The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   open gear tuners vs. closed (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499749)

KarenB 02-10-2018 07:42 PM

open gear tuners vs. closed

Seems like at one time all the "higher end" guitars had closed tuners. Now there are many at all price ranges with open gears. I'm wondering why the shift, and if one is "better" than the other. One thing I liked about closed gear is that there is a little screw for tightening if the tuner starts getting too loose. I don't know if open gear tuners have that. Thanks.

ChalkLitIScream 02-10-2018 07:55 PM

One advantage I know if is that the gears are protected from everyday gunk and the elements more in closed back tuners. Id reckon that they stay lubed longer too.

Ive always associated open gear with vintage style guitars and closed tuners with modern ones. I prefer closed back gotoh tuners.

kcnbys 02-10-2018 07:57 PM

I think the move to a wider use of open gear tuners correlates to a rise in popularity of more "vintage" styled and appointed guitars. I definitely dig the vintage vibe, and it's part of the reason I was attracted to the two acoustic models I currently own; both of which happen to have open gear tuners.

jaybones 02-10-2018 08:40 PM

Seems to me there's a difference between closed and sealed back tuners. Closed are a stamped metal cover over the gear. Protects the gear from dust and dirt, but not as well as true sealed tuners which are sealed.

But, in the bass world, it seems that some top of the line models still have the gear exposed. Probably since putting a stamped cover on the back would be too large.

Jeff Scott 02-10-2018 08:48 PM

Does any company make close back/sealed tuning keys for upright bass?

hearsedriver 02-10-2018 08:50 PM

Openbacks are lighter-weight too which, is a good thing. The less weight on the peghead, the more the neck can vibrate.

SpruceTop 02-10-2018 08:52 PM

I like open-back tuners for the old-timey vibe.

hairpuller 02-10-2018 09:03 PM

Yeah, I'm partial to the open backs simply because imho they look way better.
scott

AZLiberty 02-10-2018 09:05 PM

Open tuners are obviously lighter.

They also collect gook and dust bunnies.

merlin666 02-10-2018 09:06 PM

Some of my guitars have sealed Schaller type tuners and some have open Gotohs. The sealed ones are much smoother to operate.

jmooney 02-10-2018 09:07 PM

Cant imagine a Taylor with open gears.
Cant imagine a Martin or Gibson with closed gears.

jrs146 02-10-2018 09:09 PM

There’s just something about an open back tuner that just looks so beautiful. Vintage vibe aside they are very asthetislly pleasing.

jim1960 02-10-2018 09:10 PM

Folks that are worried about open back tuners accumulating massive amounts of dust and dirt should do fewer gigs in coal mines. But seriously, the worry over open gears getting jammed up with various kinds of debris is greatly over-exaggerated and that issue shouldn't be a deciding factor in choosing tuners unless your guitar is doing double-duty as a garden hoe.

Big Band Guitar 02-10-2018 10:17 PM

Open? Closed? what really matters is the quality of the alloys and machining. Smooth operation is a must. Least of all is the visual appearance.

I clean and lube with clock oil each time I change strings. A little care will make any quality tuner last a lifetime.

Guest 1511 02-10-2018 10:19 PM

I love open-backed tuners. They look really classy. And gunk? Unless your'e dipping them into something the worst I can think that'll get in there is some dust—I'm not overly worried.