The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Saddle material Q? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177972)

gordee 02-27-2010 09:27 AM

Saddle material Q?

I'm trying to get a bit more clarity out of the low bass strings particularly when I tune down to C.

Is there a consensus that one particular material renders better separation and clarity over another?

What's your experience? Thanks!

Michael T 02-27-2010 09:42 AM

Out of plastic, tusq, bone, and FWI I have to say the FWI so far for me. "But", I have a WAHI in route from Bob Colosi for my dread for 2 reasons. 1st because I have an older FWI non-compensated set pretty low on 'er now and want to address some low E intonation issues plus raise it up a couple 64ths. 2nd, though the descriptions are sonically similar I am hoping for a bit better shimmer/volume at the high E & B, & being a harder material would lend it towards that without compromising and possibly improving separation and sustain. I am pretty stoked about trying it and have been to believe my assumptions are likely right. I let ya know after I get it in there and some of the "new" toy glow dies down a bit.

arie 03-02-2010 12:36 PM

Another thing to consider when tuning down as low as c is the scale of the guitar. The longer scale necks keep the string tension up and maintain the clarity of the strings a bit. Just swapping out saddle material may or may not get you what you want. The shorter scale guitars tend to get mushy when drop tuning.

SteveS 03-04-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordee (Post 2142648)
I'm trying to get a bit more clarity out of the low bass strings particularly when I tune down to C........

I know this answer isn't exactly what you are looking for. (Sometimes the best answers are unexpected.)

Forget about saddle material. Use a heavier gage string. The tension drop has much more of an impact than your saddle material. There is no material available to make up for the lack of energy when tension is dramatically reduced by tuning down that low.

SRVis#1 03-04-2010 03:07 PM

I agree, I run medium/heavy strings on any guitar i plan to tune down often.

Tone Gopher 03-04-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveS (Post 2149092)
Forget about saddle material. Use a heavier gage string. The tension drop has much more of an impact than your saddle material. There is no material available to make up for the lack of energy when tension is dramatically reduced by tuning down that low.

We have a BINGO!

gordee 03-05-2010 08:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm well aware of the difference in tension drop when tuning down and the effect it has on tone. Both the Charis and Ryan are longer scale guitars so it compensates a bit. I should have left the part about tuning down to C out of the post because everyone is focusing on that.

I'm looking for more clarity in the bass registers period. I tune down to C all of the time with light strings and it's not an issue. Heavier strings may be better when tuning down but it doesn't provide more clarity or definition in general. In fact I find that though it does allow for a deeper bass response it may actually be detrimental to the overall string to string balance, at least to my ear.

I do appreciate the input but the real question still is which, if any of the available saddle materials renders more separation and clarity?

SteveS 03-05-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordee (Post 2149799)
...........I do appreciate the input but the real question still is which, if any of the available saddle materials renders more separation and clarity?

Gordee,
I'm sorry that I didn't answer your question the first time. I failed to notice your guitar list which would have prompted a different answer.

Call Bob Colosi. I think he is you best source to answer your question.