The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Santa cruz om/pw is it worth it? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670166)

Abuyuanrules 05-26-2023 05:13 AM

Santa cruz om/pw is it worth it?

Hello all, Im on the fence about getting this santa cruz on the used market. The seller states “player grade” and has it on the market at $2200 usd. He states 3 cracks on the top which has been fixed by a very reputable shop. Otherwise everything else is good. There are no Santa cruz dealers here so ive never played one. He sent me a sound clip and it sounds wonderful. At this price with the mentioned damage, is it a good value?? Any answers would be greatly appreciated

The Bard Rocks 05-26-2023 05:32 AM

If the repaired top cracks do not bother you, I'd say it is a very good value. Others with a better knowledge of Santa Cruz will be more helpful once they discover your post.

warfrat73 05-26-2023 05:55 AM

It certainly seems like a reasonable price, provided that they are in fact well repaired, as the last couple clean ones that went used on Reverb were in the $4K+ territory.

sevenpalms 05-26-2023 05:58 AM

As long as the shop that did the work is reputable...I think you could always get your money back out of it if you didn't like it. Some of the best sounding guitars have bumps, cracks, cosmetic issues.....

Abuyuanrules 05-26-2023 06:29 AM

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I feel like he can come down a bit more to make me feel better about my purchase lol waiting what he has to say

Glennwillow 05-26-2023 10:21 AM

I own a Santa Cruz OM/PW and it is the guitar I reach for first of about a dozen good ones that I have. It is a really good sounding guitar by my standards. Here is a video I did some time ago based on a Carl Miner theme comparing a Collings OM1A, the Santa Cruz OM/PW, and an Olson SJ.

- Glenn

Sadie-f 05-26-2023 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abuyuanrules (Post 7256843)
Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I feel like he can come down a bit more to make me feel better about my purchase lol waiting what he has to say

If I were you, I'd ask for 3 day trial, rather than price drop. Your call of course. As long as it's well repaired, it sounds like a hell of a good guitar for the $$.

Zissou Intern 05-26-2023 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sadie-f (Post 7257082)
If I were you, I'd ask for 3 day trial, rather than price drop. Your call of course. As long as it's well repaired, it sounds like a hell of a good guitar for the $$.

Agreed, fully.

Repaired cracks are no worries.

hifivic 05-26-2023 01:01 PM

Sounds very tasty Glenn, surprised the Collings wasn't shrill and the Goodall was a bit muted but then again I'm a SCGC fan!

tuner440 05-26-2023 01:55 PM

In 2015 I scored a player grade 2011 OM/PW with bumps, dents, and a repaired center seam crack for $1,950. These days, you can't touch a clean used one for under $3,5000. If the guitar has good action geometry (healthy saddle height and good neck angle), is structurally sound, and sounds good, then go for it. $2,200 is a screaming good price. These are wonderful guitars. BTW, they are $7,495 new.

airborne1 05-26-2023 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 7257030)
I own a Santa Cruz OM/PW and it is the guitar I reach for first of about a dozen good ones that I have. It is a really good sounding guitar by my standards. Here is a video I did some time ago based on a Carl Miner theme comparing a Collings OM1A, the Santa Cruz OM/PW, and an Olson SJ.

- Glenn

All three guitars sound absolutely beautiful to my ears!

If I owned them, I wouldn’t know which to reach for first! A problem I would love to have lol!

Mr. Bill 05-26-2023 03:04 PM

No one can answer this question for you.

Joe Beamish 05-26-2023 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Bill (Post 7257200)
No one can answer this question for you.

Agreed. I wouldn’t buy any acoustic guitar without time to play it first.

Monty Christo 05-26-2023 03:18 PM

Call me cautious, but I would not buy a repaired guitar that I've never seen or played, unless it had a no-fault return policy and I had an experienced tech available to inspect it upon receipt.

Abuyuanrules 05-26-2023 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 7257030)

- Glenn

Amazing Glenn thank you