The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New amp(s) day! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524820)

BoneDigger 10-12-2018 09:25 PM

New amp(s) day!

2 Attachment(s)
I did some selling and some dealing and now I think I have my perfect trio of amps. I sold my Twin Reverb 65 reissue and my Boss Katana, along with some other things I had lying around. I already own a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb, but I wanted something cleaner to replace my Twin, but not nearly as large. So, I ended up buying a new Princeton Reverb Limited Edition with the Tweed cover and 12" Cannabis Rex. As luck would have it, I then came across a Vox AC10C1 for a good price and brought it home.

So, now I have a Deluxe Reverb, a Princeton Reverb Limited Edition, and a Vox AC10C1.

I think I'm setup now for a LONG time. :)

Attachment 13969Attachment 13970

Jaden 10-12-2018 09:36 PM

Wow. Nice choices. Enjoy! :)

GHS 10-13-2018 04:53 AM

I'm new to electric. What would this pair work good with, Les Pauls, telecasters, etc?? Blues jr.was on my radar,any thoughts about that one? Looking for good clean sound for jazz and rock...no heavy metal distortion.

paulp1960 10-13-2018 05:17 AM

You got a nice collection of amps.

Bluside 10-13-2018 05:38 AM

Well done.

Dru Edwards 10-13-2018 05:41 AM

What a great trio, Todd! All you need now is a Marshall for those dirty tones ;)

Parlorman 10-13-2018 06:09 AM

Nice stable. Enjoy!

Steve DeRosa 10-13-2018 07:26 AM

Played an AC10 a couple months ago and I was very impressed - use them well, often, and LOUD... :cool:

PTony 10-13-2018 08:31 AM

Congrats! 3 very fine amps. I too sold my 65 TRRI due to size and weight. I use a Vox MV 50 clean on my “live/fly rig”, but opted for an Egnater Tweaker 15 with 2-1x12 cabs for home use. It’s basically a Fender, Vox, and a Marshall in one. Super versatile. Takes pedals extremely well. For me, it’s been a fantastic addition.

Enjoy your NAD. They come around less than NGD. :D

At least for me :roll:

DukeX 10-13-2018 11:34 AM

Definitely a nice trio, congrats!

My trio:
Princeton Reverb
5e3 Tweed Deluxe
Vox AC4 HW1

BoneDigger 10-13-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GHS (Post 5861595)
I'm new to electric. What would this pair work good with, Les Pauls, telecasters, etc?? Blues jr.was on my radar,any thoughts about that one? Looking for good clean sound for jazz and rock...no heavy metal distortion.

I use them with several guitars, from a telicaster, to hollow body jazz boxes (Guild X175 and Epiphone ES 295), to semi hollow LP types (Epiphone Wildkat). I generally play rockabilly, rock, country, and Americana, with an occasional bout of surfrock-itis thrown in. This trio gives me just about any tone I could want. I don't get raunchy and apply a bunch of distortion, but a bit of natural overdrive sounds great.

As for the Blues Jr., it too is a good amp. I owned one for a while. I didn't care for the cleans as much as I did on other Fender amps, but it does have a great bluesy crunch!

As always, I'd recommend playing them all and let your ears decide. In fact, bring your own guitar to test them out.

muscmp 10-13-2018 12:09 PM

great amps. i have the vox ac15c1 and love it. also have a 59 princeton that sounds great.

i would think the deluxe reverb would give you much more cleans than either of the two new purchases as they both can get fairly dirty quite quickly.

play music!

BoneDigger 10-13-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscmp (Post 5861914)
great amps. i have the vox ac15c1 and love it. also have a 59 princeton that sounds great.

i would think the deluxe reverb would give you much more cleans than either of the two new purchases as they both can get fairly dirty quite quickly.

play music!

With the larger speaker, the Princeton can stay clean at moderate levels. If I crank either, they will overdrive, but I rarely crank them loud. The 68 Deluxe is a great sounding amp too, but it has been tweaked by Fender for a slightly warmer tone than a black face.

jseth 10-13-2018 12:28 PM

Nice trio! I love my '75 SF Deluxe Reverb, but it's a bit heavy to be hauling around with me... a Princeton would be perfect for schlepping about.

I'm curious about a Princeton with a 12" in it... I've always loved the sound of the "standard" Princeton with a 10". Did you actually check out both the 10" and 12" in that amp, or just jump on the 12" from the get-go?

Seems there's some duplication with both amps having a 12"? Come to think of it, is the Vox a 12", as well? Maybe you just like 12" speakers in your amps...

In any case, those three amps should "do it" for you, regardless of the application. You can always hang an SM-57 in front of one if you need it louder...

Enjoy!

(If you haven't already, check out G.E. Smith's idea about Fender amps - "dime" the volume and the bass and turn the treble to 0; makes a great sound and one that was instantly recognizable to me from many recordings! I use the volume on my guitar to "clean up" things a bit until I want THAT tone...)

rwmct 10-13-2018 02:23 PM

I initially bought the wine colored 12" Princeton, then returned it for the standard 10" model. I probably would have kept the 12" if I had to do it over again, but for some reason I was focused on hewing more closely to the original 10" Princetons.

Both are pretty similar, IMO. I seem to recall that the knock on the 10" is that it gets "farty" on the base notes at higher volumes. I don't play loud, so I have not noticed where that kicks in.