The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Drums or no drums? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=557642)

jim1960 09-15-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6162728)
Hi Jim,

I have always thought that Richard Shindell's "Wisteria" was such a touching song. I appreciate being reminded of it once more. That violin solo in the middle always gets to me...

- Glenn

Shindell is one of my favorite songwriters and this song is certainly one of his best. I've heard him play the song live a few times and it certainly holds its own without the production but the cd version makes a great song even greater.

slooky 09-17-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 6161565)
Nah, electric drums etc., no good - they always slow down!

Really don't get your quote

Glennwillow 09-17-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slooky (Post 6165017)
Really don't get your quote

Silly Moustache was a real, accomplished drummer at one time. I am not him, obviously, but I am guessing that he means that programmed drums run at exactly one speed. A real drummer can adjust to everyone else. If the band's adrenaline is up, as it usually is during a performance, a real drummer can make adjustments to the increased tempo that often results from an amped-up performance.

I am just guessing based on my own experience. Maybe Silly Moustache will see this and respond. :)

- Glenn

MikeBmusic 09-18-2019 06:44 AM

A drummer who can KEEP the tempo steady is a real asset. The band follows the drummer, not the opposite.
You'd realize how important a steady tempo is if you ever played in a band with a drummer who couldn't (and refused to use a click track or metronome for countdown).
2 minute Beatles songs played too fast are really short!

Nama Ensou 09-18-2019 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 6165316)
A drummer who can KEEP the tempo steady is a real asset. The band follows the drummer, not the opposite.

Absolutely true, with the one caveat, the singer gets to determine what that tempo is, not the drummer.

Quote:

You'd realize how important a steady tempo is if you ever played in a band with a drummer who couldn't (and refused to use a click track or metronome for countdown).
The drummer I just auditioned last week talked about how he always plays with a metronome in his ear, but unfortunately he didn't while playing with me, which we're going to talk about going forward or it's not going to happen at all. :(

On the other hand, I have played with drummers who don't need the click, but they don't seem to be nearly as common as I'd wish they were.

Murphy Slaw 10-14-2019 04:53 AM

I mostly, usually prefer no drums in Acoustic/Americana stuff.

The same goes for Bluegrass...

KevWind 10-14-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 6165041)
Silly Moustache was a real, accomplished drummer at one time. I am not him, obviously, but I am guessing that he means that programmed drums run at exactly one speed. A real drummer can adjust to everyone else. If the band's adrenaline is up, as it usually is during a performance, a real drummer can make adjustments to the increased tempo that often results from an amped-up performance.

I am just guessing based on my own experience. Maybe Silly Moustache will see this and respond. :)

- Glenn

Hard to tell what Silly meant I took it as tongue in cheek irony, meaning "slows down" might be a complaint about a real drummer ???

But to clarify a bit the notion that
Quote:

programmed drums run at exactly one speed".
is actually only correct if one intentionally (locks the midi notes to the grid). On actual "programed drums" .

And perhaps to back up a bit further first we should probably define what is meant by the terms " Electric " drums and "Programed" as well

Because right off the bat, the term "Electric drums " is a misnomer.

There are "Electronic" drums which are a physical drum kit, played by a human drummer and timing wise are no different than a regular drum kit.

There are/were Drum machines both physical boxes, first analog and then digital.
That were locked tempo.

There are now digital virtual instrument drum kits and drum machines, that can be locked to the grid--OR--can be programed to vary in timing or be physically played in via a midi keyboard or pad , and can be as varied in time as any drummer paying a physical drum kit ---- from pretty good, to truly awful---more often than not my playing in via keyboard falls into the latter case :D


And finally (not to anyone in particular) the answer to the OP was and still is "IT DEPENDS" and is totally and only based on what you the producer/performer/songwriter are trying to accomplish, and what YOU feel best serves the song. I am sorry but glittering generalities one way or the other ( while perfectly fine for stating personal preferrence) , are simply insufficient to rise to level of "informing" artistic choice.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=