The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hatcher's Studio 2021 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601295)

Mark Hatcher 07-17-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomB'sox (Post 6766331)
Great job Mark, those personal touches with the logo and Applewood are make it all worthwhile!

Thanks Tom, these kinds of details are fun to develope and carry out.

Bruce Sexauer 07-17-2021 08:12 PM

Is "Kingwood" d. Camatillo?

Guitars44me 07-18-2021 09:08 AM

Desert Ironwood

"The Ironwood is perhaps the best binding and fretboard wood there is. It shows no pores, it's hard as nails, shines up amazingly and reacts very little to changes in heat and humidity. Everything you want in a trim wood."

Hard to go wrong with " the best". Haha

John K did my FB and bridge on the first Big Gun in D I. Off to look for pics...

Your new builds are really beautiful Mark!

Salud

Paul

Guitars44me 07-18-2021 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this works:Attachment 59647

Guitars44me 07-18-2021 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 59651. Desert Ironwood bridge...

Play on gang

Paul

Jamiejoon 07-18-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 6766504)

Bruce, given the geographic distance between them, and the different appearance (to me), I would think Brazilian Kingwood and Mexican "Kingwood" (aka Camatillo) are different species, but I don't know that and haven't been able to find botanical confirmation. Anyway, you would know better than me.

Mark Hatcher 07-18-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 6766504)

I believe Camatillo is Mexican Kingwood which is a smidge lighter weight than Kingwood coming mostly from Brazil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6766748)
"The Ironwood is perhaps the best binding and fretboard wood there is. It shows no pores, it's hard as nails, shines up amazingly and reacts very little to changes in heat and humidity. Everything you want in a trim wood."

Hard to go wrong with " the best". Haha

John K did my FB and bridge on the first Big Gun in D I. Off to look for pics...

Your new builds are really beautiful Mark!

Salud

Paul

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6766756)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6766870)
Attachment 59651. Desert Ironwood bridge...

Play on gang

Paul

Great looking wood isn't it! Thanks for the pictures Paul

Mark

Bruce Sexauer 07-19-2021 09:49 AM

Thank you. I built a guitar from “Kingwood” (Camatillo) 10 years or so ago which was purple-ish, a bit waxy, and extremely heavy. It also had glueing issues. The most obvious unusual tonal characteristic was that it had astounding bass. Because of the glueing issues I chose not to use it again . . . Not that I have ever seen another quartered set on the market.

Joel Teel 07-19-2021 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitars44me (Post 6766756)

I’m sure that it works…..really, really well, as a matter of fact :)

Mark Hatcher 07-20-2021 05:15 AM

Closing up the Box

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer (Post 6767529)
Thank you. I built a guitar from “Kingwood” (Camatillo) 10 years or so ago which was purple-ish, a bit waxy, and extremely heavy. It also had glueing issues. The most obvious unusual tonal characteristic was that it had astounding bass. Because of the glueing issues I chose not to use it again . . . Not that I have ever seen another quartered set on the market.

Thanks for that Bruce. I think the Kingwood from Brazil has much the same properties in regards to gluing. Binding and other trim may be the best use for Kingwood on guitars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joel Teel (Post 6767746)
I’m sure that it works…..really, really well, as a matter of fact :)

Thanks for posting Joel.

I've closed up the body for this Old Town Farm guitar:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5599a9d0_b.jpg

I have the Desert Ironwood binding to bend and I'll need to set up some more for the end graft and arm bevel.

Thanks!
Mark

Nemoman 07-20-2021 04:27 PM

Love all of the wood choices and the personal touches for the Old Town Farm guitar--Bravo!

Mark Hatcher 07-21-2021 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemoman (Post 6768604)
Love all of the wood choices and the personal touches for the Old Town Farm guitar--Bravo!

Thanks Nemoman, These woods are working well together.
This will be the last guitar I started here in Peterborough. It’s great that it is going to one of the older town families. I’ve been building guitars in this town for eight successful years. To me, the Old Town Farm guitar represents my thanks and farewell.

cigarfan 07-21-2021 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher (Post 6768839)
Thanks Nemoman, These woods are working well together.
This will be the last guitar I started here in Peterborough. It’s great that it is going to one of the older town families. I’ve been building guitars in this town for eight successful years. To me, the Old Town Farm guitar represents my thanks and farewell.

Well ... I may have missed it but where is the new shop to open?

Mark Hatcher 07-21-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarfan (Post 6768849)
Well ... I may have missed it but where is the new shop to open?

Karen and I are moving up to Montpelier VT (or close by) at the end of September. We're in the midst of house hunting and selling our house right now. We love the central Vermont area for a number of reasons and there are better opportunities there for Karen's and my work.

The Bard Rocks 07-21-2021 08:04 PM

Well, butter my buns and call me a biscuit. You should move out this way instead (you know what i do for a living....)