The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Musical Instruments (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Godin Inuk Ambiance Steel (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339629)

Doubleneck 04-29-2014 08:18 PM

Godin Inuk Ambiance Steel

Just got one off ebay for very little, kind of fun so far. Anyone have one?
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psf29d774e.jpg

Doubleneck 05-01-2014 04:37 AM

I guess it doesn't surprise me that not many people have this new instrument in their arsenal. Godin only brought it out two years ago and its an attempt to make a guitar Oud or Lute crossover. The Oud is probably one of the oldest instruments still played. You see similar instruments in ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece. It originated in the MidEast. In Europe it became the Lute. The Oud is probably the direct ancestor of the guitar cause its neck is much more like the guitar. Though in ancient times it had frets, the Oud now used in the Mideast is fretless. Godin makes the fretless model as well but with the Inuk they made it guitar player friendly by adding frets. You can tune it like a guitar. Build quality from Godin in top flight. And the Aura Pro preamp is pretty amazing. It is a hoot. I am playing Amazing Grace with our praise band with it Sunday. Got it three days ago so not much of an adjustment to get going with it. Fun to think you are playing a instrument that in its original form was played at the time of Christ or maybe at the formation of the early church.

Here how it sounds
http://youtu.be/I5EAWWe20ZY

Paikon 05-01-2014 05:33 AM

Its an oud with frets.:)
Oud is very popular in my countrys folk music but as a fretlles instrument needs a lot of control.

Enjoy your new inuk!

Doubleneck 05-01-2014 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paikon (Post 3935655)
Its an oud with frets.:)
Oud is very popular in my countrys folk music but as a fretlles instrument needs a lot of control.

Enjoy your new inuk!

It is fasinating to Utube good Oud players. As I read each country had its own Oud traditions. They tune it differently, I think that varies by country. In guitar tuning it can sound almost Celtic? Love its compact size.

Paikon 05-01-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 3935779)
It is fasinating to Utube good Oud players. As I read each country had its own Oud traditions. They tune it differently, I think that varies by country. In guitar tuning it can sound almost Celtic? Love its compact size.

Yes, you are right.
I dont know how it sounds in guitar tuning . The oud like most Mediterranean instruments are played monophonically ( playing melodies or solos with bases of the tonal note)
The traditional oud is really uncomfortable to hold.

Doubleneck 05-09-2014 02:02 PM

I am having a lot of fun with this beast. I think I am the only one in this universe that has tried it?

Petty1818 05-11-2014 12:08 PM

Does your inuk have the Fishman Aura electronics installed? It really does look like a really fun instrument but the new price is not to my liking, especially for an instrument that I would only use once or twice at a gig.

With that said, I feel as though I often overlook Godin, which is a shame because I am Canadian and they are so incredibly easy to find. However, they really do have something special going on that I don't think any other companies have matched yet. First, their instruments are actually made in Canada, most of their instruments are incredibly affordable and lastly, they are very innovative in their approach to pickups and electronic options. One of these days I am going to purchase one of their classical multiac instruments to replace my far inferior Epiphone Chet Atkins classical. I actually remember buying the Epiphone because I was really into Lindsey Buckingham who uses the Gibson Chet Atkins version. His classical is very expensive and has so many mods done to it for midi control that you would be looking at well over $4000.00. I don't know why anyone would pay that when you could simply buy a used or even new Godin multiac with synth/midi controls already installed.

Doubleneck 05-11-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petty1818 (Post 3950757)
Does your inuk have the Fishman Aura electronics installed? It really does look like a really fun instrument but the new price is not to my liking, especially for an instrument that I would only use once or twice at a gig.

With that said, I feel as though I often overlook Godin, which is a shame because I am Canadian and they are so incredibly easy to find. However, they really do have something special going on that I don't think any other companies have matched yet. First, their instruments are actually made in Canada, most of their instruments are incredibly affordable and lastly, they are very innovative in their approach to pickups and electronic options. One of these days I am going to purchase one of their classical multiac instruments to replace my far inferior Epiphone Chet Atkins classical. I actually remember buying the Epiphone because I was really into Lindsey Buckingham who uses the Gibson Chet Atkins version. His classical is very expensive and has so many mods done to it for midi control that you would be looking at well over $4000.00. I don't know why anyone would pay that when you could simply buy a used or even new Godin multiac with synth/midi controls already installed.

You are right on about Godin, I think they are somewhat overlooked in the States, but you are accurate, impeccable quality and innovation, especially in the electronics. My Inuk has the Aura Pro on board 4 Images of this instrument. Pretty amazing electrically. Bolt on neck is dead on perfect. 5/64 on bass E at the 12th and 4/64 on high E. Dream to play for a double coarse instrument. I hear you about the price for a instrument you may not use everyday. Actually I am with you, but I got this absolutely new in box for $560 on Ebay last week, that's about the retail price of the Aura Pro Preamp. Best score I have ever made. With only that invested it is a lot of fun. The single bass E makes sense really cause that is the one you can easily change with different songs drop D is very cool. Need to do a Utube there is only one with someone playing it like a guitar, all are Mideastern music which I am can appreciate but I am not into it.

Reality when you see this and play it the current retail price is worth it really, given the Preamp and the build quality. I just got incredibly lucky.

Petty1818 05-11-2014 03:45 PM

That is a great find! I am going to keep my eyes open for some used ones. I actually did a search for Godin multiac guitars in Ontario and there were so many hits that I stopped looking, which is great. Most of them were around the $600-800 range. I believe the multiac classical models retail from $1000-2000 so that's a great savings. Anyway, you have peaked my interest with the inuk. I hope to try one out soon!

Doubleneck 05-11-2014 04:17 PM

Happy hunting!

JimW1957 12-05-2020 02:02 AM

Just picked one up at the local music store. Got it for the trade in value, Less than 500.00. Tuned it DADGAD to begin with, and I'm amazed at the overall versatility. Can't put it down, keep finding new things to play. I guess I'll get around to doing a video soon...

catt 12-06-2020 12:42 PM

I play oud a bit. I was interested in the Godin e-oud when it came out, but I've never heard a sound clip that impressed me. So I've stuck to traditional ouds.

I think the godin glissanter (sp? - the longer scale, double-course, nylon fretless) would be interesting, however.

JMFingerstyle 12-07-2020 10:08 AM

I got one in 2018, and enjoy it quite a bit.

Here's a clip from the day I got it, playing through a Loudbox Mini

And here's a more recent one, the 3/4 time version of Star of the County Down. By this time, I had managed to cram an x-brace for a Tonewood amp into the Inuk (required carving a back brace and using stronger magnets), and that's providing the reverb effect.