The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Interesting discussion. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491947)

the architect 12-06-2017 11:35 AM

I'm going to muddy the waters even more.

I like mahogany Martins and rosewood Taylors.

George6654 12-06-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5559589)
Yep....... 67 year old youngster here, two Taylors no Martins. :guitar:

Yep.......72 year old youngster here, two Martins No Taylors

Goat Mick 12-06-2017 11:50 AM

I've got a Taylor 710 that I've had for 23 years and I love it, but I'm not planning on buying another Taylor. I have 3 Martins that I really enjoy (especially the DM I added last week) but I'm not out searching for the Martin tone. Now the classic Gibson tone......mmmmmmmm. That one speaks to me, but life is made for variety so I like having several brands on hand. Oh and I'm 51.

fazool 12-06-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brancher (Post 5559588)
The whole thing is pretty simple - and has nothing to do with age. If you know tone, history, and workmanship, and you truly love America, then you will love Martin.

Else.....

I know tone, history, and workmanship, and I truly love America and I do love Martin. I also love Taylor more.

fazool 12-06-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the architect (Post 5559786)
I'm going to muddy the waters even more.

I like mahogany Martins and rosewood Taylors.

Exactly the same here!

Eric_M 12-06-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurph1 (Post 5559560)
My thought has always been that younger players like Taylor's and old geezers like me like Martin's.

I've actually heard the opposite. Something about how Taylors' high-frequency response appeals to the olds (i.e., those who've lost some high-frequency hearing). How young is young, btw?

Quote:

Originally Posted by L20A (Post 5559735)
... People that prefer Taylor guitars generally are not affected by this cult pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brancher (Post 5559588)
... If you know tone, history, and workmanship, and you truly love America, then you will love Martin.

Geez. I don't want to join a cult but I do love America. Help me pick, guys.

Kerbie 12-06-2017 12:19 PM

Let's try to keep this discussion polite... thanks.

Bear Davis 12-06-2017 12:44 PM

I was a teenager in the late 90's (ya ya ya I know that is young around these parts) and for graduation my parents gave me 1,000 bucks to spend any way I wanted. I had saved 1,500 from working at a local grocery store so I withdrew everything and headed to GC.

I played several Martins and Taylors (Had no interest in anything else at the time) and I kept coming back to the Taylors and in particular an 814ce. I had only been playing a short while so Tone wasn't really entering the equation. My very inexperienced teenage self found the Taylors to be more comfortable to hold and they consistently had lower action. On top of that I do remember thinking they were "cooler" looking.

Fast forward 20 years and I'm all about variety, especially when it comes to tone. Each of my guitars are like a single color on a painters palette, with some being used more regularly than others.

Steadfastly 12-06-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodger Knox (Post 5559757)
Well, I'm 66 and have been playing for over 50 years. I've never owned a Martin or a Taylor, and I'll probably never buy a new guitar.

Hope that helps...

That's confusing!:D

smurph1 12-06-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyAxe (Post 5559709)
Why would anyone's preference in guitars be age-related?

Not really sure, but I came up in a world dominated by Martin Dreads. So to my ears that is the sound of an acoustic guitar. Especially the D-18. My 2 cents. :)

KevWind 12-06-2017 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L20A (Post 5559735)
Age does come into play in the Martin/Taylor debate.
Playing style and music choice also factors in.

I was going to point out that in this thread age doesn't really appear to be much of a factor, at least related to the OP's theory and given the number of replies from older players that play Taylors..... But I got to thinking that there might be one age related factor but more so when combined with the chronological aspect of having had the funds to purchase a Martin prior to when Taylor became a name in the acoustic guitar market.

Quote:

People that play traditional Folk and Bluegrass tend to gravitate to Martin because of it's rich history connected to this music.
People that prefer Taylor guitars generally are not affected by this cult pressure.
This is arguably true in , but also does not really appear to have much to do with age per se . There is indeed sometimes cult pressure or air of self inflicted identification especially in Bluegrass , Folk a bit less . Several times I have been to Bluegrass Jambs and noticed a bit of a haughty indignant tone or glance when I pull my 810ce out of the case. But I have to admit such juvenile attitudes are amusing especially given that it often comes from the older (my age ) attendees .
I suppose some never escape their own insecurities .

And then there is also the fact that much of the Martin D28 Bluegrass tradition stems simply from the fact that it could be heard among banjo and fiddle

Bob Womack 12-06-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurph1 (Post 5559877)
Not really sure, but I came up in a world dominated by Martin Dreads. So to my ears that is the sound of an acoustic guitar. Especially the D-18. My 2 cents. :)

Interestingly enough, so did I. When you grew up you got your Martin. I got hijacked, I suppose.

Bob

RP 12-06-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5559589)
Yep....... 67 year old youngster here, two Taylors no Martins. :guitar:

Ditto. Four Taylors and no Martins...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyAxe (Post 5559709)
Why would anyone's preference in guitars be age-related?

Senior discounts????

KevWind 12-06-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George6654 (Post 5559803)
Yep.......72 year old youngster here, two Martins No Taylors

There ya go ....
And the cool thing is like when I played in a duo and my buddy played a D28 and even when playing without one of us using a capo, the guitars could be a bit more easily heard to be distinct.
The only really confusing thing in that situation was he played a right hand Martin strung right handed but played left handed and upside down , so trying to follow his upside down chording was a nightmare :eek:

jaymarsch 12-06-2017 01:02 PM

I have owned both in the past and currently do not own a Martin or a Taylor. In terms of generalizations in tone, always preferred the darker tones of most Martins that I have played rather than the brighter tones of most Taylors that I have played. But as we have learned on this forum over and over again, it really is all so subjective.

Best,
Jayne