The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   VERY open ended audio interface question... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525305)

mniels 10-17-2018 05:17 PM

VERY open ended audio interface question...

OK, so...

What, in your opinion, is the best 2 input/2 or 4 out audio interface for quality and features???

This would be used in conjunction with a control surface. At the moment only using one pair of monitors.

As always, thanks for the input!

mniels 10-17-2018 05:39 PM

Oh, and USB Type C is acceptable along with USB 2.0. Or 3 for that matter....

muscmp 10-17-2018 05:46 PM

what can you afford? what are your recording plans? thunderbolt or just usb?

i would look into the following brands: focusrite, steinberg, presonus, universal audio, tascam and even behringer.

also join gearslutz.com, gearpage and tdpri. you can post your question there and get much more exposure.

check sweetwater, GC, musician's friend, and others as there are reviews that give you an idea of what is available.

don't depend upon the sound but youtube would give you somewhat of an idea of the different ones.

remember black friday/cyber monday is coming.

play music!

mniels 10-17-2018 05:59 PM

That is an excellent point.

Let's say that there is a pretty high ceiling on price, been saving for a bit for this stuff.

Will be used for everything from songwriting to demos to more polished stuff for social media and websites. Mostly for just me and guitar/virtual instruments, occasionally for other people I am collaborating with.

RedJoker 10-17-2018 06:41 PM

I have a focusrite 2i2 and, though I thought I might like more input channels, I've yet to have an occasion where I'd use them. I mostly use the features of the DAW than the interface.

DupleMeter 10-17-2018 07:14 PM

I would say look at these:

Audient iD22 - really nice preamps & maybe the best converters of the bunch
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - best value
UAD Apollo Twin - added benefit of UAD plugin processing

From there is really depends on what's important to you & your workflow. Overall sound quality probably goes to the Audient. Best bang for buck goes to the Focusrite. More mixing power goes to the Apollo.

None of them are bad choices.

Mbroady 10-17-2018 07:40 PM

I was looking into a RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-in/4-out AD/DA Converter.
Looks great on paper and seems to have loads of operational flexibility
Runs around 2 grand. If my current set up ever goes..........
For twice the price you can get a Antelope Audio’s Eclipse 384, but it does not have the DSP facilities

I currently use a (used) Apogee Rosetta 200 with fire wire card. They are a bit colored (really fat low end) which I like. They were the talk of the town when they first came out and are still given much praise. You can get them used for a few hundred bucks. A bit more will get you 8 channels of high end conversion on a Rosetta 800

mniels 10-17-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DupleMeter (Post 5865622)

From there is really depends on what's important to you & your workflow. Overall sound quality probably goes to the Audient. Best bang for buck goes to the Focusrite. More mixing power goes to the Apollo.

I was definitely impressed by a lot of the things I have read about the Audient, I think I am actually leaning that way. I do like the UAD as well, the only downside is that I would need to buy a Thunderbolt 2 PCIe card. Unfortunately, it is the one I/O I don't have on my motherboard.

mniels 10-17-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DupleMeter (Post 5865622)

Actually, the twin duo does come in USB 3. The Solo is less expensive, I just need to research the difference between having one SHARC processor as opposed to two.

DupleMeter 10-17-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mniels (Post 5865706)
Actually, the twin duo does come in USB 3. The Solo is less expensive, I just need to research the difference between having one SHARC processor as opposed to two.

More power for more plugins is basically the difference.

For me, the coolest feature the Apollo has is the Unison feature...where you can insert a plugin that changes the way the Apollo preamps work. I occasionally work at a studio that has an Apollo & I really like the Neve 88R Unison plugin. It really gets very "Neve-esque" when you push it.

MikeBmusic 10-18-2018 07:25 AM

The best? Moto, RME, Apollo. But its a moot point if the other parts of your recording/monitoring chain are not up to par.
Like putting retread tires on a Ferrari - you're still limited by the weakest part of the system.
What monitors do you have? Is the room acoustically balanced and treated?

Johnny K 10-18-2018 07:33 AM

I am very happy with my Behringer UHC404HD. 4 inputs. MIC/INT each one. I think I paid a whopping 99 bucks for it. I use it a with Ableton Live Lite 9. I have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors hooked up to it. Bought the pair used, paid even less than the interface. I normally use in-ears to record and the 404 has separate volume controls for the monitors and the headphones which is nice. I can turn the monitors 'off' so I dont get a feedback loop into my recording. My set up works good for what I use it for. I am looking to upgrade very soon to a true mixing board with USB interface. I need more inputs and tactile control surfaces. The mouse thing drives me nuts.

Cocobolo Kid 10-18-2018 09:58 AM

Audio Interface

Are you using a PC or Mac?

If PC, in my opinion, RME has the best and most stable Windows drivers. I used to have driver issues with Universal Audio, but since switching to RME my setup is rock solid. RME has great quality converters and preamps as well.

As another poster mentioned, upgrading your audio interface will make the most difference if your mics, monitors, plugins and room are up to the same level. Recording technique and experience are huge factors too, not to mention learning how to properly use software effects/plugins such as reverb, compression, EQ and maximizing/limiting.

The learning process is a lot of fun though!

Good luck.

paulp1960 10-20-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny K (Post 5865958)
I am very happy with my Behringer UHC404HD. 4 inputs. MIC/INT each one. I think I paid a whopping 99 bucks for it. I use it a with Ableton Live Lite 9. I have a pair of M-Audio powered monitors hooked up to it. Bought the pair used, paid even less than the interface. I normally use in-ears to record and the 404 has separate volume controls for the monitors and the headphones which is nice. I can turn the monitors 'off' so I dont get a feedback loop into my recording. My set up works good for what I use it for. I am looking to upgrade very soon to a true mixing board with USB interface. I need more inputs and tactile control surfaces. The mouse thing drives me nuts.

I was so pleased with my Behringer UMC 202HD I bought around 18 months ago that I recently bought the 4 channel UMC404HD.

I also have a RME Babyface so I know what a quality USB interface is like.
But for day to day use the UMC404HD suits me better due to more inputs, tidier desk space (I don't like the Babyface spaghetti wiring), and a louder headphone output. I'll keep the Babyface as it sounds and performs very well and I may add another 8 channels via the ADAT interface.

Hurricane Ramon 10-21-2018 10:52 PM

Focusrite Scarlet Series

:cool:
¿ Are you using midi hardware ( Midi synth/drum machine - MFX modules et cetera ) at all ?

If not then the Focusrite Solo - 2i2 , & 2i4 , especially the 2i4 are really nice - the 2nd. Gen units are what to get .
They are reasonably priced with a good warranty .

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...lSXPDRyziEv0O_

I have midi time code needs to address in my BeatBuddy , T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3X and other midi controlled
hardware including my Roland GR33 guitar synth module so I got a Focusrite Scarlet 6i6
https://images.reverb.com/image/uplo...lhmbzqvngu.jpg

The added midi ports ( in/out) on the 6i6 addresses my needs and the double headphone jacks are really great
to have on hand . Two line inputs in the read panel - 4 assignable 1/4 outs - SPDIF , it's cool .:up:

EZ :

HR