The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Dang...got a smelly Martin! (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556193)

jedzep 08-29-2019 04:37 AM

Dang...got a smelly Martin!

Unfortunately, the D16H tonemonster I bought on Reverb stinks of the former owner's deodorant, cologne, or soap (Irish Spring?).

Have any of you had any luck neutralizing git odor. It's strongest on the back where it climbs on to my shirt and reminds me all day.

Might have to take up smoking.

Grrrr!

Thanks. Dave

RP 08-29-2019 04:48 AM

Dave: i've never had that problem, but I'd suggest making some baking soda packets with the bottom end of a woman's stocking. Place the guitar with several baking soda packets into a large trash bag or a large plastic bag in which guitar cases are often wrapped. Seal it up for 24 hours and see how that works...

jedzep 08-29-2019 04:58 AM

Thanks RP. That's step 1, I guess.

harryboss1 08-29-2019 05:50 AM

I bought a S&P guitar with case on line and it seems the case had after shave or cologne in it, so the guitar also smelled horrible. Tried baking soda with no positive results. I even put an ionizer in the case for 2 days. That helped but the strong smell came back. I even washed the case out with soap and water and that did not help either. Sold the guitar and case at somewhat of a loss to a friend, he said he didn't mind the old English leather smell. Both happy !

jedzep 08-29-2019 05:58 AM

Yeah. That's my worry. If it's absorbed into the lacquer I'm screwed. Fortunately the odor isn't on the interior wood or in the case.

jklotz 08-29-2019 06:24 AM

First off, I'd start with some guitar polish and a micro fiber rag. I had a guitar recently where the dealer used some kind of polish that had a strong odor to it. Smelled like that stuff they spray in your car at the car wash. I just polished it a couple of times with some normal polish/cleaner and it went away.

UncleJesse 08-29-2019 06:29 AM

Use an ozone generator. That's the tried and true method of smell removal. I got a used martin that smelled strongly of pipe tobacco and it worked to get rid of most of the smell. I probably should have run it longer than 6 hours but was tentative as it was my first time.

BluesKing777 08-29-2019 06:31 AM

Hi JZ!

You could leave it out near the back fence a few days and relic it while de-stinking. Short of that, can’t help much other than saying you are lucky it is on the back outer. Perhaps a few scrubs with Virtuoso Cleaner might budge it?
I have 2 shocking stinky Gibsons - 52 LG1 and 59 LG3 both smell like they have been in the grave with their previous owners and dug up at a much later date by fortune hunters. I left them on stands in a corner to air but no change. I asked the Boss to get me something at a shop in town and she came home with a baby vial of pure real Sandalwood Oil at $80! I put 3 drops in the LG3 soundhole and I can still smell the Sandalwood when I open the case years later, but on a hot day the other smell still rises to meet the Sandalwood smell.....

BluesKing777.

hat 08-29-2019 06:43 AM

try polishing it. If its on the back, perhaps it hasn't penetrated the finish yet. Or even a light solvent, something that won't melt the lacquer. I have a vintage J45 that wafts the smell of smokiness every time I play it. It's not overpowering, I like it - it brings to mind images of all the bars and dives the guitar has maybe been played in the last 60 some years.

Shades of Blue 08-29-2019 06:49 AM

When buying anything guitar related on reverb or ebay, I always ask if the buyer smokes. I've received smelly gear before and it usually gets flipped within a week. It's awful if you are sensitive to smells.

colder 08-29-2019 06:50 AM

Forget the home remedies and rent one of those ozone generators. Job's done.

ManyMartinMan 08-29-2019 07:36 AM

The first thing I would do is wipe the entire guitar down with Naphtha then leave it out for a couple of days. Then, if that doesn’t work, try the ozone generator.

llew 08-29-2019 07:43 AM

This is an old used car dealer trick...cut an apple in half and put half in a small plate or dish and put it in the case (probably under the headstock if it'll fit?) and close it up. let it sit for a day or two and see if that helps. Usually the apple will absorb some of the odor.

DesertTwang 08-29-2019 11:18 AM

Irish Spring? I could think of way, way worse smells a guitar could be contaminated with... ;)

guitar george 08-29-2019 11:28 AM

Find a safe place to leave it outside for a few days. This usually works for guitars, guitar cases, rubber goods or anything that smells.