The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Parasite (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570430)

Sage97 01-25-2020 06:19 PM

Parasite

Just wondering if anyone has seen the movie. I enjoyed it.

M19 01-25-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage97 (Post 6275731)
Just wondering if anyone has seen the movie. I enjoyed it.

Is it about a Brother-in-Law? :D

Dru Edwards 01-25-2020 10:03 PM

Never heard of it. What's it about? (no spoilers). Horror?

Sage97 01-26-2020 01:41 PM

I posted the YouTube trailer on here but changed my mind. I think it showed too much.

It’s not horror but it is tense. Big picture, it is about the things people do to get ahead in life. Nice twist.

RP 01-26-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M19 (Post 6275874)
Is it about a Brother-in-Law? :D

Thanks for my chuckle of the day, Marty...

JCave 01-26-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M19 (Post 6275874)
Is it about a Brother? :D

In my case....

Pura Vida 01-26-2020 05:48 PM

It's still playing at a local theater, but it's coming out on DVD this week, so I have it at the top of my Netflix DVD queue. I keep a DVD subscription, mostly for the new releases. I'll post my thoughts, once I get to see it.

I did go to see "Knives Out" with the entire family this afternoon. Fantastic movie!

Sage97 01-26-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pura Vida (Post 6276616)
It's still playing at a local theater, but it's coming out on DVD this week, so I have it at the top of my Netflix DVD queue. I keep a DVD subscription, mostly for the new releases. I'll post my thoughts, once I get to see it.

I did go to see "Knives Out" with the entire family this afternoon. Fantastic movie!

Ha! I thought I was the only one left who did physical DVDs on Netflix. I do blurays on to get the full uncompressed surround sound.

Let me know what you think about Parasite. It's up for Best Picture. Knives Out looked really good to but haven't seen it yet.

Dru Edwards 01-26-2020 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage97 (Post 6276673)
Ha! I thought I was the only one left who did physical DVDs on Netflix. I do blurays on to get the full uncompressed surround sound.

Let me know what you think about Parasite. It's up for Best Picture. Knives Out looked really good to but haven't seen it yet.

DVDs? I'll have to pull out my X-Files DVDs seeing the show is no longer on Netflix. I was on my 2nd DVD viewing run, season 4, when it left. Just getting to the good stuff.

Sage97 01-26-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6276706)
DVDs? I'll have to pull out my X-Files DVDs seeing the show is no longer on Netflix. I was on my 2nd DVD viewing run, season 4, when it left. Just getting to the good stuff.

:)

TXF is on Hulu, I think. I really do need to buy the whole series on Bluray.

Pura Vida 01-26-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage97 (Post 6276673)

I could never give them up, and for <$20/month, it's a no brainer. I waste $20 on more frivolous stuff in a given month. And with two young kids, we weren't making it to the movies very often.

Wade Hampton 01-28-2020 03:26 AM

"Parasite" is a comedy of manners and class differences, almost a sort of South Korean "Upstairs, Downstairs," until about three quarters of the way through when it makes the first of a few totally unexpected turns in direction.

I didn't see any of those plot twists coming. Given how many zillions of movies I've seen in my lifetime, that's remarkably rare.

It's definitely worth seeing, and quite thought-provoking.

Bong Joon Ho has written and directed some interesting films. I liked "Snowpiercer," but couldn't get with "Okja," which I turned off about a third of the way through.

One actor he's worked with a lot is Kang-ho Song, who plays the father of the lower class family in "Parasite." Kang-ho also played a major part in "Snowpiercer," and he had the Eli Wallach part in Korean-Manchurian remake of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly," which they remade as "The Good, The Bad, The Weird." If you've never seen that movie, it's really a wonderful flick, and in this version Kang-ho Song's character gets more screen time than anyone else.

IMdB describes the plot as "The story of two outlaws and a bounty hunter in 1940s Manchuria and their rivalry to possess a treasure map while being pursued by the Japanese army and Chinese bandits," but it seems more like it's happening in the early to mid 1930's than during WWII proper.

Not that it matters - it's completely made up and isn't intended to be historically accurate, it's just an immensely enjoyable action Western translated to Manchuria instead of Wyoming or Arizona.

If you like Westerns with some humor in them, you'll probably like "The Good, The Bad, The Weird."

Wade Hampton Miller

Dog Shape Cloud 01-29-2020 12:03 PM

One of the decade's better films. Didn't think I'd like it at all (family drama about class differences in South Korea? No thanks), but a friend finally wore me down enough to take a look, and I was blown away. Tremendous performances, wonderful cinematography and soundtrack, starts slow and pleasant but once it steps on the gas it doesn't let up. A rare, subtle achievement.

Sage97 02-10-2020 05:43 AM

Won a bunch awards last night including Best Picture.

Bax Burgess 02-10-2020 06:20 AM

The kid fainting at the garden party - hilarious.