The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TC BodyRez- Anyone? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399768)

davidguevara80 09-05-2015 12:18 PM

TC BodyRez- Anyone?

Is anyone using this new pedal? I have been thinking about getting it. I was wondering how would this work with the Venue DI.

Petty1818 09-05-2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidguevara80 (Post 4627817)
Is anyone using this new pedal? I have been thinking about getting it. I was wondering how would this work with the Venue DI.

This is not a big thread but one user discusses their experiences with the Body Rez. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ind...#post-20548805

For the price I really want to check one out. In the demoes it sounds like it thins out the tone far too much with a UST pickup but again, it's so cheap that it's worth a try.

SalFromChatham 09-05-2015 06:14 PM

I bought the Play Acoustic, and returned it due to its complexity (to me). The Body Rezz actually worked out nicely. I was impressed. The stand alone pedal might be a nice preamp.

Petty1818 09-05-2015 07:52 PM

You have probably seen this video but I thought I would post it anyway. It's the best demo that I have seen have the Body Rez since it shows how the pedal sounds at different settings and an actual UST (B-Band) is used instead of the Taylor ES2. I was actually quite impressed with the improvement. It doesn't make a UST sound like an unplugged guitar but it definitely seems to tame the quack and add some air to the tone. I actual prefer what it does to the tone over the Lr Baggs Session. The cool thing is, the Body Rez seems to work well with a variety of pickups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ldTNGbTVRI

pmarino 09-07-2015 09:55 AM

I took a chance and ordered one. It's due tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts after playing with it. I like what I've seen online, so hopefully it will be a good tool.

Petty1818 09-07-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmarino (Post 4629697)
I took a chance and ordered one. It's due tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts after playing with it. I like what I've seen online, so hopefully it will be a good tool.

Please do! From what I have heard so far through video demoes, the BodyRez seems to have a sweet spot that works best, which is around the 12 o'clock setting. The more you go past 12, the more it seems to boost the bass and brightness. I read a review on MusicRadar.com and they found the same thing. I am interested to hear what you think.

pmarino 09-08-2015 11:41 AM

So, the BodyRez came late today, and I've only been able to do some light testing for the past 30 minutes or so. Using my Blueridge guitar with a Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup, I went from the BodyRez to my Loudbox Mini. The pedal really does get boomy pretty quickly. I typically play with an Aura Spectrum DI, which I like, but I was interested in the BodyRez for its smaller footprint. The boomy nature of the BodyRez was very noticeable (especially compared to the Aura), and I did experience feedback issues. I toggled the pedal between the two phase options and did find one setting that was better, but I still had to EQ the heck out of the low end on the amp to avoid feedback issues. All of this was with the 'body' knob on the pedal turned anywhere from 'noon' to 'all the way'.

When the 'boominess' was reasonably controlled, I liked the tone I got, but it did take some doing. I will play around with it some more tomorrow, and I would like to see how it performs at a show with a PA before making any final decisions (I have some coming up). I will try to report back from those experiences. Anyway, that's the quick reaction from here.

Petty1818 09-08-2015 12:45 PM

Interesting report, thanks! The BodyRez is marketed as being a super easy way to improve the tone of a plugged in acoustic. It's a bit disappointing to hear that you you needed to work with your eq a bunch to make it sound best. I was hoping for a quick fix.

It's funny but I found that the Aura Spectrum thinned out my tone so I was hoping the Body Rez would fatten it up. It sounds like it adds a bit too much bass though.

pmarino 09-08-2015 12:53 PM

Yeah, the Aura is definitely a bit thinner than the BodyRez, but I do like it. Again, the smaller size is what attracted me to the TC pedal. I'll fool around with it again tomorrow and spend some time with it, and then report back. I did get the sense tonight in my quick test that there could be a sweet spot there that would generate a lovely tone.

pmarino 09-09-2015 05:06 AM

Just a quick follow up. I played with the BodyRez again today with the same set up as yesterday (Blueridge to my Loudbox Mini). I kept the 'body' knob at around 11 o'clock (instead of pushing it too far as I did yesterday), and I was able to get a very nice tone without too much boominess. I think that's where I'll keep it for now. Once I get it to a show with a PA, we'll see if it works there, but for now I think it will be a nice addition to my gear.

pmarino 09-09-2015 08:01 AM

Okay, so I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I recorded a basic chord progression today to give a sense of what the BodyRez is doing. Here's the soundcloud link (it's a private link, which doesn't seem to work as an embedded link):

https://soundcloud.com/philip-marino/bodyrez/s-o4wwY

Guitar: Blueridge BR-70A
Pickup: Fishman Matrix Infinity
Amp: Fishman Loudbox Mini

Recorded by a Zoom H2n a few feet from the amp.

Clip 1) No BodyRez
Clip 2) BodyRez at 11 o'clock
Clip 3) BodyRez at 3 o'clock

Probably best to listen with headphones.

southpaw pete 09-09-2015 09:21 AM

Thanks for posting the clips. I think it sounds quite nice. Adds a little "air" to the sound. And I like that you could turn it up to 3 0'clock and still sound good (BTW, I didn't hear any boominess at 3 o'clock). I remember with my Aura I couldn't really turn it past noon without getting some phasey weirdness happening.

Also, I was thinking about your set up, and seeing as you have the Matrix Infinity installed in your guitar... which way do you have that little internal bass switch going? I have the Infinity Matrix in my Guild jumbo, and most of the time I love it switched to that bass-ier setting, but then on other systems, rather than going in and adjusting EQ elsewhere in the chain, I simply switch to the less bass setting and it makes all the difference. Maybe you already tried that and I missed in the thread.

But again, I appreciate your sharing of your experience. I am planning to buy the TC Play Acoustic (once I sell some gear to help fund it haha), and am excited to hear how the BodyRez feature sounds with my guitar.

pmarino 09-09-2015 09:30 AM

Yeah, I was thinking that I finally found a set-up with the BodyRez that wasn't too boomy! I think I'm going to shoot for 1 to 2 o'clock when I play it out with a PA, and go from there. I do wish that it could run on a battery, but that's not a killer. Same for me with the Aura, btw. I rarely go past about 35% on the blend knob.

As for the Matrix Infinity, yeah, I tried playing with the switch, but I simply prefer it in the 'bassier' position. When I played it today on the other setting it sounded way too thin/trebly for my taste. I have ordered a soundhole cover from lutehole.com for the Blueridge, as it's a VERY responsive guitar. I'm hoping that will also help with some of the boominess when playing live.

After my tests today, I think the BodyRez could be very nice. As I say, that depends on a live test, not just an amp in my living room! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by southpaw pete (Post 4632075)
Thanks for posting the clips. I think it sounds quite nice. Adds a little "air" to the sound. And I like that you could turn it up to 3 0'clock and still sound good (BTW, I didn't hear any boominess at 3 o'clock). I remember with my Aura I couldn't really turn it past noon without getting some phasey weirdness happening.

Also, I was thinking about your set up, and seeing as you have the Matrix Infinity installed in your guitar... which way do you have that little internal bass switch going? I have the Infinity Matrix in my Guild jumbo, and most of the time I love it switched to that bass-ier setting, but then on other systems, rather than going in and adjusting EQ elsewhere in the chain, I simply switch to the less bass setting and it makes all the difference. Maybe you already tried that and I missed in the thread.

But again, I appreciate your sharing of your experience. I am planning to buy the TC Play Acoustic (once I sell some gear to help fund it haha), and am excited to hear how the BodyRez feature sounds with my guitar.

davidguevara80 09-09-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmarino (Post 4631973)
Okay, so I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I recorded a basic chord progression today to give a sense of what the BodyRez is doing. Here's the soundcloud link (it's a private link, which doesn't seem to work as an embedded link):

https://soundcloud.com/philip-marino/bodyrez/s-o4wwY

Guitar: Blueridge BR-70A
Pickup: Fishman Matrix Infinity
Amp: Fishman Loudbox Mini

Recorded by a Zoom H2n a few feet from the amp.

Clip 1) No BodyRez
Clip 2) BodyRez at 11 o'clock
Clip 3) BodyRez at 3 o'clock

Probably best to listen with headphones.

Thanks for sharing! To me, your guitar sounds amazing already without the pedal, you have those mids, but are good mids not the usual quacky mids. So, I don't think that the pedal is doing something better for you. But that is subjetive.

pmarino 09-09-2015 09:44 AM

Yeah, I have to say... The Matrix Infinity is a great piezo-stye pickup and it does sound quite nice on its own. Plus, the new Blueridge is simply lovely. I haven't touched my J-45 in a while, and I love the J-45. :)

I do think the BodyRez is adding something nice to the tone, but it's nice to know that I don't NEED it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidguevara80 (Post 4632085)
Thanks for sharing! To me, your guitar sounds amazing already without the pedal, you have those mids, but are good mids not the usual quacky mids. So, I don't think that the pedal is doing something better for you. But that is subjetive.