The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   TRYING to like my Martin M-36 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407177)

lefty8 11-08-2015 02:33 PM

TRYING to like my Martin M-36

The title says it. I'm "trying" to like my M-36. This guitar came to me in late July, 2015, new. I had a set up down on it after tree weeks, much earlier than I would with a new guitar. I would ordinarily play it in more. But the tone and intonation just wasn't good. It got better after the set-up. Tried Elixir strings, which I like on my Taylors. Didn't like them on the Martin. Now I'm back to Martin Life Span SP, the ones recommended by Martin. They're just ok.
But honestly, I'm just not enjoying this guitar, still. It doesn't stay in tune easily. And if even slightly out, it's noticeable. It finger picks nicely. But it doesn't sound great strummed. I thought that the M size (OOOO) would do both well. That's what all the professional reviews indicated. I'm considering getting rid of it and buying a D-18. I'm torn with keeping it a couple of years and waiting for it to improve. But I'm fearful that it won't.
Any thoughts?

catdaddy 11-08-2015 02:41 PM

It would seem that this guitar is just not the right one for you. You've done your due diligence with a set-up and different strings. If the tone and intonation aren't up to your standards then I think it's probably best to part ways with it and find a guitar that plays and sounds the way you prefer. Waiting for this guitar to improve doesn't sound like a realistic option to me.

Von Beerhofen 11-08-2015 02:44 PM

It sounds to me as if you haven't really had a chance to compare that guitar prior to purchase. Fact is that not every guitar is great, nor are a few threads about it's greatness an indicator for success.

If you don't like it, move on, try another of the same series or try something different but if you can't play or compare it before you buy it, there'll be no guarantee that you'll like the next one, no matter what people type in guitar forums.

Ludwig

chitz 11-08-2015 02:45 PM

Agreed. Get the D-18.

Brucebubs 11-08-2015 02:54 PM

If you like that M (0000) body size then look at the Martin J-40.
It's the same body but with full dread 4 7/8" depth, might be just perfect for you.

jdinco 11-08-2015 02:59 PM

I learned the hard way that if you don't like the sound of the guitar the first week you own it, there's a 99% chance you won't like it after another year. Move on....and try to buy from a dealer that gives you an approval period.

ObiWanSymbian 11-08-2015 03:03 PM

When I tried an M-36 it was very responsive when fingerpicked and... well slightly flat when flatpicked. Still I find her very ballanced accross all the techniques I can perform.
Maybe change your flatpick? I have observed that picks with sharp edges produce faltter sound, while the ones with rounded edges give a fuller sound.

drplayer 11-08-2015 03:40 PM

Life's too short to play a guitar you don't like; however, I would suggest trying non-coated strings before giving up on it completely. It can make a night & day difference on some guitars, and is a cheap thing to try.

Br1ck 11-08-2015 05:14 PM

I'm a big M36 fan, own an old one, but have played a few newer ones I did not like. I will never sell mine.

Hoyt 11-08-2015 05:21 PM

I'd try some non-coated strings. Maybe have someone else check it out. Once the strings stretch out, the guitar shouldn't go out of tune easily while playing, nor should you have intonation issues.

Those are nice rosewood guitars. I've found I prefer rosewood to mahogany back and sides.

Good luck.

SFCRetired 11-08-2015 05:23 PM

I may be the odd man out but I have never played an OM style guitar that liked to be strummed. Except one. The Yamaha OM sizes, but they are deeper than the traditional OM size guitars. Or 000, or 0000 if you will. I call them all OM size because I just don't know any better.

I recently picked up a Guild GAD 30R that sounds great finger picked, but try to strum it and it barks back. Like a dog barking with a sore throat.;)

It's a shame you bought an expensive guitar you don't like and most likely never will. I know a guy who has a 2014 D 18 for sale what I would call cheap. I just bought his HD 28.

Petty1818 11-08-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br1ck (Post 4706468)
I'm a big M36 fan, own an old one, but have played a few newer ones I did not like. I will never sell mine.

I actually find the newer M-36's to be very consistent in quality and tone. They have all sounded great and the only times where I was unimpressed, it had more to do with the strings than anything else. I really do think they are some of the best Martin guitars, they just don't get marketed in the right way.

Br1ck 11-10-2015 10:28 AM

That is good to know. I don't seek them out in stores and would probably never play one that wasn't in the used section.

The fact they are not a deep body contributes to the comfort these guitars have to offer. They really are the ideal guitar for me. Really big sounding, but not as boomy as most RW dreads. I have never understood the relative unpopularity of the M 36.

But heck, what do I know.

RustyAxe 11-10-2015 11:29 AM

You've only tried coated strings? Slap a set of D'Addario EJ-16's on that guitar. (There isn't a coated string made that I want to use ... and yes, I know I'm in a minority) Short of a broken tuning machine, there's no reason to think that going out of tune is the fault of the guitar. I'd be interested to know your restringing technique.

Earl49 11-10-2015 11:34 AM

Another vote for the J-40 here, if you can try one. It is a deeper version of the M36 or the M38. I find it easily capable of keeping up with D-28's when strummed at bluegrass jams, yet still sounds good fingerpicked with nails. My J-40 has been with me for 25 years now.

And definitely try several types of strings, not just brands. The voice of the guitar will really "pop" with some types.