The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What's your favorite pickup for X20? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534173)

Danz567 01-09-2019 11:13 PM

What's your favorite pickup for X20?
 
I'm not very happy with the very low output of my Anthem pickup in my X20. Just wondering what other X20 owners are using for a pickup in their guitar. How does the LR Baggs Element pickup sound? I'm either going to use a booster pedal every time I plug in or I will pull the Anthem out a put something else in.

Dan

GuitarLuva 01-10-2019 12:08 AM

Schatten HFN is what I replaced the Anthem with. Couldn't be happier.

zeeway 01-10-2019 06:16 AM

Just replaced my Baggs Element with a K&K Pure Mini...as I stated in a post a few days ago. The results are very good so far: high level of output, and balanced tone. First gig yesterday, and had gain on my Fishman Mini set at 9 o'clock, and was able to get it plenty loud with no feedback issues.

Danz567 01-10-2019 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 5943863)
Schatten HFN is what I replaced the Anthem with. Couldn't be happier.

Did you get active with vol and tone controls ?

GuitarLuva 01-10-2019 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danz567 (Post 5943997)
Did you get active with vol and tone controls ?

I went with the passive version as I wanted as few things inside the guitar as possible. Very easy to install and sounds awesome. I did a video for some folks in a different thread comparing in to the LR Baggs Anthem SL I'll link you the video so you can check it out:

https://youtu.be/w2hjQgYsTsI

Danz567 01-10-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 5944134)
I went with the passive version as I wanted as few things inside the guitar as possible. Very easy to install and sounds awesome. I did a video for some folks in a different thread comparing in to the LR Baggs Anthem SL I'll link you the video so you can check it out:

https://youtu.be/w2hjQgYsTsI

Thanks for that video. Was the amp at the same volume level for both guitars? Kinda gets me thinking, do I really need a preamp inside the guitar. Your emerald sounds awesome. I may be going the same route as you. I love my X20, but the Anthem was a big disappointment. BTW, some pretty fine guitar playing there.

Dan

GuitarLuva 01-10-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danz567 (Post 5944163)
Thanks for that video. Was the amp at the same volume level for both guitars? Kinda gets me thinking, do I really need a preamp inside the guitar. Your emerald sounds awesome. I may be going the same route as you. I love my X20, but the Anthem was a big disappointment. BTW, some pretty fine guitar playing there.

Dan

Thanks for your compliments. Yes both channels were the same volume, EQ flat on both channels and the Gibson with the Anthem SL had the volume on full. The passive Schatten is a little louder than the Anthem SL. At least that's the way it is with these 2 guitars. It's possible that the results will vary for different guitars. I find the Anthem gets muddier as you increase the volume whereas the Schatten don't miss a beat, you can EQ it of course. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Anthem systems but I find the Schatten to be more natural sounding. Kind of hard to believe since the Anthem has an actual condenser mic as part of the system.

Methos1979 01-10-2019 11:10 AM

I've gone with K&K on both my Emerald customs. On my X20 it's a great choice and provides a very predictable output signal.

BT55 01-10-2019 02:04 PM

I installed an Anthem in my X20 and could not be happier. The sound is tunable during setup and it sounds great!

Danz567 01-10-2019 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BT55 (Post 5944398)
I installed an Anthem in my X20 and could not be happier. The sound is tunable during setup and it sounds great!

Mine sounds good too, but the output is so low that I have to put it through a booster pedal to get any volume out of it. Im ordering a new pickup and then the Anthem is gone.

eatswodo 01-10-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 5944134)
I went with the passive version as I wanted as few things inside the guitar as possible. Very easy to install and sounds awesome. I did a video for some folks in a different thread comparing in to the LR Baggs Anthem SL I'll link you the video so you can check it out:

https://youtu.be/w2hjQgYsTsI

Kudos on the video - very nicely done indeed. Both guitars sound great, and it's a very fair comparison between the two, given that it's not exactly A-B.

flcmcya 01-10-2019 06:18 PM

Likewise just got an x20 woody with the "upgrade" Anthem setup....sound guy is still pissed....

Keeps saying can you turn it up!

My other one with the Element cranks.... what a disappointment.

Have a Fishman platinum coming ...but preamp into preamp!

GuitarLuva 01-10-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatswodo (Post 5944615)
Kudos on the video - very nicely done indeed. Both guitars sound great, and it's a very fair comparison between the two, given that it's not exactly A-B.

Thank you and yes you're absolutely right, 2 totally different guitars. Hopefully anyone who watches can differentiate the tonal qualities of each pickup. I tried my fair share of pickups over the years and I must say I was totally surprised by the Schatten, especially considering I never heard of them.

GuitarLuva 01-10-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flcmcya (Post 5944683)
Likewise just got an x20 woody with the "upgrade" Anthem setup....sound guy is still pissed....

Keeps saying can you turn it up!

My other one with the Element cranks.... what a disappointment.

Have a Fishman platinum coming ...but preamp into preamp!

This is another issue with the Anthem. Too many people reporting varying levels of output. The full anthem system that I pulled out of the emerald was so much louder than my anthem sl Gibson. Its still a good system overall but those varying output levels are really bothersome.

Danz567 01-10-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarLuva (Post 5944714)
Thank you and yes you're absolutely right, 2 totally different guitars. Hopefully anyone who watches can differentiate the tonal qualities of each pickup. I tried my fair share of pickups over the years and I must say I was totally surprised by the Schatten, especially considering I never heard of them.

I'm ordering a Schatten tomorrow. I'm getting the one with a preamp and vol & tone controls.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=