The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Epiphone masterbilt dr-500mce or something under $700 ? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353859)

Jaymon 08-20-2014 09:07 PM

Epiphone masterbilt dr-500mce or something under $700 ?

Hey I'm looking for a 2nd acoustic guitar after playing on a $100 laminate for the past few months. After about 10 trips to the guitar store I still cant make up my mind. My budget is about $700 the most. Heres a few I played that I liked, could use some advice with these models or suggestions for other makes/models.

Epiphone masterbilt dr-500mce
a used taylor 214ce
breedlove passport mahogony
seagull maritime (i think) it had electronics and cutaway and had a $100 rebate and the neck wasnt as girthy as the other models.

thanks in advance :)

GuitarLight 08-20-2014 09:45 PM

I own one of these. The Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE is probably the best bang for the buck you will find. They are 100% all solid woods, and are fitted with genuine bone nut and saddle, pick up, and are Plek'd for a good easy set up and playing, and beautiful too with burst options.... But the best part is the tone and how they sound! The Taylor is just a laminated guitar. the others IMO do not sound as rich as the Masterbilt models.

FloridaGull 08-20-2014 10:02 PM

I strongly suggest you check out the Walden guitars website - www.waldenguitars.com

Also, any of the Godin acoustics - Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, and Art & Lutherie - www.godinguitars.com

Finally, you can get a Guild GAD series guitar in your price range - and I highly recommend them.

Eastman as well...

Enjoy the hunt! :guitar:

ronbo 08-20-2014 11:04 PM

There's a Masterbuilt AJ500 Rosewood for sale here for a nice price that might fit the bill...don't know the seller, but have read good reviews about that series of Masterbuilts. Looks to be a nice find!

Jaymon 08-21-2014 04:11 PM

Wow, quick replies so far

Wow I just posted this last night and I got 3 responses already with opinions and more recommendations. I love this forum and I'm glad I signed up. I just wanna say that I started playing guitar at a perfect time in my life, it's been 3 months and I am addicteddddddd and play for hours every day. Used to DJ, got boring. Feel free to keep posting opinions and suggestions and I'll try out anything recommended to me.

I'll let you guys know what I end up buying and why I chose it :)

HarleypsychRN 08-21-2014 06:28 PM

I own three Masterbilts and highly recommend them.

SalFromChatham 08-21-2014 07:12 PM

I own the AJ500 rosewood for sale down underneath. Pm me for questions if you like. Tell me about what you play, and your style etc. I can't tell you how many times I have had guitars of mine for sale, and talked potential buyers out of the guitar, because I knew it wasn't right for them.

hiddenmickey 08-21-2014 08:43 PM

I have a Masterbilt DR500MCE and love it. It gets more playing time than my Gibson J45. The electronics are pretty decent, too.

Boneyard75 08-21-2014 08:58 PM

I own an AJ500RE & a DR500MCE ....Both are great guitars....sweet tone & the Esonic2 electronics are my favorite in a gigging guitar....
Can't go wrong with these & they are a great value....
Bone

Daveyo 08-21-2014 09:01 PM

The Masterbuilts are cool guitars, but try a Larrivee before you buy anything.
You should be able to find one for what you want to pay.
Dave

Jaymon 08-23-2014 12:57 AM

Hey guys, I played a few more guitars today and I still feel like the masterbilt is the top contender in my hunt. Have another question. They seem setup pretty well right out of the box, have you guys had yours setup after purchase? Because I find that I can bar way easier on this guitar then any others I've tried. Maybe the "plekd" frets have something to do with it.

@ The guy selling his masterbilt - like I said, I've only been playing for 3 months but I feel like I'm really enjoying playing with my fingers as opposed to a pick, however I like to get real loud with the pick just as much. But I can tell I'm gonna be into finger style which this guitar seems to be perfect for so far.
Please just pm me some pics and a price.

Still looking for a retailer that sells larivee to test them. Having trouble in NJ finding one.

SalFromChatham 08-23-2014 03:09 AM

Here is the link to mine, with pics and price. I am in NJ also. You could play it...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=353261

pszy22 08-23-2014 04:04 AM

I recently read that Epiphone has re-released the Masterbilt AJ-500M. You may want to take a look at it as well. I have an older version, am very happy with it.

have fun,

HarleypsychRN 08-24-2014 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymon (Post 4097836)
Hey guys, I played a few more guitars today and I still feel like the masterbilt is the top contender in my hunt. Have another question. They seem setup pretty well right out of the box, have you guys had yours setup after purchase? Because I find that I can bar way easier on this guitar then any others I've tried. Maybe the "plekd" frets have something to do with it.

@ The guy selling his masterbilt - like I said, I've only been playing for 3 months but I feel like I'm really enjoying playing with my fingers as opposed to a pick, however I like to get real loud with the pick just as much. But I can tell I'm gonna be into finger style which this guitar seems to be perfect for so far.
Please just pm me some pics and a price.

Still looking for a retailer that sells larivee to test them. Having trouble in NJ finding one.

I always take any guitar I buy to my tech for a complete professional set-up the way I like it.

steelarts 08-24-2014 03:45 AM

I had a Masterbilt AJ500 and it remains, to this day, the only guitar I've ever regretted selling. It was fab, and the best bang-for-buck anyone could want and was even better after a set up.

It always makes me smile when I look at the Gibson/Epiphone history and I often think Epiphone must be the thorn in Gibson's side as they were bought and developed as Gibson's cheaper brand but often far exceeded in expectations and sometimes produced guitars which seriously rivalled the best from the mother company. It's only my opinion but I think it's happening again with the Masterbilts. All solid woods, great tone and seriously good guitars in their own right and at a phenomenal price! The only thing I didn't like was the Shadow electrics but at this price point one can't really complain.

I love certain Taylor guitars but I don't think the lower end models really represent good value and I'd take a Masterbilt over a 1,2 and even 3 series Taylor any day!