The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Guitar stand for patio? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555812)

swduncan 08-25-2019 08:53 AM

Guitar stand for patio?

Anyone know of a cheap guitar stand that will survive being left out on a patio on a permanent basis?

RedJoker 08-25-2019 08:56 AM

I have a cheap hanger on our pergola. It keeps the guitar up and away from our dogs and our turkey. I've had it for a couple of years and, out of the sunlight, seems to be fine.

(Unrelated, we have a pet turkey that hangs out with us on the patio.)

vindibona1 08-25-2019 09:48 AM

What's cheap? I don't know that any guitar stand will withstand weather changes for long periods of time. They're going to get dirty from the dust and rain. Personally, I wouldn't want to put my guitar on a dirt covered stand. I have a BBQ grill that sits on our balcony uncovered during the summer months and I go out and clean it with windex before using it each time (about 3x/week) and can tell you it gets pretty dirty in a day or two. Based on that I would never leave a guitar stand outside (that I would want to put a guitar on). It takes less time to set it up and take it down than to clean it as often as needed.

Having said that, you can buy an el cheapo guitar stand from GC for around $10 if you wait for a sale. For $22 (if you find the right place) you can get an Ultimate Support GS-100 stand which is my favorite stand for price, quality and portability.

Good luck.

JayBee1404 08-25-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 6145944)
What's cheap? I don't know that any guitar stand will withstand weather changes for long periods of time. They're going to get dirty from the dust and rain. Personally, I wouldn't want to put my guitar on a dirt covered stand............Based on that I would never leave a guitar stand outside (that I would want to put a guitar on). It takes less time to set it up and take it down than to clean it as often as needed.

Having said that, you can buy an el cheapo guitar stand from GC for around $10 if you wait for a sale. For $22 (if you find the right place) you can get an Ultimate Support GS-100 stand which is my favorite stand for price, quality and portability.

Good luck.

^^^^^^^^^
Aaah-yup, this!

Misifus 08-25-2019 11:38 AM

If it were I, I would try a SwingString type of guitar hanger, but I would put some sort of cover over it when not in use.

Ludere 08-25-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misifus (Post 6146020)
If it were I, I would try a SwingString type of guitar hanger, but I would put some sort of cover over it when not in use.

This ^^^ sounds like a good idea to me - out of direct sunlight and slap a zip lock bag or some kind of little drawstring pouch over it when you walk away ... I'm thinkin' that would hold up Ok ...

swduncan 08-25-2019 11:52 AM

Guitar stand for patio?

By cheap, I mean less than $20 or so. It’s going to hold a CA Cargo guitar, or a Martin LXM that’s all laminate - I just need something to hold it while I’m out there, the guitars will go inside when I do.

Right now I’m leaning toward this one:

Portable Stand for Acoustic and Classical Guitars by Hola! Music https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLQ7M4E..._fNSyDbB74H4TH

Seems to be all or mostly plastic, not too spendy, and will keep it off the concrete floor and brick walls.

The hanger idea is pretty good - I have a deck above the patio, so I could mount it on the side of one of the joists. It would be more convenient to have something I could reach sitting down though.

rstaight 08-25-2019 12:05 PM

Earlier this year I was looking at guitar stands. I was on the Austin Bazzare site. They had stands in about the $18 range. I was wanting at least 2.

While looking around the site I came across 10 for $40. Did some comparisons and it was the same stand. Told a guy I work with and he said he would split them.

So I got 5 stands for $20. They are perfect for taking to jams and temporary use at home. How, can you go wrong for $4 each.

Pitar 08-25-2019 12:10 PM

Slap one together from PVC pipe and fittings? How hard can it be?

L20A 08-25-2019 12:13 PM

Put a leather strap on the headstock of the guitar.
Now place a hook on a wall that is in the safest place you have.
If you find a stainless hook, even better.

Tadpole 08-25-2019 12:14 PM

I place leather straps (similar to the way GC hangs guitars) on my outdoor bound guitars and I have hooks scattered throughout my yard, workshop etc...

Nama Ensou 08-25-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swduncan (Post 6146038)
The hanger idea is pretty good - I have a deck above the patio, so I could mount it on the side of one of the joists.

That's the one I'd be going with. Always there, but also out of the way, and no stand to get knocked over by whatever might be going on with kids, drunks or animals.

guitar george 08-25-2019 01:24 PM

Make sure it is heavy, or bolted down, and has a strap for the neck so the guitar doesn't become "Blowin in the Wind".

89bruin 08-25-2019 01:31 PM

I use a cheap stand from GC ... one of the three-leg folding affairs. It’s been on the back deck for over three years and is still serviceable. Just have to wipe down the dust/pollen on a regular basis.

canehorn 08-25-2019 02:27 PM

These work great and will prevent guitar being blown off hangar without extra step of a strap:
http://herculesstands.com/internatio.../wall-hangers/