The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recording & Mixing Headphones (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615061)

nweekes 05-08-2021 02:28 PM

Recording & Mixing Headphones

Any headphone recommendations for recording and mixing (instrumental guitar and occasional vocals)? I have a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones from several years ago but I’m not sure if noise canceling would be a good feature for this. Price range is around $150.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

Rudy4 05-08-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nweekes (Post 6711671)
Any headphone recommendations for recording and mixing (instrumental guitar and occasional vocals)? I have a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones from several years ago but I’m not sure if noise canceling would be a good feature for this. Price range is around $150.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

I absolutely love my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro phones, although they are closed back. The closed back phones have a bit more accentuated bass and won't leak into a close mic as easily when recording.

Actual mixing would be better using the open back DT 880 phones.

jim1960 05-09-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nweekes (Post 6711671)

Thanks in advance,
Nathan

Ideally, you'd have different headphones for recording and mixing. For recording, you want closed back, over the ear headphones. You want a pretty good seal around the ear to prevent bleed into the microphone as you're recording. For mixing, you'd want open back headphones because they'll generally give you a more accurate sense of the music and won't, as has been mentioned, accentuate the lower frequencies the way closed back headphones will.

I'm assuming your Bose are closed back so if you can use those for recording your money would be best spent on a pair of open back headphones (the one caveat would be if the Bose are wireless because wireless headphones are useless for studio application). In your price range, these are the ones I'd be looking at...

AKG K240 MKII
beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO
Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X

All that said, however, mixing on headphones is problematic. The limitations of headphones make getting a good mix difficult and that's why it's preferable to use a good set of studio monitors. I'd want monitors for mixing before I'd want headphones for mixing.

DukeX 05-09-2021 02:44 PM

Grado SR80 and SR125 are excellent in that price range.

nweekes 05-10-2021 10:43 AM

Thank you. These comments are a big help!

sdelsolray 05-10-2021 03:38 PM

+1 on the Grados.

runamuck 05-10-2021 08:08 PM

+2 on Grados but they're open back.

SprintBob 05-11-2021 02:33 PM

I use a Sennheiser HD280 for recording/monitoring (less than $100) and a Grado 325e (around $300) for mixing and just listening to music.

It's not possible for me to use speakers for mixing and the Grado headphones are a pretty good alternate.