The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Customer Warning: Change to Red Bear Trading Co stated Return Policy (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547923)

zoopeda 05-27-2019 12:59 PM

Customer Warning: Change to Red Bear Trading Co stated Return Policy

Up until last week, the published Red Bear Trading Co return policy read: “Red Bear Trading is not able to make exchanges or issue refunds once a Flat Pick has been shipped and used.”

Reading this, I ordered two picks of different thicknesses and shapes to evaluate which would work for me. I opened the package and inspected the beautiful picks, taking care not to drop them or scuff them or to use them on a guitar. After carefully evaluating them for about 20 minutes, I decided to order a different style of Red Bear pick (which I now use and love) and return the two “unused” picks. I took care to pack everything neatly just as they had been shipped to me, and returned them within a day or two of receipt.

The first email I received from them was a long 4 paragraph bit about all the forensic ways they know I’ve opened and touched the picks—suggesting I was trying to pull one over on them by returning them packaged just as they were sent to me—also calling into question my motives. Had they asked, I would have readily admitted I opened them as I ordered them! They then informed me “The only way we return picks is if WE sent out the wrong picks. It’s made very clear on the website.” (The website actually said “used” picks could not be returned.)

I wrote back and very honestly explained that of course I opened the package and didn’t ever suggest otherwise, and that I carefully evaluated the picks before determining which one would work best for me. (These picks are not cheap.) I pointed out their site actually says the picks are not returnable once they’ve been “used,” so I very intentionally treated the picks with care, without using them on a guitar before promptly returning for exchange.

I then received a 5 paragraph belligerent email about how my finger oils made the picks un-sellable and that I should have used ebay to resell them. I then checked the website and noticed the verbiage had been changed—something Red Bear just admitted to me, as a result of my return.

He tells me that in 20 years, I’m the only one to ever cause this problem for them. He also says “Would you want a pair of underwear someone else tried on if their excuse was they tried them on but didn’t sit down?” At the end of all the harassment, to my surprise, he actually did then refund my order, admitting their website did make exceptions for un”used” picks (although added mine had been used because they had “fingerprints” on them.

The new Red Bear Trading Co Return Policy reads: “Red Bear Trading is not able to make exchanges or issue refunds once a Flat Pick has been shipped.” FYI: They definitely now don’t take returns and, apparently, are not eager to stand behind statements made on their website. These are spectacularly beautiful picks that do not come without their share of baggage. Buyer be warned.

The purpose of this post is to document a customer experience and provide a public service announcement regarding their recent policy change and warning of potential obstacles involved in ordering—no unsubstantiated slander or “bashing” intended.

SpruceTop 05-27-2019 02:40 PM

I've never used Red Bear picks and won't likely ever do so given your experience. Thanks for this!

Paddy1951 05-27-2019 02:58 PM

I have never purchased anything from this company and I couldn't find methods of payment they accept on their website.

Since it is a internet/mail order company I think they must accept some charge cards or Pay Pal.

If they accept either of these, use your credit card company as an asset. Many CC companies will act on your behalf to resolve disputes. Some will even go so far as to not pay the merchant until a solution to a dispute can be reached.

Even with Pay Pal, you can use a credit card as your method of payment. That affords the consumer some protections.

Red Bear appears to make a good product. It seems, however, to go out of its way to make it difficult for the consumer to buy its product.

A content, happy, customer should be a goal for all businesses.

Osage 05-27-2019 02:59 PM

Lame.

I once had a Blue Chip pick break when I was playing. I was amazed that it happened and sent them a message with a picture of the broken pick. They immediately sent me a new pick no questions asked. I was already a fan and now I'm a customer for life! Good customer service goes a long way.

zoopeda 05-27-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 6072018)
I've never used Red Bear picks and won't likely ever do so given your experience. Thanks for this!

What got me was when I apologized for not knowing that simply holding the pick in my hand constituted "using" them (thus voiding the return possibility), and he responded "Would you want a pair of underwear someone else tried on if their excuse was they tried them on but didn’t sit down?”.

blacknblues 05-27-2019 03:04 PM

I have purchased a few Red Bear picks over the years and retired them after finding Blue Chip picks work better for acoustic guitar. However, I have recently started using them again for electric guitar as they take the edge off rather nicely when playing my Tele or LP. This post does make me question whether I would want purchase additional picks in the future.

Dotneck 05-27-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoopeda (Post 6071961)
He also says “Would you want a pair of underwear someone else tried on if their excuse was they tried them on but didn’t sit down?”

I bought some underwear at Duluth Trading. Got the wrong size. So I took back the two unopened ones and kept the one I tried on. Told the guy what happened. He said bring them back anyway and I'll take care of you...

Howard Emerson 05-27-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotneck (Post 6072043)
I bought some underwear at Duluth Trading. Got the wrong size. So I took back the two unopened ones and kept the one I tried on. Told the guy what happened. He said bring them back anyway and I'll take care of you...

He took the pair you tried on and made flat picks from them.

HE

mondoslug 05-27-2019 03:41 PM

Speaking of not related but kinda...I bought two Blue Chips at Carter's. These particulars picks didn't quite do it for me and I returned 'em. They were cool about it but it felt weird returning two picks. I probably wouldn't do it again.

AndrewG 05-27-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoopeda (Post 6072036)
What got me was when I apologized for not knowing that simply holding the pick in my hand constituted "using" them (thus voiding the return possibility), and he responded "Would you want a pair of underwear someone else tried on if their excuse was they tried them on but didn’t sit down?”.

That's a really poor, snotty attitude to take with a paying customer who clearly acted in good faith. Some businesses need reminding that they don't hold a monopoly on whatever it is they sell. Case in point; couple of weeks ago I went out to check out a D-18 in one of my local shops and gave the guys (who know me well as a customer), a list of stuff I had to trade. I expected a call back with a quote for the trades the next day. Never happened; I went down the road to Manson Guitars and spent my money on a D-18 there instead.

LyleGorch 05-27-2019 04:44 PM

I was new to buying off the internet and wanted to buy a red bear pick, so I tried to order one, this guy wrote back to me like I was the dumbest guy on earth. I didn’t know you can only buy on a certain day at a certain hour and it might not be the pick you want.

frankmcr 05-27-2019 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dotneck (Post 6072043)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Emerson (Post 6072047)

HE

Duluth Trading has developed a technology that allows users to avoid Plumber's Crack, so it stands to reason they can make picks that won't crack.

DownUpDave 05-27-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Emerson (Post 6072047)

HE

That made me laugh so hard. Well played sir.

Some companies seem to forget they are in a customer based buisness, not a pic making business. With the internet and immediate information shared about bad service things can go South real fast.

zoopeda 05-27-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownUpDave (Post 6072137)
That made me laugh so hard. Well played sir.

Some companies seem to forget they are in a customer based buisness, not a pic making business. With the internet and immediate information shared about bad service things can go South real fast.

I am NOT one to just hop online and trash a company because I know people can have a rough day. But this guy was just relentless with a barrage of nasty emails over a course of a week, stringing out the whole interaction. It was really unfortunate; I just didn't want others to get stuck by ornery customer service.

Silly Moustache 05-27-2019 05:55 PM

Just for info - on the Blue chip site :

Returns Policy

We are pleased to offer a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee. If you are unhappy with your purchase for any reason, we will refund your full purchase price.

The thirty day period begins on the day we ship your pick and picks that are returned must be in "as new" condition.

You should expect to receive your resolution within two weeks of giving your package to the return shipper, however, in most cases you will receive a refund/replacement more quickly. This time period includes the transit time for us to receive your return from the shipper, the time it takes us to process your return once we receive it, and the time it takes your bank to process our refund request.

I have never returned a BC pick, but after buying a couple decided to buy one for each of my guitars ... and the shipment got lost. I advised them, they reshipped. No fuss.

So I'm stating this because good customer service is equally worth sharing.