The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cover of Gregory Alan Isakov (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533240)

Sage97 01-01-2019 01:01 PM

Cover of Gregory Alan Isakov

Long time since I recorded anything so be gentle. :)

I recently finished The Haunting of Hill House, a scary movie on Netflix and was captivated by the song at the end credit. The singer's vocals stood out especially because his guitar sounded quite subdued, almost muted. My guess is he intentionally did this to put more emphasis on the lyrics. I tried to do the same strumming very gently using just the flesh of my thumb.

"If I Go, I'm Going"by Gregory Alan Isakov.

ssjk 01-01-2019 04:10 PM

Outstanding.

A song I haven't heard from a writer I'm not familiar with, and done without any fireworks. Something I normally would sample and move along from.

Loved it all the way through and will go back for a re-listen. Thanks.

P.S. Nice tasteful harmony too.

agfsteve 01-01-2019 05:07 PM

I love this song, and this is a fantastic cover.

Sage97 01-01-2019 08:40 PM

Thank you for the encouraging words, ssjk and agfsteve.

Glennwillow 01-01-2019 08:46 PM

Hi Sage!

That is beautifully done! I've never heard this song before, but it doesn't matter. You make it come alive! Very, very well done!

I hope things are going better for you these days, maybe you have seen a light at the end of the tunnel? I hope so. :)

- Glenn

islandguitar 01-01-2019 10:48 PM

That was outstanding!! Beautiful harmony, well paced......you nailed it!!

Sage97 01-02-2019 05:08 AM

Thank you Glenn and islanguitar. Things are improving and my hope is for all of us to have a great 2019.

willysunday 01-02-2019 05:51 AM

Sage,

really, really well done. I have not heard the original by Isakov and I really can't imagine it being any better than your rendition. Not that it's a competition- at all- but a compliment to your interpretation and talents.

Great recording effort. what do you use to record? harmony added so much and as mentioned above- tasteful. fine mix!

I only know Isakov from "The Stable Song" which usually stops me in my tracks whenever I hear it. Your cover will make me go listen to more of his work.

I hope you post more of yours.

Happy New Year and thanks for sharing

bill

Sage97 01-02-2019 02:34 PM

Thanks very for taking the time to listen and comment willysunday. Would love to hear your version of stable song. I don’t know any of his other work and I bet I’ll love it.

I use Garageband on my old iMac, an Apogee Duet as and interface, a Rode NTK mic for vocals and paired Gefell M300s for the guitar, Adam A7s for monitors and
ATHM50 for headphones. No room treatment as you can hear. I can't wait to start my project to do a small recording room.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

noledog 01-02-2019 10:53 PM

Always great to hear your pure, beautiful voice Ernie. This a great song and your cover is excellent. :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Happy 2019 bro,

eric

Sage97 01-03-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noledog (Post 5936776)
Always great to hear your pure, beautiful voice Ernie. This a great song and your cover is excellent. :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Happy 2019 bro,

eric

Thank you for constant support my friend. I’ve made an executive decision that 2019 will be a great year for everyone here at the AGF. So it shall be written, so it shall be done. :)

andre.g 01-04-2019 10:06 AM

Absolutely beautiful!

Stevied63 01-04-2019 10:18 AM

Beautiful cover. I'm also a new fan of Gregory Alan Isakov, and in particular, The Stable Song, which I learned over the holiday break. He's a great example of a songwriter and performer who can produce fantastic songs with only a few simple chords. You've done a wonderful job with this cover.

Sage97 01-04-2019 11:18 PM

Thank you Andre and Steve. Very nice of you two gentlemen to take the time to listen and share positive comments.

Now I really need to listen to The Stable Song.

Ryler 01-06-2019 05:37 PM

Your voice! I love it. And the arrangement. I'm a fan.