The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Gibson Montana announces new value "Generation" models G-45 Studio/Standard (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535085)

Rmz76 01-18-2019 03:42 PM

Gibson Montana announces new value "Generation" models G-45 Studio/Standard

From the press release today [01-18-2019]

Gibson will also be premiering a new Generation line of acoustics, with the new, USA-built G-45 Studio and G-45 Standard clocking in at $999 and $1,299 respectively.

Both models feature solid Sitka spruce tops and walnut back and sides, plus “exquisite” finishes, says Gibson.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/JA...kkH-650-80.jpg

The burning question is... Are these going to be all solid? My guess is no and that Gibson is looking to build the G series as a J-45 like guitar with laminate Walnut back and sides to complete with Taylor's 100 & 200 series (The J-15 branding just makes less and less sense with so many "45" models now bearing Walnut back and sides). It will be interesting to see what other compromises are made to get to the $999 MSRP price point on the G-45 Studio. I would assume to keep cost low that these will also ship with a hard bag instead of a case. Looking foreword to learning more. We're starting to see the fruits of the new leadership. Back to tradition with the Les Paul lineup and better value choices while continuing to keep the Made in the USA tradition on the acoustic product.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm...able-acoustics

ataylor 01-18-2019 03:50 PM

Wow. This will be a nice counter to Martin and Taylor’s new slope-shoulder offerings.

Reminds me of the old WM-45. I’m really curious to see how these look/play/sound.

If these are all-solid — which isn’t completely outside the realm of possibility here, though perhaps a bit of a long shot — I could see these being very popular.

Edit: now that I factor in street price rather than MAP, and remembering some of the fairly recent Gibson acoustic models, these probably do have laminate back/sides. Still could prove to be a hit.

gr81dorn 01-18-2019 04:00 PM

I think they can do it all solid by cutting the same corners that the 15 series does, as well as some other great all solid guitars in the price range (those new USA guilds come to mind)
- I assume the studio has no binding or bling at all, the Standard has some simple appointments.
- I would assume those vinyl gig bags they've been using will be included.
- No electronics
- I'd assume a no-filler, satin/semi-gloss type finish
- maple neck

The easiest ways to get to the price point are taking labor out, so much of my assumptions do that well.

Rosewood and Mahogany are more expensive to get, so using domestic stuff (walnut, maple, etc) will bring the material cost down.

Should be fun to see.

Wade Hampton 01-18-2019 04:03 PM

If in the press release Gibson mentioned the solid spruce top but followed it without mentioning that the back and sides are solid, that indicates to me that they’re laminated. I’d be very surprised if Gibson would undercut their own solid walnut guitars that retail for a few hundred dollars more.

Gibson has a long and honorable history of using high quality laminates in professional level guitars: the J-160E’s that the Beatles used onstage and off were built completely out of laminates, including their tops. So if these new Gibsons have laminated backs and sides, as I suspect, they’ll be very good quality laminates, not cheapo plywood with mysterious, spongy softwood cores like entry level Asian-made guitars.

whm

IndyHD28 01-18-2019 04:22 PM

Interesting. I just played the J45 Studio and Sustainable yesterday. The Studio is a VERY GOOD guitar. I don’t see any shortcuts. And MAP is $1500. This is the ideal couch guitar AFAIC. I LOVE bending those short scale strings! I’m going to wait until I can play the Martin MDs before I buy a guitar but Gibby just showed up on my radar screen.

lowrider 01-18-2019 04:28 PM

I'm in the small minority who likes natural much more than sunburst, so these look very interesting to me. Could one difference between Studio and the Standard be the depth of the body like they did on, I think, the j-45 studio?

I just went to the Gibson website and I didn't see any j-15 models. It could be me but I don't think that will make a lot of you very happy.

Ozark 01-18-2019 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrider (Post 5952648)

I just went to the Gibson website and I didn't see any j-15 models. It could be me but I don't think that will make a lot of you very happy.

I looked too and see no 15's, 29's or 35's. I am glad I just got my new J-15, I love it. Its a joy to play and it sounds so good.

Zissou Intern 01-18-2019 06:13 PM

The J29 wasn’t selling well, and was discontinued awhile back. These would replace the J15, but what would replace the J35? I guess 35’s aren’t selling well enough to justify production. Will they disappear like the J29, or go the way of the AJ and be released in limited editions?

RussL30 01-18-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wade Hampton (Post 5952627)
If in the press release Gibson mentioned the solid spruce top but followed it without mentioning that the back and sides are solid, that indicates to me that they’re laminated. I’d be very surprised if Gibson would undercut their own solid walnut guitars that retail for a few hundred dollars more.

Gibson has a long and honorable history of using high quality laminates in professional level guitars: the J-160E’s that the Beatles used onstage and off were built completely out of laminates, including their tops. So if these new Gibsons have laminated backs and sides, as I suspect, they’ll be very good quality laminates, not cheapo plywood with mysterious, spongy softwood cores like entry level Asian-made guitars.

whm

I agree that Gibson knows what they’re doing when it comes to laminates and if these will be a great value for a laminate guitar. My Gibson Gospel has he laminated arched back and doesn’t give up anything in sound to other well made solid Mahigany guitars.

JakeStone 01-18-2019 06:32 PM

Gibson may score on this one....
Many newer players are looking for an "upgrade" from the entry level guitar they bought to learn on. But don't have the scratch to buy a J-15.. which are sitting at $1750+.

rwmct 01-18-2019 07:46 PM

That is a lot of money for a laminate body guitar.

And it will be a shame if they replace the J-15, which is, IMO, a wonderful guitar. The J-45 studio is no replacement, it does not have the same dimensions.

ataylor 01-18-2019 08:32 PM

Some of the “banner” J-45s were laminate as well, if memory serves. Laminate maple? Don’t know if any were laminate mahogany.

Rmz76 01-18-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwmct (Post 5952850)
That is a lot of money for a laminate body guitar.

And it will be a shame if they replace the J-15, which is, IMO, a wonderful guitar. The J-45 studio is no replacement, it does not have the same dimensions.

There's a lot more that goes into tone than just back and side wood material. Too much focus is put on the importance of the back and side material being solid. The body shape, bracing pattern, nut width, neck radius, scale length. I believe all these things play their part in tone in a direct or indirect way.

If the G-45 is indeed laminate a interesting comparison bound to eventually show up on YouTube would be to compare the Epiphone Masterbuild AJ45ME to the G-45. The AJ45ME is all solid, but has a shorter nut width and smaller body depth. The bracing pattern is based on the J-45 but it is unique to Epiphone so it's actually a very different guitar tone wise. Assuming the G-45 (Standard) uses the same body mold, bracing pattern and nut width as a J-45 Standard, it should produce a much closer tone and feel to the J-45 than even the all solid AJ45ME. It would give players with enough budget for an AJ45ME, Blueridge or Eastman an option to own a USA built Gibson branded slope shoulder, crafted in the Bozeman factory. A guitar with a solid Sitka Spruce top where the wood is sourced and conditioned the same as for the other Gibson USA models. If that's the guitar they are releasing, I think it will be a big hit for them.

Ten 01-19-2019 12:12 AM

I may view it more of a response to the Taylor model, and the 200 series laminate. At least in the fact that you can get a high quality gig worthy guitar from them in laminate.

Steve DeRosa 01-19-2019 07:01 AM

You're going to see a lot of these turning up at singer/songwriter Open Mics, IME the domain of 100/200-Series Taylors and low-/mid-line Breedloves - should make a nice festival guitar as well...