The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NGD Rainsong Shorty SFT (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303201)

riptonVT 07-18-2013 08:47 AM

NGD Rainsong Shorty SFT

It came last night!! I almost stayed home from work to play it.

First impressions:

1. Tone: Incredible separation of notes. You can hear every note (and therefore your mistakes too!). Really great for those up the neck inverted chords.

2. Action: Never bought a guitar that had the action just right out of the box.

3. Neck: It's like a holiday on my hands. I'm used to playing a modified V Martin. I'm fine with that but when my hands get tired, this is so comfortable.

4. Comfort and Size: Perfect. Even better than my 00-28 because of the cutaway. It's nice not having to squeeze your hand past the 12th fret. Love the short scale.

5. Only one negative: Needs a bit more bass. I'm guessing this is simply because the strings are a bit shop worn. I will change them tonight.

Thank you all for your input.!!!

benderman57 07-18-2013 10:38 AM

Congrats on the Shorty. A very fine carbon guitar for sure!

Strings will make a little bit of difference on the bass aspect of the tone. The Rainsongs are just brighter guitars in general to me than the CA line of guitars. I found that I really liked Elixir Phosphor Bronze on any of my Rainsong guitars. Lisa has said many times on here that she really likes the heavier coated Polywed Elixir's even more. You might lose a little of that clarity you noticed but this may thump up the Bass response just enough.

Anyway have a blast!

Acousticado 07-18-2013 12:16 PM

You may want to try a set of light-mediums. I use Elixir PB Nanos. The slightly heavier gauge of the bass side strings solved the lack of bass punch I wanted on my Taylor, so the same thinking might help on your Shorty.

Doubleneck 07-18-2013 02:12 PM

I think new strings will pop the bass unless your looking for a Dred. I'm happy with the Parlor which is your smaller cousin.

Kindness 07-18-2013 02:20 PM

Congrats! Now if you plan to travel, get the Mono M80 case. It is AWESOME!

AZLiberty 07-20-2013 04:09 PM

Is this one of Ted's AGF custom shorties or one of the regular run instruments?

Blueser 07-21-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itself (Post 3551745)
Congrats! Now if you plan to travel, get the Mono M80 case. It is AWESOME!

Yes...They are nice cases. I have the Reunion Blues Continental and I love it as well. Michael over at MacNichol Guitars is a dealer now and provides the option to purchase the RS with the RB bag. Built like a tank!

AZLiberty 07-21-2013 01:52 PM

Honestly the TKL case that came with my Shorty is one of the nicest cases I have ever seen. Arched lid and some sort of textured material that is NOT Tolex.

Fits perfectly as well.

Kindness 07-21-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZLiberty (Post 3555277)
Honestly the TKL case that came with my Shorty is one of the nicest cases I have ever seen. Arched lid and some sort of textured material that is NOT Tolex.

Fits perfectly as well.

But if you are taking it thru an airport, the original case is heavy! The M80 is only 6lbs!!!

riptonVT 07-21-2013 03:04 PM

String Experiment No. 1: I thought I'd try some John Pearse phosphor bronze and silk strings (Light Medium)... Really the same as PB Lights in gauges. I thought they might mellow the trebles and bring out the base. I think they sound good but I'm still wishing a bit more base.

Next, I think will be D'addario Phosphor Bronze Lights. But I'll play these for a while because the silk strings are some fast.

Blueser 07-22-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riptonVT (Post 3555348)
String Experiment No. 1: I thought I'd try some John Pearse phosphor bronze and silk strings (Light Medium)... Really the same as PB Lights in gauges. I thought they might mellow the trebles and bring out the base. I think they sound good but I'm still wishing a bit more base.

Next, I think will be D'addario Phosphor Bronze Lights. But I'll play these for a while because the silk strings are some fast.

Also, don't discount using different types of picks. I typically use a Blue Chip pick for my wood acoustics, but I find that it sounds a bit thinner and brighter with CF guitars, so I have been using the Dunlop Ultex picks with my CF guitars. I usually use the Ultex picks with my electrics, but it has subdued some of the glassiness of the CF guitars. Still working on the picks, but I really like the D'Addarios on the shorty!