The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What style of music is this? video (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157150)

hkoros 06-19-2009 08:27 AM

What style of music is this? video

For the intro....Is it blues or funk or jazz or something else?
I want to learn this kinda of style, not sure where though, seems pretty original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOVHbSdd6ik

kscobie8 06-19-2009 09:17 AM

It's not jazz, or funk really. There's some blues elements in there, but it's mostly just flashy pop-rock. He's playing Em and A chords, which allow for that slappy, open string stuff to work pretty well.

Bel isi,
-kyle

mapletrees 06-19-2009 09:56 AM

search google and youtube on 'percussive guitar'

Brent Hutto 06-19-2009 10:56 AM

Is there an ad hoc committee operating to guarantee that every 72 hours we get another thread about guys pounding on guitars? This has got to be at least the 50th thread I've seen on the forum over the last couple years about variations on this stuff. It wasn't entirely original when Michael Hedges was doing it 25+ years ago and it certainly isn't new nowadays.

What style of music is it? I'd call it "rhythmic wankery".

Herb Hunter 06-19-2009 11:27 AM

It seems more like a technique than a musical style to me. One could use that technique on music from any genre.

ljguitar 06-19-2009 11:29 AM

Hi hkoros...
Don't think we've met yet. Hello and welcome to the group.

For me the percussive, hammering, tapping, acrobatic playing version of guitaring are interesting - for about a minute and a half.

For any of that style playing to capture my attention beyond that, players need to employ melody, and harmony and more diverse chord use than most who play this way do...

Some artists who might show you more of the style are Khaki King, Andy McKee and Preston Reed (etc).

Brent Hutto 06-19-2009 11:34 AM

In my opinion a Djembe makes a far more toneful and varied percussion instrument than an acoustic guitar. Of course you can't play a chord-melody version of Shenandoah on a Djembe...

deltoid 06-19-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 1879842)
Hi hkoros...
........ For any of that style playing to capture my attention beyond that, players need to employ melody, and harmony and more diverse chord use than most who play this way do...

Some artists who might show you more of the style are Khaki King, Andy McKee and Preston Reed (etc).

Also, don't miss Don Ross. There are lots of youtube videos of him. I like most of his work. He's definitely full of talent.

mapletrees 06-19-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapletrees (Post 1879771)
search google and youtube on 'percussive guitar'

actually...

'percussive strumming'

'percussive acoustic'

'percussive playing'

'percussive rhythm'

bring you to more hits I think...

sorry if that's completely obvious (!)

Fambroski 06-26-2009 08:52 AM

Style?

if you're talking about music style it's rock or pop. (IMO of course).
Guitar style? Hm... Simply rrrreal good. Even though I'm a guitarist I'm not really a fan of the guitar as I am a fan of just music. With that said, I love your voice.

Ps. Is this a cover tune (I'm out of the loop)?

vicov 06-26-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto (Post 1879818)

Oh how I laughed

Backpocketnj 07-02-2009 05:11 AM

I agree that you should look up Don Ross. Some of his stuff has a ton of groove along with being solid songs.

chicago12string 07-04-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Is there an ad hoc committee operating to guarantee that every 72 hours we get another thread about guys pounding on guitars? This has got to be at least the 50th thread I've seen on the forum over the last couple years about variations on this stuff. It wasn't entirely original when Michael Hedges was doing it 25+ years ago and it certainly isn't new nowadays.

Nothing like a good wanking, I'll always say..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwwpXvQDsjc

FutureFolkie 07-04-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Agreed 100%

mmmaak 07-04-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

:roll::roll::roll:

I don't think I've seen Brent so annoyed before!
I can see why some people (especially beginners) would be attracted to this kind of playing. While not musical to my ears, it's quite impressive (for the first minute or so), particularly to non-guitarists. When first coming back to the instrument after a long hiatus, I too dabbled in some "rhythmic wankery" for a while, but then got jaded and moved on. I think most of us grow out of that phase after a while, or simply never bother in the first place.