The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Just another one of those moments... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547557)

TBman 05-23-2019 10:30 AM

Just another one of those moments...

I was sitting last night wishing I had better speakers for my computer. I don't know if it's really the speakers alone or some combination of problems with my sound card, but things sound off from time to time. There's some unexplained "warbling" in things from time to time.

I'm staring at my Focusrite, wishing upon that star, when I finally see it.

The headphone jack.

Output in all DAWs are now set to the Focusrite, speakers and soundcard issues are sidestepped. I have a set of AKG headphones with the adapter, I'm going to see if the adapter works with my Beats otherwise I'll get one (I may have one for them somewhere)

:)

sdelsolray 05-23-2019 11:18 AM

You should be able to connect your monitors to the Focusrite and treat the Focusrite interface as your "soundcard".

Rudy4 05-26-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 6068814)
I was sitting last night wishing I had better speakers for my computer. I don't know if it's really the speakers alone or some combination of problems with my sound card, but things sound off from time to time. There's some unexplained "warbling" in things from time to time.

I'm staring at my Focusrite, wishing upon that star, when I finally see it.

The headphone jack.

Output in all DAWs are now set to the Focusrite, speakers and soundcard issues are sidestepped. I have a set of AKG headphones with the adapter, I'm going to see if the adapter works with my Beats otherwise I'll get one (I may have one for them somewhere)

:)

You'd hope so, but that sometimes doesn't solve intermittent problems. Most of the setup guides for using a PC with a alternate sound card or external USB interface tell you to go into your PC bios setup and disable the internal sound card. That's the bios setup you access usually by pressing a function key during startup of your computer. I've always done it for any PC that I've used an interface card with.

As a side note, all the hoops you have to jump through for using a PC is why I love using an external recorder for audio capture. It's easy enough to use the PC for editing, though.

hurling frootmi 05-26-2019 10:44 AM

I mix a lot with headphones. I have a set of AKG Q701's and they get me most of the way to where I want to be. The focusrite can also output to a set of dedicated monitors. Check out the Yamaha HS5's or HS7's. I don't own a set but I have listened to them many times and thought they sounded fine. Another interesting option (that I use in my mix room) is to use a quality amp and a set of nice bookshelf speakers.

jim1960 05-26-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman (Post 6068814)
I was sitting last night wishing I had better speakers for my computer...

Remember that "ah hah" moment you had when you finally embraced the advice you were getting here and put your reverb on an aux track? Another one of those moments is waiting for you when you buy a decent set of studio monitors and hook them up to your interface.

TBman 05-26-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6071137)
Remember that "ah hah" moment you had when you finally embraced the advice you were getting here and put your reverb on an aux track? Another one of those moments is waiting for you when you buy a decent set of studio monitors and hook them up to your interface.

Yes, I remember that well, :D

I've kept that in the back of my mind. :)

gwlee7 05-26-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6071137)

Things that make you go Hmmm.