The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone using a reverb pedal? What's your favorite? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619044)

nightchef 06-23-2021 01:40 PM

Anyone using a reverb pedal? What's your favorite?

I'm putting the pieces together for a live rig, now that "live" is starting to mean something again, and one of the items on my shopping list is a reverb pedal. I've never shopped for one before, having always been content with whatever was built in to the amp I was using. But now I won't be using an amp as such, instead going from a preamp/DI to a QSC powered speaker. So any effects, including reverb, will need to be added.

I'm inclined toward a reverb that includes the option of adding modulation--I don't think I'll need/want a separate chorus pedal, but some modulation in the reverb tail can sound great.

Units I've looked at that seem possible include the TC Hall of Fame 2, the Walrus Audio Fathom, and the Wampler Ethereal. The Strymon Blue Sky looks great, though $300 feels like too much.

Any thoughts on these or others?

pieterh 06-23-2021 02:38 PM

I have the HoF (mark 1) and use it all the time! I can’t remember if there is a Toneprint available for the HoF with chorus - there is for the Flashback…

Basically it’s more or less always on “spring” or “plate” when I use it with my little VOX AC4tv. When I use my main rig (Fender Deluxe Reverb blackface) then I can switch between different HoF presets and the amp’s own spring reverb.

I don’t use it with my acoustic rig unfortunately as I always run my acoustics through a Mackie DL1608 and I use the reverbs on the mixer.

For guitar you can also experiment with always on delays - I’ve started to do that more often with the electric rig and really like it (Wampler Faux Tape Echo, VERY nice).

PANDAPANDELO 06-23-2021 02:43 PM

I think that one of the most important things in a reverb pedal with acoustics is the control of the highs and bass into the wet signal. So, I had an experience with the Source Audio Collider, and even liking it, it just didn't make it. So, I am now using the Plate and Dinamic Hall of the HX Stomp, with a huge success... but this is probably temporary.

My goal is to keep things simple, and I'll probably use the UA Golden Reverberator for what I'm hearing online. I wanna just have the Preamp and a reverb pedal on my board, and the HX Stomp is just overkill for me. So, in the near future, I'll probably go with the UA reverb... I just need to visit USA to got myself one.

Bill R 06-23-2021 03:00 PM

I use a Neunaber Immerse reverb pedal. It has lots of options for tweaking sound and type of reverb.

Bill

nightchef 06-23-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill R (Post 6747766)
I use a Neunaber Immerse reverb pedal. It has lots of options for tweaking sound and type of reverb.

Bill

Just checked out the Pete Thorn demo video on the Neunaber site. Wow. That is some pretty good stuff.

6L6 06-23-2021 03:18 PM

Love my vintage BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay. One pedal that does it all!

KevWind 06-23-2021 03:29 PM

I use an EH Oceans 11

YamahaGuy 06-23-2021 04:12 PM

MXR Digital is pretty good. I like the TC Hof units too. Oceans 11 on my radar. Strymon on my "some day" list...

Daniel Grenier 06-24-2021 03:46 AM

Quote:

Bill

Seconded. I love mine. Uncomplicated, plug and play small unit. Lush rich sounds with lots of options. Well worth considering.

rmp 06-24-2021 04:00 AM

mine is simple... EH Holy Grail Nano. it has one control,.. :) it sounds good enough for me tho.

mitcher16 06-24-2021 08:31 AM

I have been using the Keeley Omni reverb. Sounds great, built like a tank, and very simple. Love it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...i-reverb-pedal

buzzardwhiskey 06-24-2021 08:52 AM

Using the LR Baggs Align reverb. Good sound although I wish the unit was "less potent" so that the reverb could be dialed down easier, but then I like "barely noticeable".

Jinder 06-24-2021 03:08 PM

At the moment I’m using either the reverb in my Boss AD10 pre (more ambience/room than big splashy verb, but very musical) or the amp reverb in my Compact 60/4 (superb, as you would expect from AER).

However, I’ve had excellent results previously from the Neunaber Seraphim/Wet and the EHX Cathedral. Both quite different, but equally magnificent.

doublescale1 06-25-2021 06:50 AM

I have a few, mostly I use a Hall of Fame pedal and sometimes I I'll change it out for my old Line6 Verbzilla which still sounds great (but it's big and heavy). I have a Boss RV6 on my "small" electric guitar board which I like a lot - and of course thanks to the miracle of Velcro, it can move to the big board in a NY Minute.

ZebraKing 06-25-2021 07:51 AM

Quote:

Bill

I had an Immerse MKII and it sounded just beautiful - the best reverb I've ever had. The additional sounds like echo and chorus were really great as well. Ultimately I took it off my board because I didn't want to be bending down and constantly fiddling with knobs to change sounds, plus I use the overall reverb on our PA which is sufficient for live and keeps the reverb consistent with vocals etc.

If the Immerse had presets and/or midi control I would have kept it. If you are not planning to use in live situations and don't mind doing a lot of knob twisting also is a very versatile tool.