LOL.

While I'm only half way through the book, I'm able to construct rudimentary jazz standard chord melodies that sound pretty freaking good.

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlieb (Post 5866797)
Now that's serious study right there. Martin's playing and musical knowledge is major. I'd place him right up there in the top of players from any decade. As you prob already know he offers personal lessons on his site. I've been tempted and if I was young, it would definitely be on. It's not easy by any measure, but it opens up the universe in musical knowledge a little at a time. You slowly start to hear and see things ie lightbulb moments after moments. I too have been obsessed with chord melody for the past 6-7 years. The more I learn the more I realize just how little I knew/know.

So big kudos, you on the right track

mr. beaumont 10-19-2018 08:00 AM

Django style rhythm guitar.

DungBeatle 10-19-2018 08:33 AM

I've been rebuilding my home studio, practicing 8 songs with my daughter who plays bass and sings. Everything is almost ready so I can start making some recordings again. It's been a bit expen$ive...
~Bob

ezcawi 10-19-2018 09:35 AM

Working on polishing up a tune in open F I call "Early Morning Drive" for recording/video, finishing a bluesy composition called "Grad School Funk", a Bach Gigue and Villa-lobos preludes/etudes.