The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Songs In Open D (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65644)

ayavner 01-22-2009 08:08 PM

Almost anything by Richie Havens - Handsome Johnny, for example.

fulano 01-22-2009 08:34 PM

I don't think Townes Van Zant played it in Open D but I play "no place to fall" in open D and I like the way it sounds much better than standard D. Capo on II, played in Open D. Try it. I love the sound of that low D base played over the higher D, Dmaj7 and D7 chords in the intro and first line of the song.

birkenweg42 01-23-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis (Post 1723015)
I love Little Martha too! Great tune. I first heard it in Leo Kottke's Home & Away video. Then I bought Eat a Peach!! Love the Allman Bros. I do Big Yellow Taxi as well but in Open D it's either too high or too low for me. I like it in open G. Open D is good blues to be sure and maybe the Black Crowes, She Talks to Angels? What I love about open D is that when you bring the F# back up to G, you get DADGAD...Love alternate tunings in general.

Here's my Little Martha:
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=KSouq4...e=channel_page

I started that thread in 2005. I have learnt a couple of open d songs in the last three and a half years: Echoing Gilewitz, Das Loch in der Banane and a couple of Kottke pieces.
Denis, tune the F# down half a step to F and you have open d minor tuning. You'll be able to play some really haunting stuff.

Denis 01-23-2009 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birkenweg42 (Post 1723901)
I started that thread in 2005. I have learnt a couple of open d songs in the last three and a half years: Echoing Gilewitz, Das Loch in der Banane and a couple of Kottke pieces.
Denis, tune the F# down half a step to F and you have open d minor tuning. You'll be able to play some really haunting stuff.

OOhh, I'll have to try that!!! I wrote After the Battle in open Gmin....never tried open Dmin though...thanks Christian!

valleyguy 01-23-2009 03:22 PM

Neil Young has several. Laughing Lady. My favorite is harvest Moon. Here's a nice tutorial from Guitar Noise on how to play it.

BTW, some other nice songs to learn there.

Steve Earl also has several.

As for dropped D, I like to put a capo on the second fret, from above, and not capo the sixth string. That effectively gives you a dropped D (in the key of E), but has the added advantage of allowing you to play a G or other chords, and fret the sixth string. I play Norwegian Wood this way. Most any song you play in D (which would make it in E) can easily be used this way.

valleyguy 01-23-2009 03:26 PM

For you Neil young fans, Hyper Rust is an excellent site for his music, tabs, lyrics, etc, though it is a little bizarre to navigate.

anthonyc007 01-23-2009 03:28 PM

Almost all of Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" is in Open E (with you can get by Open D / Capo 2). "Simple Twist of Fate" & "Buckets of Rain" are really fun to play.

http://dylanchords.info

Also, if you like Wilco, they have a bunch in Open D: "Pot Kettle Black", "Radio Cure", "Not For The Season" and "Can't Stand It" come to mind. Let me know if want these tabs/chords. I can email.

birkenweg42 01-23-2009 03:36 PM

I have problems getting the Harvest Moon tutorial but I have always played it in dropped d. My favorite Neil Young song. The lyrics just hit the spot.

valleyguy 01-25-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birkenweg42 (Post 1724625)
I have problems getting the Harvest Moon tutorial but I have always played it in dropped d. My favorite Neil Young song. The lyrics just hit the spot.

Yep, my wife's favorite song.

mjz 07-04-2011 01:41 PM

Jacksone browne's -- Your Bright Baby Blues
Capo 3
max

mtlatham 07-05-2011 10:19 PM

More recent stuff:

The Cave - Mumford & Sons = open D
Barton Hollow - The Civil Wars = DADGAD

Blackjack Davey 08-17-2011 06:36 AM

Helplessness Blues by fleet foxes is in open D and a really good song.

rtql8 10-25-2013 10:22 PM

Post revival lol. Finally learned something in open D and I'm hooked, sounds so nice. That's what started my search for more open D tunes and how I found this thread...

I learned Fogelberg's "Hard to Say". Time to experiment with more. :)

Claytone 10-27-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtql8 (Post 3670756)
Post revival lol. Finally learned something in open D and I'm hooked, sounds so nice. That's what started my search for more open D tunes and how I found this thread...

I learned Fogelberg's "Hard to Say". Time to experiment with more. :)

Wow...an 8 year old thread that's still pertinent!!! With 88,000 views? Nice catch Rtql8...

gbro 08-17-2018 01:00 PM

D Tuning Songs

I just found a way of doing Loose Lucy (Grateful Dead) in open D. It makes that weird-chord walkdown thing ("yeah yeah" before "thank you") much easier to play. Capo up a bit for sure. I heard somewhere that Dylan did all of Blood On The Tracks in that tuning. I've found Buckets of Rain doable. Police Dog Blues of course everybody mentioned awready. Been working at that for decades!