The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   A Kinnaird Deep Body OM for cigarfan (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454390)

TomB'sox 05-03-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 5327878)
Love a good adi top, and you're right--that one definitely looks special! Beautiful grain and creamy color to it.

What material is the bridge plate?

They usually use Padauk, this looks to be the same to me. They say it rings like a bell so they like to use that....Of course I could be completely wrong!!!

TomB'sox 05-03-2017 06:25 PM

Dennis, I love those shots, the thick just glued on braces to the beautifully carved braces, what a transition. There really is something about this one that makes me believe that top is special!!!

Steve Kinnaird 05-03-2017 08:25 PM

Glad I checked in tonight, as I didn't even make it into the shop today.
Ryan--that looks nice. Of course, I'll want to put me old paws on that tomorrow, and invoke the tone fairies to pay their visit.

Oh, and that is a special Italian spruce top...with Adi braces.
Let's hope they can reconcile their differences, forget their intra-species rivalry and work together, though they grew an ocean apart. ;)

Steve

nacluth 05-03-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 5328051)
Ryan--that looks nice. You are an amazing employee! I'm really considering giving you a raise and paid vacation time. Maybe even a company car - let's talk about more over drinks tomorrow.

Wow, thanks boss. I was pleased with this carve job, but you are too generous. You know I do this for the love of the job and to make our customers feel like they are joining a family. But, I won't turn down the drinks. ;)

Steve Kinnaird 05-03-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 5328071)
Wow, thanks boss. I was pleased with this carve job, but you are too generous...you know I don't know what I'm doing. So I'll keep doing this simply for the love of the job. Over DP's let's talk about how to make our customers pay for a raise? Paid vacation? New car?

Whoa there, padawan. The Force is strong with you, but not that strong.
DP's it is!

cigarfan 05-04-2017 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 5327878)
Love a good adi top, and you're right--that one definitely looks special! Beautiful grain and creamy color to it.

What material is the bridge plate?

Actually, the top is Alpine Spruce. The braces are Adi. Steve and Ryan identified this top when I said I was looking for "the best". I have high hopes.

Bridge plate is Padauk. Ryan says "it's strong and musical". Works for me! :)

Mark Hatcher 05-04-2017 04:37 AM

That is coming along really nicely! I like the use of all of the inlaid woods.
It's fun following along on this one!

Mark

David Wren 05-04-2017 09:13 AM

This is shaping up to be one spectacular instrument ... love it!

cigarfan 05-04-2017 04:48 PM

Thanks Guys ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 5327894)
Dennis, I love those shots, the thick just glued on braces to the beautifully carved braces, what a transition. There really is something about this one that makes me believe that top is special!!!

I'm with you on that! I think the guys have picked out a choice one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 5328051)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nacluth (Post 5328071)
Wow, thanks boss. I was pleased with this carve job, but you are too generous...you know I don't know what I'm doing. So I'll keep doing this simply for the love of the job. Over DP's let's talk about how wonderful our customers are and how they deserve a free paid vacation and a fancy car on us to go with their new guitars!

Whoa there, padawan. The Force is strong with you, and getting stronger.
DP's it is! We may as well give them a half off coupon for their next commision as well!
Steve

You guys are some generous folks! I always knew you had it in you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 5328219)
That is coming along really nicely! I like the use of all of the inlaid woods.
It's fun following along on this one!

Mark

Well thank you Mark. I'm glad to have you following along! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wren (Post 5328475)
This is shaping up to be one spectacular instrument ... love it!

Thanks David. Happy to have you along for the journey as well. :)

cigarfan 05-04-2017 04:52 PM

Almost a box ... it is

You know it's official when the luthier has affixed their signature to the underside of the top. This date will always hold a special significance for me.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4180/...d2a66d_o_d.jpg

Then the label representing the product to whom ever may peak inside. Or whomever may be hovering their nose over the hole for a whiff!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4190/...5dfa8c_o_d.jpg

I don't know why but when I see this part of a build I always think of poor Gulliver and those pesky Lilliputians. Never fear ... you will be released tomorrow!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4192/...c764e5_o_d.jpg

I would imagine tomorrow we will see some routing for binding. Can't wait to see the box as one piece.

TomB'sox 05-04-2017 05:04 PM

You know, I see the beauty, but now I feel like I am looking at sound...I feel like I can hear this one already and I KNOW you will NOT be disappointed!!!

Nemoman 05-04-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 5329049)
This date will always hold a special significance for me.

Ahhh yes--the Star Wars guitar:

May the Fourth be with you...

Godfather 05-04-2017 05:50 PM

So....Dennis, I think you should do some sort of live, online broadcast of your beautiful new piece of functional art, from a visual walk around to the first strum through the first few songs. Heck, I bet folks would pay to see and hear the unveiling, I would.

I Kinnairdly wait to seeing the finished product. This is by far the most beautiful guitar build I have ever seen.

nacluth 05-04-2017 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godfather (Post 5329117)
I Kinnairdly wait to seeing the finished product. This is by far the most beautiful guitar build I have ever seen.

Wow! Now that is some high praise. We're very happy you like what you see. Dennis has been a great customer to build for. He's had a clear vision of what he wanted the whole time. Not necessarily every detail, but when presented design options, he could state clearly how he wanted to move forward. He knew from the beginning that he wanted color in the instrument. As luthiers, we know how hard it is to balance an appropriate color palette for an instrument, but Dennis could see where he wanted to go. This has been a great partnership, and his vision deserves some praise.

Also, great use of Kinnairdly - a great southern word. Our second reunion t-shirts designed by our patron saint read, "Kinnairdly live without 'em!" While it's a little on the nose for a marketing campaign, we try to live up to the sentiment.

Thanks for following along.

JoeCharter 05-04-2017 10:29 PM

That rosette is so beautiful! Wow!