The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Acoustic piece on a Taylor 914ce sinker redwood (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552696)

Drop_D 07-22-2019 04:28 PM

Acoustic piece on a Taylor 914ce sinker redwood

There is a demonstration video for the new Taylor 914ce sinker redwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTJVZb9DJAQ

I can't recall the name of this piece. Anyone recognize it?

BTW most demonstration videos I find a bit underwhelming, but this one sounds amazing IMO- a perfectly chosen piece for this guitar.

mercy 07-22-2019 06:28 PM

sounds beautiful but I dont like the asthetics of it.

mattwood 07-22-2019 06:40 PM

Loved the guitar and loved the playing. But using a flatpick played from classical position. Oh the heresy!: ;)

Brucebubs 07-22-2019 06:42 PM

Great sounding clip and welcome to the AGF.

I don't know if that is by 'The Acoustic Centre' in Melbourne, Australia - I'm guessing it is because the US spell it 'center'

gmel555 07-22-2019 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercy (Post 6118846)
sounds beautiful but I dont like the asthetics of it.

I have a sinker top Taylor and agree with you about the aesthetics of the top in the video. I've seen some with broad tan stripes against a darker background which I'm just not drawn to at all. Curious, what you think of my top in this pic? Its okay to be honest, its not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm happy with it. When I ordered it I specifically requested fine grain without broad stripes and an overall consistent color tone appearance across the top (IMHO fine variations/striations are cool, just not broad stripes). The photos don't have the rez to show the sharp fine grain well and a beautiful amber/golden crystalline structure within the grain across the whole top. The slight darker area running from under the bridge to the bottom edge just over the endpin is my shadow getting in the way a bit. Cheers!

charles Tauber 07-22-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop_D (Post 6118764)

BTW most demonstration videos I find a bit underwhelming, but this one sounds amazing IMO- a perfectly chosen piece for this guitar.

I found the bass to decay too quickly and the string noise, due to player’s technique, to be off-putting and detracted from the sound.

Tnfiddler 07-23-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmel555 (Post 6118985)
I have a sinker top Taylor and agree with you about the aesthetics of the top in the video. I've seen some with broad tan stripes against a darker background which I'm just not drawn to at all. Curious, what you think of my top in this pic? Its okay to be honest, its not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm happy with it. When I ordered it I specifically requested fine grain without broad stripes and an overall consistent color tone appearance across the top (IMHO fine variations/striations are cool, just not broad stripes). The photos don't have the rez to show the sharp fine grain well and a beautiful amber/golden crystalline structure within the grain across the whole top. The slight darker area running from under the bridge to the bottom edge just over the endpin is my shadow getting in the way a bit. Cheers!

How could someone not like that?? STUNNING!

Ed66 07-23-2019 07:10 AM

Agreed, gmel555, that top is gorgeous, but I think the one in the video is as well. One of the things I find most aesthetically attractive about sinker redwood tops is the variation in color, even when its as dramatic as is the subject guitar. With sinker, I don't seem to care if there is as much symmetry and color balance as with other tops. Someday I plan to own a sinker redwood top, but it's absolutely a guitar I'd have to play before buying - i'd never buy one otherwise.

gmel555 07-23-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed66 (Post 6119182)
Agreed, gmel555, that top is gorgeous, but I think the one in the video is as well. One of the things I find most aesthetically attractive about sinker redwood tops is the variation in color, even when its as dramatic as is the subject guitar. With sinker, I don't seem to care if there is as much symmetry and color balance as with other tops. Someday I plan to own a sinker redwood top, but it's absolutely a guitar I'd have to play before buying - i'd never buy one otherwise.

Yes Ed, I agree with that, and there are many gorgeous sinker tops. I figured since it was a Presentation model with already enough inlay bling, that it would be best to go with a more "subtle" top as far sinkers go.

BTW with all this talk about appearance, I was still -believe it or not- mostly concerned about tone as it's a Brazilian body, so my expectations were quite high. Frankly, it was touch and go for a while, and there were times I wondered if I should have gone with a spruce top, but I went "all in" with the sinker. It took a good 6-7 months for this guitar to really open up (along with changing the micarata saddle to bone). I'm now extremely happy with it. It has it's own character which has developed more and more and is equally "happy" strummed, flat picked, or fingerpicked. It's not a cannon, but I wasn't looking for one. The tone is balance and rich.

wisedennis 09-11-2021 05:16 AM

Honestly it looks unique and cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmel555 (Post 6118985)

wisedennis 09-11-2021 05:20 AM

How has the sinker Brazilian beauty changed?

Has it been opened up more?