The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Looking for nylon string with pickup and cutaway (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527761)

jmceachern36 11-10-2018 07:30 AM

Looking for nylon string with pickup and cutaway

Like the title says. Looking for a nylon string guitar with electronics and a cutaway. I’m not a classical guitar player but I’ve always played one. I play an old Guild Mark 4. I play fingerstyle but also at times with a pick. Looking for something that sounds good amplified. That’s the most important thing. The neck size doesn’t really matter as I can get used to anything. $500 or less? Used is fine but I can buy new as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.

lkjjr 11-10-2018 08:36 AM

Was in the same "place" as you a few months back, and ended up getting a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion and have not been anything but completely pleased with that choice. More details in this link...
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=518037

I managed to find a "refurb" from Nashville Guitars (excellent online merchant) for the price you are budgeting. I am especially glad to have a neck with a truss rod so I can keep the action where I want it.

You may see from my signature that I'm used to playing all solid wood steel strings. I'm a bit surprised at how well the Cordoba (with laminated B&S) compares to them. The biggest learning curve for me was realizing how much string composition impacts the tone on a a nylon string guitar. I've found that hard tension carbon trebles make all the difference to hearing the sound I prefer.

Turp 11-10-2018 08:37 PM

I'll second the Cordoba Fusion. I have a 12fret and really like it. That said, my "go to" is an old Yamaha AP5NA. I love it after changing the nut to adjust the string spacing. The replacement is the NTX series. I have yet to play the more expensive NTX models, the $500 model is no comparison to the Cordoba in my opinion

lodi_55 11-11-2018 11:21 AM

Taylor Academy series (used) are around the 500 dollar mark.

dkstott 11-13-2018 06:26 AM

I have the Cordoba Orchestra Cedar "fusion as well... It's a great guitar and sells for about $800 new, but you can easily get one used in your stated price range.

When the narrower neck width starts to feel a little cramped to me, I play my GK Pro.

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkjjr (Post 5886463)
Was in the same "place" as you a few months back, and ended up getting a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion and have not been anything but completely pleased with that choice. More details in this link...
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=518037

I managed to find a "refurb" from Nashville Guitars (excellent online merchant) for the price you are budgeting. I am especially glad to have a neck with a truss rod so I can keep the action where I want it.

You may see from my signature that I'm used to playing all solid wood steel strings. I'm a bit surprised at how well the Cordoba (with laminated B&S) compares to them. The biggest learning curve for me was realizing how much string composition impacts the tone on a a nylon string guitar. I've found that hard tension carbon trebles make all the difference to hearing the sound I prefer.

jmceachern36 11-14-2018 10:57 AM

Has anyone played that all rosewood version of the Cordoba Fusion 14?

The Old Anglo 11-17-2018 06:31 PM

I have a Cordoba C5ce...Best one I found under $500. Records Great!!.

jmceachern36 11-25-2018 10:14 AM

Another question for you people that recommend the Cordoba Fusion orchestra especially. I haven’t had a chance to play one so I may just take a chance and order one. From the sound I’ve the videos that cedar top/ rosewood back and side one sounds best. They don’t make that in the 14 feet option. Is it still easy enough to play in the 12 to 15 fret area of the guitar?

lkjjr 11-26-2018 10:49 AM

My Larrivee LV05 (see my signature below) has a 14 fret neck w/cutaway and is honestly very easy to access above the 12th fret. My Fusion (w/12 fret neck) is very much more “cramped” and I find access above the 12th fret limited because of that. Consequently there are some restrictions “up there,” and it’s certainly good to be aware of that if it’s one of your major criteria.

It boils down to finding the right compromise that you find most satisfying. My Martin (which I’ve played since 1972) has a 12 fret neck and no cutaway that has forced me to find alternatives to working much above the 12th fret, but the trade off to beautiful tone has been more than worth it. Knowing the difference in tone in 12 and 14 fret necks (along with tonewoods) is what drove my decision to go with the Fusion Orchestra.

The Fusion 14 guitars (and also the Alvarez AC65HCE or CC7HCE) may be better alternatives in the price range, if 12 fret necks are a deal breaker. For my tastes none of them matched the tone of the Fusion Orchestra. YMMV…

jmceachern36 11-26-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkjjr (Post 5900902)
My Larrivee LV05 (see my signature below) has a 14 fret neck w/cutaway and is honestly very easy to access above the 12th fret. My Fusion (w/12 fret neck) is very much more “cramped” and I find access above the 12th fret limited because of that. Consequently there are some restrictions “up there,” and it’s certainly good to be aware of that if it’s one of your major criteria.

It boils down to finding the right compromise that you find most satisfying. My Martin (which I’ve played since 1972) has a 12 fret neck and no cutaway that has forced me to find alternatives to working much above the 12th fret, but the trade off to beautiful tone has been more than worth it. Knowing the difference in tone in 12 and 14 fret necks (along with tonewoods) is what drove my decision to go with the Fusion Orchestra.

The Fusion 14 guitars (and also the Alvarez AC65HCE or CC7HCE) may be better alternatives in the price range, if 12 fret necks are a deal breaker. For my tastes none of them matched the tone of the Fusion Orchestra. YMMV…

Thanks for the info. I actually don’t play “up there “ often but I am hoping to have a little more freedom to do so. Mainly for a gig I’m doing. Even on electric guitar, which I fairly play, I don’t play high on the neck. I really prefer a 12 fret neck and I always prefer rosewood back and sides. My decision seems to be making itself clear.

lkjjr 11-26-2018 12:37 PM

Good luck, don't think you will be disappointed...
Then play on.

ceciltguitar 11-26-2018 08:24 PM

Cordoba GK Studio, used.

dkstott 11-27-2018 09:58 AM

The Cordoba GK's are great guitars!! I own a GK pro Negra ( solid spruce with solid rosewood and back)

I have a C12 orchestra CE. (Solid cedar top with laminate rosewood sides and back.) I have no issues accessing the 15th fret...

After that, it gets a big tight.

:D:)

jmceachern36 11-27-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkstott (Post 5901874)
The Cordoba GK's are great guitars!! I own a GK pro Negra ( solid spruce with solid rosewood and back)

I have a C12 orchestra CE. (Solid cedar top with laminate rosewood sides and back.) I have no issues accessing the 15th fret...

After that, it gets a big tight.

:D:)

I bought the Cordoba Fusion orchestra on line. Should have it by the end of the week...... And thank for all the advice. I’ll check in and give a review.

ceciltguitar 12-13-2018 07:51 PM

So, how do you like the Cordoba Fusion?