The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   cost of strings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491839)

Silly Moustache 12-05-2017 11:38 AM

cost of strings

I was browsing my eBay history looking for something completely different today and saw what I paid for a ten pack of Daddario Ej17s back in July 2015.

I decided to track my purchases of this single item and this is what I found :

July 15 - £41 ($55)
Sep - 15 - £45
Jun 16 - £51
Oct 16 - £55
Jun 17 - £56
Today (if I bought them ) - £65 - ($87).

Ebay also likes to tell me about "offers" from the USA
Current cheapest price in the US - £35! (but with £10 postage and presumably unknown import, Excise and taxes on top.

So, have strings increased by over 50% in the US in the last two years?

Goat Mick 12-05-2017 12:09 PM

I just checked Sweetwater and Strings & Beyond and it looks like there has been a price increase here, but not 50%. Earlier in the year I could buy a 10 pack of EJ17's for about $45 and now they're listed at $58. That sucks because I go through a lot of strings.

vindibona1 12-05-2017 12:40 PM

I can't say unequivically across the board, but I've seen increases pretty much everywhere. When I came back to playing 5 years ago I was buying Elixir strings for $10. Now $16. Gibson electrics went for $6. Now $8+.

Guitars too largely have gone up in price. Fender MIM Strats 5 years ago were regularly selling for $400. Now $600 for the basic model with a push for inflated "premium" MIMs. . MIA's could be had for $1000, now $1300-1400+ Gibson did try unsuccessfully raise prices by 30% in 2015, but got so much push back that they rescinded the increases in 2016.

But it's not limited to guitar stuff. Food prices have skyrocketed. Car prices too. Housing in some areas. The govt would have you believe that we have 2% inflation. I just want to know what dimension they are getting those numbers from (yeah- I know it's their "market basket")? Unfortunately your boss uses the 2%number to give you your "cost of living" increase. I digress. Sorry.

lt20dbl 12-05-2017 01:23 PM

They must have gone up. I used to watch the online sales and bought strings whether I needed them or not. I use coated strings, mostly and wound up paying 4-5 bucks a set for D'Addario EXP and about 6 bucks a set for Martin Lifespan. At 64, I'd guess I'm pretty well set for life. Those deals are long gone in the last two years, I'd say. Bogo sales with already low prices.

beninma 12-05-2017 01:42 PM

I just got a 12 pack of D'Addario EJ16s for $30 a week ago.

OK, not a normal thing cause it was a Black Friday sale but it was a good deal.

HHP 12-05-2017 02:13 PM

Haven't seen any big increases in the ones I buy. Might look at the exchange rate and the various additional charges applied when the enter the UK.

L20A 12-05-2017 03:20 PM

If you look around, you can still get good prices for strings.
I'm not sure what the difference is between Martin strings and D'Addario strings
but I found Martin Phosphor Bronze strings at Strings and Beyond for $2.99 a set if you buy 10 sets.
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/map...*oIg3SdlsyegRu

Silly Moustache 12-05-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5558782)
Haven't seen any big increases in the ones I buy. Might look at the exchange rate and the various additional charges applied when the enter the UK.

Yes, I expect to pay more for products made outside the EU, and of course our sales tax on all but food and essentials is 20% (similar in most other EU countries).

but 52% ???

Silly Moustache 12-05-2017 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 5558692)
I can't say unequivically across the board, but I've seen increases pretty much everywhere. When I came back to playing 5 years ago I was buying Elixir strings for $10. Now $16. Gibson electrics went for $6. Now $8+.

Guitars too largely have gone up in price. Fender MIM Strats 5 years ago were regularly selling for $400. Now $600 for the basic model with a push for inflated "premium" MIMs. . MIA's could be had for $1000, now $1300-1400+ Gibson did try unsuccessfully raise prices by 30% in 2015, but got so much push back that they rescinded the increases in 2016.

But it's not limited to guitar stuff. Food prices have skyrocketed. Car prices too. Housing in some areas. The govt would have you believe that we have 2% inflation. I just want to know what dimension they are getting those numbers from (yeah- I know it's their "market basket")? Unfortunately your boss uses the 2%number to give you your "cost of living" increase. I digress. Sorry.

Hi, your digression is interesting.

Inflation in the UK is said to have reached 3% (which is high for us but we ain't seen nothin' yet)

I always budget on 5% a year for household bills, - I don't know about groceries because my wife buys them all. (We budget separately).

I'ver just looked at the prices of what my guitars would cost now - I couldn't afford them now.

jpd 12-05-2017 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L20A (Post 5558860)
If you look around, you can still get good prices for strings.
I'm not sure what the difference is between Martin strings and D'Addario strings
but I found Martin Phosphor Bronze strings at Strings and Beyond for $2.99 a set if you buy 10 sets.
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/map...*oIg3SdlsyegRu

Then add free shipping and it's a winner:guitar:

drplayer 12-05-2017 05:20 PM

Honestly, the price of strings is something I don’t even look at. I know the strings I like best for each of my guitars, and I know which dealers offer the best prices...it is what it is. I have to put gasoline in my car whether it’s $3.69/gallon or $2.29/gallon, and I have to change strings when they need changed whether they’re $5 or $8.

Pura Vida 12-05-2017 05:42 PM

Two years ago, I paid ~$45 for a 10-pack of D'Addario EJ16 strings. On Black Friday 2016, I got them for just over $20. In 2017, I also got the $30 Black Friday 12-pack special, and the 10-pack are $44-46.

Other string brands vary $5-8 with a little more for Aluminum Bronze or Nickel Bronze. I haven't noticed a significant price increase, but I also shop around between 4-5 places to find the best price, and then buy in quantities to get free shipping, no sales tax, etc.

Wade Hampton 12-05-2017 08:06 PM

The Indiana Welsh-American HHP wrote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HHP (Post 5558782)

Yeah, I think it's just a giant conspiracy by American guitar string manufacturers to punish the British for the way the Brexit vote went.

Naturally, I have no idea why they should even care about that, but, you know, they're a fairly fickle lot.

whm

AHill 12-05-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 5558692)

Homes and durable goods like cars don't drive inflation as much as you'd think, because most folks don't buy them on a regular basis. If they survey 100 folks, maybe 10% have purchased or refinanced a new home, so only the 10% whose mortgage changed will affect inflation. Also, the government does not include food and energy in their estimate of core inflation rate, because their prices are rather volatile.

My raise is not tied to inflation. We never get cost of living raises. Our raises are based on merit (performance appraisal), corporate profits, and labor grade.

Ed-in-Ohio 12-06-2017 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5558647)
...snip...So, have strings increased by over 50% in the US in the last two years?

No. I buy GHS strings at Strings and Beyond, and checked my order history. Here is a listing of how the price changed from my orders placed in 2015/2016 to the current listed price:

Phosphor Bronze 6 pack: Was $31 - Is $33 (6.5% increase)
Signature Bronze: Was $6.95 - Is $7.39 (6.3% increase)
Vintage Bronze: Was $4.95 - Is $5.49 (11% increase)
White Bronze: Was $6.99 - Is $6.99 (no change)
Bright Bronze: Was $5.95 - Is $6.39 (7.4% increase)

Eldergreene 12-06-2017 05:49 AM

This is where I find FastFret pays for itself many times over - I can get months of use out of a set of strings, by reviving them with FF before playing - I realise this doesn't work for everyone tho..

ManyMartinMan 12-06-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drplayer (Post 5558990)
Honestly, the price of strings is something I don’t even look at. I know the strings I like best for each of my guitars, and I know which dealers offer the best prices...it is what it is. I have to put gasoline in my car whether it’s $3.69/gallon or $2.29/gallon, and I have to change strings when they need changed whether they’re $5 or $8.

Same for me.

vindibona1 12-06-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHill (Post 5559203)
Also, the government does not include food and energy in their estimate of core inflation rate, because their prices are rather volatile.

I know, but volatility can be averaged over a time period. Failing to take the food, which is HUGE, unavoidable expense in our daily lives and energy, the two things we ALWAYS need/use is kind of like a pregnant lady only confessing to gaining weight. IMO it is disingenuous at best. Social Security increases are based almost entirely on the CPI.

Quote:

My raise is not tied to inflation. We never get cost of living raises. Our raises are based on merit (performance appraisal), corporate profits, and labor grade.
Lucky you. Some jobs have that. I worked on straight commission for a few years so I know what merit pay is. But try being a teacher or administrative assistant a non-union employee or someone who the company regards as an expense rather than a profit center. The CPI is convenient for employers, but in terms of buying power for the employee, he has to take it in the shorts.

rmgjsps 12-06-2017 09:51 AM

Just an observation, not a criticism, but, I see guitar lists in signatures here listing thousands to tens-of thousands of dollars worth of instruments. I know that many members here are working musicians or just play a hell of lot more than I ever did or will. Some change strings weekly (me, maybe three, four times a year) but compared to the investment in guitars, the cost of strings is pretty nominal. OK, leaving out, like, Martin Titaniums. If you are a working musician, then strings must certainly be a deductable business expense, assuming that you actually report the income and operate as a business. I guess that along with GAS goes SAS -- String Acquisition Syndrome. We all have to pay for all of our addictions.

ljguitar 12-06-2017 10:29 AM

Hi Silly M

I play Elixir Nano, phosphor bronze strings, and was paying $12-$13 (USD) per set shipped a decade ago in lots of a dozen. Just looked at my current supply sources and they are still in that range.

I used to buy my D'Addario non-coated in a bulk box with 30 sets, and that has increased in price about 25% over the years.

I agree with the sentiment of whom-ever said that they just buy the strings they need regardless of price increases, and liked it to putting gasoline in their car.

I'm not going to down-grade my gasoline to a less octane version to save money. But I WILL shop at different gas stations to experience lower prices. Of course I live in a small city where I can drive anywhere in 10 minutes (and my outings take me all over the city).

brianmay 12-06-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Hampton (Post 5559178)
The Indiana Welsh-American HHP wrote:

Yeah, I think it's just a giant conspiracy by American guitar string manufacturers to punish the British for the way the Brexit vote went.

Naturally, I have no idea why they should even care about that, but, you know, they're a fairly fickle lot.

whm

Go for it Wade . . . ho ho ho

Shades of the Boston Tea-Party, I blame Presidents Trump and Putin :D:D

RodB 12-06-2017 11:21 AM

I would suggest you are no longer getting such a good deal through Ebay as you once did, and this gives the impression that prices have risen so much.

From the UK I mainly use Fretsounds and StringDirect. Looking back at some purchases from these (made in Stirling) I note that:

- D’Addario NBs price FELL over the last 18 months or so - by about 5%, and 80/20s stayed the same. (StringsDirect)

- EJ16s went up less than 15% over the last 3 years, and Martin FX for my 12 string went up 5%

Also no dramatic changes in other strings I use, such as Wyres PBs.

Surely not so bad given the exchange rate change over the period.

Trust this helps,

Wade Hampton 12-06-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmgjsps (Post 5559637)
Just an observation, not a criticism, but, I see guitar lists in signatures here listing thousands to tens-of thousands of dollars worth of instruments. I know that many members here are working musicians or just play a hell of lot more than I ever did or will. Some change strings weekly (me, maybe three, four times a year) but compared to the investment in guitars, the cost of strings is pretty nominal.

When I was playing in Irish bars for my living I changed the strings on both my guitar and my mountain dulcimer (which is the instrument where I'm a far more advanced player, actually) not once a week but every other show.

This was before the invention of coated strings, but for me it was less about tone than it was tuning reliability. The effect that metal fatigue has on string life is routinely ignored on this forum, with most of the participants preferring to talk about corrosion or whatever. The effect of all that kinetic energy pulsing through these spindly little skeins of metal seems to barely rate a mention.

So even then, as a skinny single guy in my twenties making ends meet but not much than that, the cost of strings was irrelevant. Whatever my out of pocket costs, they simply didn't compare to the agony of trying to get through a set in a rowdy Irish bar where the Paddies were getting restive because I was popping strings left and right. All because I'd been a dork and hadn't changed my strings like I should have.

Reliability and the "don't have to worry about it" factor completely outweighed any worries about the cost of strings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmgjsps (Post 5559637)
OK, leaving out, like, Martin Titaniums. If you are a working musician, then strings must certainly be a deductable business expense, assuming that you actually report the income and operate as a business. I guess that along with GAS goes SAS -- String Acquisition Syndrome. We all have to pay for all of our addictions.

As costly addictions go, changing your strings on a regular basis rates somewhere between:

1.) Doing the daily crossword puzzle;

and

2.) Allowing yourself four Oreo cookies with your lunch.

Wade Hampton Miller

fazool 12-06-2017 03:47 PM

Be very careful buying strings on eBay.

eBay counterfeit strings are a pretty popular issue.

Only buy your strings from an authorized dealer.

rmgjsps 12-06-2017 04:52 PM

Hey, Wade, You are absolutely right. I don't really care what strings cost since none of us can play without them, anyway.

I am totally addicted to the New York Times crosswords, working my way through ALL of the back ones. (I'm up to March, 2007) as well as each day's current one. Had to give up the oreos, though -- too many calories. Well maybe 4 oreo minis now and then!

"Oh then tell me Sean O' Farrell, tell me why you hurry so ... "

Silly Moustache 12-06-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodB (Post 5559770)
I would suggest you are no longer getting such a good deal through Ebay as you once did, and this gives the impression that prices have risen so much.

From the UK I mainly use Fretsounds and StringDirect. Looking back at some purchases from these (made in Stirling) I note that:

- D’Addario NBs price FELL over the last 18 months or so - by about 5%, and 80/20s stayed the same. (StringsDirect)

- EJ16s went up less than 15% over the last 3 years, and Martin FX for my 12 string went up 5%

Also no dramatic changes in other strings I use, such as Wyres PBs.

Surely not so bad given the exchange rate change over the period.

Trust this helps,

Hi Rod,
Strings Direct were always my preferred provider, ,and always speedy delivery,but a couple of years ago theri prices got less competitive.

They are a regular ebay seller, but "reddansette" (Craigs Music) have been better priced.

I checked out fretsounds - hadn't heard of them, but they don't even stock ej17s!

BTW - to Fazool, this business about "fake" strings - all you need to do is look at seller's details to see if it is a genuine seller or not.

Earl49 12-06-2017 05:43 PM

Taylor puts Elixir strings on their guitars not because they are the ultimate tonal choice, but because they last longer and sound better in a retail setting. That is a distinct competitive advantage, and other brands are jumping on the coated string bandwagon (EXP, Cleartone, Lifespan, etc). Many of us Taylor owners are perfectly happy with Elixir strings, however. Polyweb are fully coated and are slippery (and also sprout "fuzzies" when strummed). Nanoweb have only the grooves coated, with bare windings exposed. Less slippery, more finger noise, and feel more like regular uncoated strings. There is a place for both types.

Long before coated string were ever on the market, I discovered GHS White Bronze strings, with 52% nickel alloy. Those cost the same as most uncoated strings, but last 3-4 times as long as other brands (for me). In terms of the full life cycle, the White Bronze often beat Elixirs, but for guitars that don't get played very often Elixir is the way to go. YMMV.

String pricing discussions always remind me of owning an airplane in Alaska. When aviation gas went from under $3 to north of $5 a gallon a few years ago (while auto fuel went past $4 a gallon) I knew many pilots that essentially stopped flying. Never mind that owning an airplane costs about $5K per year in fixed expenses (insurance, tie-down or hangar, chart updates, annual inspection, other maintenance) before you ever turn the prop. Fuel is the least expensive element of that hobby. A simple 50 hour oil change is nearly $100 -- if you do it yourself -- and closer to $200 if you pay a mechanic.

Wade Hampton 12-06-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmgjsps (Post 5560106)
Hey, Wade, You are absolutely right. I don't really care what strings cost since none of us can play without them, anyway.

I am totally addicted to the New York Times crosswords, working my way through ALL of the back ones. (I'm up to March, 2007) as well as each day's current one. Had to give up the oreos, though -- too many calories. Well maybe 4 oreo minis now and then!

Ah, you evil backslider, you! We'll be sending the calorie police by to monitor your consumption by the first of next week.

Then rmgjsps (which is pronounced "rumga jaspus") concluded by quoting the opening line of "The Rising of the Moon":

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmgjsps (Post 5560106)
"Oh then tell me Sean O' Farrell, tell me why you hurry so ... "

To which I reply:

"Hush a bhuachaill, hush and listen and his cheeks were all aglow.
"I bear orders from the captain, get you ready quick and soon,
"For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon."

"At the rising of the moon, at the RISING of the moon!
"For the pikes must be together at the rising of the moon!!
!"

Sláinte mhaith.

And for those of you who despise Irish music:

Póg mo thóin....

Wade Hampton "There Beside That Singing River..." Miller

Silly Moustache 12-06-2017 06:25 PM

Earl49, I have a fair number of good quality guitars and I don't stint on maintenance nor string changes.
I don't care for coated strings in fact I tried a set again a while ago, but they don't last any longer than uncoated for me.

I use Ej17s on four dreads, a jumbo, two archtops and and a Weissenborn, and I change them, plus other types for other instruments.

I don't begrudge changing strings, in fact I enjoy it, but I am simply asking if prices have hiked by 50% in two years elsewhere.

I'm aware of the currency exchange rate changes but this seems radical.
For info I've checked prices in Germany and they have hike similarly there too.

Orfeas 12-06-2017 06:29 PM

WOW that's a lot. I saw a buck or two going up but not near this pries that you pay Andy.