The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Any Martin JR. owners here... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569523)

gibpicker 01-16-2020 06:08 PM

Any Martin JR. owners here...

Have heard some nice things about them on the forum and have a few questions like: Do they actually sound like a Martin, and i'm guessing you must like the sound or you wouldn't have bought one? How is the neck/playability, and would you compare the sound anywhere in the ball park to upper end Martins? It's only $500! Thanks.

sloar 01-16-2020 06:58 PM

I have the older Martin Junior 2 and I love it. Yes it sound like a Martin, but I wouldn’t compare it to a high end Martin. But I do think it sounds better than it’s retail price.

steelvibe 01-16-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sloar (Post 6267116)
I have the older Martin Junior 2 and I love it. Yes it sound like a Martin, but I wouldn’t compare it to a high end Martin. But I do think it sounds better than it’s retail price.

I have the same guitar and love mine. I couldn't have responded to the OP any better. They are such a bargain having all solid woods and 1/4" bracing. Maybe why they sound better than the usual $500 guitar?

_Mike_ 01-16-2020 08:49 PM

I too have an early sapele D JR. Paid $350 used.

I play regularly at lunch with a colleague who keeps a GS Mini as his “work guitar”. To my ears, the D JR vs the GS Mini is the typical Martin vs Taylor sound argument: The Martin sounds like a Martin; the Taylor, like a Taylor. You can hear the pedigree of each guitar as related to their larger and more expensive brethren.

I wouldn’t compare it to a guitar worth 10 times as much, but it travels, sounds and plays exceptionally well for what it is. Very happy with mine.

stephenT 01-16-2020 09:13 PM

I have an older Martin D Jr. Playability is excellent on mine and it sounds very good.

I will say I've played D-18s I didn't enjoy as much,..

gibpicker 01-16-2020 09:22 PM

Thanks for the thoughts! I have a Yamaha FS800 for a couch beater, but am looking for a OM with better sound and will be looking at the JR. and some others trying to keep it below $1000 at the big box store.

Kitkatjoe 01-16-2020 11:57 PM

Five and Counting 😙

The first juniors got my vote. They do sound like a Martin dreadnought. All 5 of mine have that bass that defines the Martin dreadnought. The sustain is very good also. I love the first junior. You just can't go wrong with the guitar.🤗

gibpicker 01-17-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitkatjoe (Post 6267290)
The first juniors got my vote. They do sound like a Martin dreadnought. All 5 of mine have that bass that defines the Martin dreadnought. The sustain is very good also. I love the first junior. You just can't go wrong with the guitar.🤗

Kitkatjoe - Have to ask, why 5?

Cool555 01-17-2020 02:45 AM

Any Martin JR. owners here...

I have a Dread Junior 2 (all Sapele). It has a nice warm tone. It’s a great guitar for its price. Its Richlite fretboard n bridge makes it look new and I think it will last longer than ebony or rosewood fretboard and bridges.

SpruceTop 01-17-2020 03:39 AM

I just traded in my 2016 Martin D Junior and 2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa on another larger guitar. They were cute and sounded good but if I want a "comfortably-sized" guitar I just play my Taylor 322ce and get a really fine tone along with better playing ease. About the only real use I can see for a small guitar like the D Junior or GS Mini is for airline travel. The rest of the time mine just sat in their gig bags at home while I played my other guitars.

Glennm 01-17-2020 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibpicker (Post 6267208)
Thanks for the thoughts! I have a Yamaha FS800 for a couch beater, but am looking for a OM with better sound and will be looking at the JR. and some others trying to keep it below $1000 at the big box store.

If you’re into the OM shape, Martin just released a 000-Jr too with the same/similar construction as the D-Jr. I think it will be a popular choice.

Kitkatjoe 01-17-2020 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibpicker (Post 6267298)
Kitkatjoe - Have to ask, why 5?

When I saw that the original model was being changed, I bought four more. 😝

slooky 01-17-2020 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennm (Post 6267352)
If you’re into the OM shape, Martin just released a 000-Jr too with the same/similar construction as the D-Jr. I think it will be a popular choice.

I too have the Martin Jr D, its a fantastic guitar. Also I have the 000Cjr-10E,
a little smaller and it gets the same love.

drawshot1975 01-17-2020 08:09 AM

I travel with my older DJr-2, quite often.

Sounds like a Martin should, in my opinion. Love the bass, overall tone, and wider nut width. SO comfortable to play, and sounds fantastic.

JERZEY 01-17-2020 08:22 AM

The Martin JR series is pretty sweet. The stock strings dont do them justice though.. You will be hard pressed to find a guitar that size that sounds so big especially at the bottom end. I sold my GS Mini when I bought the revamped Dread JR.

At that price point I have an Eastman e1om that I also use as a travel guitar. Its a shorter scale full size OM and its AMAZING! I cant believe it only cost me 500$.