The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Rainsong Shorty Electronics (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410440)

acoustictone 12-05-2015 11:20 AM

Rainsong Shorty Electronics

Is it just me? Why would anyone cut a hole in the side of a perfectly good guitar for electronics especially with all the options of outboard equipment today? I installed a LR Baggs Anthem in my Shorty and sounds great. (incidentally it's for sale in the classified section) What if you want to change to the latest and greatest electronics? Than what? Makes no sense to me. Agree?

Acousticado 12-05-2015 11:37 AM

I share your view. All of my acoustics I bought with no barn door. I either had unobtrusive electronics installed or did so myself.

Doubleneck 12-05-2015 12:17 PM

I agree as well but most people that buy guitars just want a plug and play and could care less. It even hurts me more to see it in wood guitars. But it's a plug and play world I think.

tommyld 12-05-2015 12:40 PM

I strongly prefer less obtrusive electronics...every barn door on-board preamp I've had rattles with sympathetic vibration, especially on my Rainsongs. (Yes, I've tightened screws, no I don't think I should have to cut wedges of foam and mess around to get them to stop rattling).

I think it's high time Rainsong moves to a more elegant system...the Fishman looks pretty dated, imo, especially with Rainsong's use of descriptors like modern/elegant/graceful in their advertising. I will say, it sounds good (as good as a piezo undersaddle can!), and there's a good amount of control. Still.

steelvibe 12-05-2015 02:13 PM

I agree with Steve, it bugs me way more when I see it on wood because wood is just inherently beautiful with variation between sets. This is even true on cheaper wood guitars.

It is definitely a plug-n-play world, and retailers will continue to order guitars that sell. I think it is safe to say that guitars with built-in pickups and preamps far outsell the purely acoustic. I have noticed though that the market is beginning to slightly trend away from barn-doors, and many of those have p/u systems just inside the soundhole (think Breedlove and Yamaha), but I still don't see many guitars in the $600-1500 range with no electronics. Have any of you seen them?

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 12-05-2015 02:25 PM

This has been a topic of conversation with Taylor guitars for 40 years, and although like Rainsong, they offer guitars without electronics, folks prefer to buy them with factory electronics installed, so that is what most dealers stock.

ChunkyB 12-05-2015 03:22 PM

I have a Shorty with electronics. For every 1 time I wish I didn't have a hole in my guitar, there are 10 times where I'm really glad I have a tuner right on my guitar, and a volume control, and a phase reversal button.

I totally understand the opinion of the OP, but I think it's worth having a hole in your guitar, especially for playing live. But part of that comes down to the reason I got a CF guitar in the first place. Function over form.

SpruceTop 12-05-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales (Post 4739390)
This has been a topic of conversation with Taylor guitars for 40 years, and although like Rainsong, they offer guitars without electronics, folks prefer to buy them with factory electronics installed, so that is what most dealers stock.

And let's also mention just how elegantly-done Taylor's electronics are incorporated in their guitars.

SteelPastor 12-05-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChunkyB (Post 4739467)
I have a Shorty with electronics. For every 1 time I wish I didn't have a hole in my guitar, there are 10 times where I'm really glad I have a tuner right on my guitar, and a volume control, and a phase reversal button.

I totally understand the opinion of the OP, but I think it's worth having a hole in your guitar, especially for playing live. But part of that comes down to the reason I got a CF guitar in the first place. Function over form.

I have to agree. Although I understand that many do not not like the look or even the "thought" of onboard electronics... for me, the guitar is a tool. It is one of the reasons (let's be honest) that I now prefer CF acoustic guitars. Do I want it beautiful and visually appealing? Yes. However, I also want a guitar to be as idiot-proof as possible. I want to be able to do as much at-the-moment problem solving from MY end as quickly as possible. Hence, I deal with a few minuses connected to onboard electronics... while gaining a whole lot more (IMHO) to go along with it.

Ted @ LA Guitar Sales 12-05-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 4739500)
And let's also mention just how elegantly-done Taylor's electronics are incorporated in their guitars.

Yes, the ES system does look a little nicer, than the Fishman barn door they used for the first thirty years. I think Steve is correct, most people looking for plug and play don't seem to care. I have a late 90's 714ce with the Fishman barn door, when I bought the guitar I didn't think twice about it. I do keep Taylors and Rainsongs in stock without electronics, in fact none of our Brazilian Rosewood Taylors are setup with the ES.

Doubleneck 12-05-2015 04:59 PM

I tend to agree I hate the holes but whenever I am with one of my guitars with a barndoor preamp I like using it. My Godin Inuk has Fishman's top of the line slim Aura Pro preamp. It's retail on Amazon is $500. It a pleasure to have onboard crazy powerful.

Guest 928 12-05-2015 05:47 PM

I was an advocate of barn door electronics for many years because I liked having control at the guitar. But then the rattles, the weight, the occasional repairs and new technology led me to what I consider to be cleaner controls.
The volume cords now available let me adjust the volume at the guitar and the mini-tuners are unobtrusive. If the guitar is truly balanced eq control at the guitar is not really needed; and if eq control is needed that can be done at the amp. I've come to prefer an unencumbered instrument.

Captain Jim 12-05-2015 09:39 PM

I like my Shorty. Like the pickup. While I prefer the Taylor ES with the easy to reach knobs, they are all "tools" if you play plugged in. They work. Someone said "plug and play"... yep, easy to work with.

acoustictone 12-05-2015 10:09 PM

Seems like a 60/40 split in favor of no hole. (so far) I run my Anthem straight to an acoustic amp. Nice and easy. I use a floor tuner when needed. The tuner has a bigger and brighter LCD than most tuners that are installed in a guitar. Let me open up another can of worms....For the most part people buy CF guitar to use when they travel saving the wood guitars for home use. So why should a pickup be installed anyway. You would think that the pickup would be sold only as an option and the guitar stock sold in a music stores would come without one not the other way around??:confused:

Joe

Mbroady 12-06-2015 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acoustictone (Post 4739905)
For the most part people buy CF guitar to use when they travel saving the wood guitars for home use. So why should a pickup be installed anyway. You would think that the pickup would be sold only as an option and the guitar stock sold in a music stores would come without one not the other way around??:confused:

Joe

I know several touring musicians that travel with CF guitars. Perhaps most on this Forum agree with you, but that does not represent the guitar market as a whole. It is what the market demands.

I am a K&K fan. If they had a barn door type of pre for their mini and mic combo, I would have at least 1 guitar equipped with it, even if it meant cutting into the side. Granted, it would not be a collectable, vintage or super high end guitar. K&K is coming out with a sound whole pre for their dual source set up. I can live with that.