The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Theft From my car. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563714)

fazool 11-14-2019 01:46 PM

A long time ago we had a rash of thefts in our small town. The thieves were smart enough to not take all of the cash - that was too obvious. They were going from car to car taking SOME of the cash and coins.

If you are missing some coins but there is some still there you would probably not think it stolen. Because, naturally if someone is going to steal money you would think they would take it all.

Additionally, this made sure the people weren't alerted to their stealing.

Eventually they got caught - it was a bunch of clever kids is all I remember.

frankmcr 11-14-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfirob (Post 6211592)

Or you could move to the country...

... with its meth labs, and the nearest police station twenty miles away . . .

Edgar Poe 11-14-2019 02:07 PM

Here a new very effective and practically unpreventable entry, is Smash and Dash.
Scope out the car, make sure you see what you want, smash the window grab the item and run.
Practically unpreventable.

Ed

Brucebubs 11-14-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 6211553)

A fit 5' 10" blond woman in a bikini next to a Mustang GT waving for some help got it in a hurry.

Any pictures? :)

imwjl 11-15-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 6211692)

I'm not that dumb. She's very private and her style of showing off has always been stuff like win the game or ace the test more than be an exhibitionist.

Imagine skier Lindsay Vonn, no need to die the hair, and more between the waist and shoulders. More of a biker and runner than skier plus speaks 4 languages. I'm a very lucky guy to have spent 30+ years with someone so smart, strong and beautiful. Even more lucky to have 3 kids where even when they look like me possess the best of their mom's traits.

Watch out if you're a high school kid with language, social and behavior problems. She'll break you, kick your butt, do it all with love and you might come back feeling she saved your life. She's the kind of school teacher where we all have to make sure every kid on earth has a year or two with someone like her.

MikeBmusic 11-15-2019 08:22 AM

As mentioned above, 'keyless ignition' fobs are constantly putting out the signal. A thief with the right receiver can get your code from the fob in your house and open (and start) the car. A Faraday cage (or metal bag) or putting your fob in your fridge are the only ways to stop it.

Pura Vida 11-15-2019 07:23 PM

Crime is often about opportunity. The key is not leaving items in your car --- even seemingly low value items. A co-worker had their car broken into b/c they had an old gym bag sitting on the floor, and someone smashed the window hoping it had a laptop or some other valuable inside. I rarely leave anything inside, and certainly never within sight, and I've never had a break-in (or attempt), whether here or traveling abroad. And I spend a lot of time in Central America, where break-ins are more frequent.

jpd 11-15-2019 07:41 PM

Hmmmmmm.....

Opportunity knocks for the un-employed with time on their hands and a little incentive-like leaving stuff in view;)

12barBill 11-15-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 6211692)

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 6212114)
I'm not that dumb. She's very private and her style of showing off has always been stuff like win the game or ace the test more than be an exhibitionist.

Imagine skier Lindsay Vonn, no need to die the hair, and more between the waist and shoulders. More of a biker and runner than skier plus speaks 4 languages. I'm a very lucky guy to have spent 30+ years with someone so smart, strong and beautiful. Even more lucky to have 3 kids where even when they look like me possess the best of their mom's traits.

Watch out if you're a high school kid with language, social and behavior problems. She'll break you, kick your butt, do it all with love and you might come back feeling she saved your life. She's the kind of school teacher where we all have to make sure every kid on earth has a year or two with someone like her.

That's a vivid picture. And also says a lot about you.

Brucebubs 11-15-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Sims (Post 6212727)
That's a vivid picture. And also says a lot about you.

I can't help it if I happen to like Mustangs.

Napman41 11-16-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 6211553)
Many kitchens have the rest of the tools you need. True story follows.

Many years ago guessing 1990 we stopped for a swim and locked ourselves out of the car. We didn't have cel phones and foolishly had wallets in the car. The sun was going down. We thought hitch a ride to her parent's still figuring we'd be walking barefoot and in swimwear for a good distance.

A fit 5' 10" blond woman in a bikini next to a Mustang GT waving for some help got it in a hurry. Some dudes stopped. One said he was on probation so could only advise. They drove to a house near by, grabbed some home made tools, and were back at the car in maybe 15 minutes. The guy on probation's advice was good. He knew just what to do with a Ford and guided me well. A 12 pack of PBR was all they asked for so they were probably not 21. I gave them a $20 from the wallet I should not have had in the car.

My wife has never liked being gawked at and she hates abusing privilege or power but that one one stays in memory. My best hope hitching would probably have been the police stopping but mostly likely walking. I'm sure my wife's outfit bought us that luck.

Pictures or it didn’t happen . LOL

imwjl 11-16-2019 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napman41 (Post 6213060)
Pictures or it didn’t happen . LOL

I thought I answered that in post 20 and thank Mr. Sims if that was a complement.

I hope Silly's doing better about this. I still recall that feeling and anger when a theft happens. I'm glad no one was hurt.

12barBill 11-16-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 6213238)
I thought I answered that in post 20 and thank Mr. Sims if that was a complement.

I hope Silly's doing better about this. I still recall that feeling and anger when a theft happens. I'm glad no one was hurt.

It was a compliment and a nod of respect.

Silly Moustache 11-16-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 6213238)

Hi. to put youse guys in the picture, a few weeks ago, I suddenly realised that the coin purse I keep in the car was missing. I have it there for parking charges - app. £3 (about $4 per hour) in my city.

No sign of any break ins to my car but I have found the car unlocked in the mornings more than once .... why? how? was it me? Possibly.

This time the car had obviously been ransacked with stuff scattered all over the place.

I'm somewhat insulted that they didn't care for my fine leather gloves or ol' man hat!

The car was on our drive -- literally about 10-15 feet from where we sit in the evenings.

I'm wondering if something makes the car unlock, giving them the opportunity.
Maybe manually pressing the boot lid unlocks the whole car?

I don't carry coins any more, no purpose apart from parkoing, so I need some change in there.

Anyway, in case it wasn't my fault leaving it unlocked the keys to both cars are now spending the night in the microwave - an effective faraday cage apparently.

A couple more coin purses ordered from ebay!

MikeBmusic 11-18-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 6213275)
the keys to both cars are now spending the night in the microwave - an effective faraday cage apparently.

A couple more coin purses ordered from ebay!

the thieves already have your frequency code..... They'll be back.