The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Pick-up System (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507915)

The Doc... 04-21-2018 09:12 AM

Pick-up System

For the Benefit of all of us looking for the "Best Pick-up" Rig..........Watch from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbbcYC5mMQM&t=1089s

Petty1818 04-21-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc... (Post 5707644)
For the Benefit of all of us looking for the "Best Pick-up" Rig..........Watch from the beginning.

Whenever I hear "David Wilcox" I instantly think of the blues/rock guitarist. I grew up in Canada so David Wilcox is on the radio every fifth song. I don't know this David Wilcox well but I agree and disagree. I do think you sometimes need more than one system but this is a bit overkill. I think we are at the stage where systems like the Anthem, Tonedexter etc can get us so close that there's no real reason to modify a guitar to this extent.

I will say this though, I completely agree with his philosophy on using the best guitar for the job, which doesn't always necessarily mean your most prized guitar. There's something to be said for artists like Eric Johnson and Tommy Emmanuel who could own any acoustic they want but choose Maton for live us. Their tones are consistently great.

BluesKing777 04-21-2018 06:04 PM

Fantastic video, thanks for posting that!

Did he have that laugh before he went down ‘Pickup Road’?:D

BluesKing777.

The Doc... 04-21-2018 08:13 PM

Re: The Rabbit Hole

IMHO....David Wilcox is a wonderful guitar player, excellent song writer, a "must see whenever possible" performer and a master of all tunings. He has a great sense of humor and is - I suppose - a bit quirky to some...and has an extremely unique laugh! He has the best plugged in acoustic sound I've ever heard live when he plays his Olson guitar, and his Rainsong is fabulous as well.

He definitely has gone down the "rabbit hole" of mastering the acoustic guitar sound plugged in....I can only dream...

Andy Howell 04-22-2018 03:04 PM

He should try the Tonedexter :-)

BluesKing777 04-22-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Howell (Post 5708707)
He should try the Tonedexter :-)

Ha Ha ....

But that would mean he would have to start over with gulp.........one pickup for Tonedexter...:D

Imagine his cackle laugh then!

BluesKing777.

dannyg1 04-22-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc... (Post 5707644)

He doesn’t even describe the pickup. This was a pretty pointless waste of time.

Mbroady 04-22-2018 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc... (Post 5708158)
IMHO....David Wilcox is a wonderful guitar player, excellent song.................! He has the best plugged in acoustic sound I've ever heard live when he plays his Olson guitar, and his Rainsong is fabulous as well.

I saw him live a couple of times and I agree his Olsen sounds amazing. The rain song sound great as well. In addition to his guitar electronics he did have a pencil style condenser mic that he blended in.

rockabilly69 04-22-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyg1 (Post 5708876)
He doesn’t even describe the pickup. This was a pretty pointless waste of time.

watch from the beginning

Andy Howell 04-23-2018 01:23 AM

Blending in a mic as well?

The Doc... 04-23-2018 10:06 AM

From the beginning...

If you watch from the beginning, he describes his pickup (s) in great detail. He uses at least 5 different pickups, and as stated by a previous person, will often add a mic out in front of his guitar as well. IMO, he has the best plugged in acoustic sound I've had the opportunity to hear live...When he plays his Olson plugged in, it sounds like his Olson unplugged, only louder.

I've never tried a Tonedexter, but I have heard another guitar player use one in a live, single performer concert setting with a Martin 00-28. IMHO, the Tonedexter was very nice, but did not rise anywhere near to the level of "natural tone" of Wilcox's plugged in Olson.

And of course, this is just my view through my ears...

Petty1818 04-23-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Doc... (Post 5709399)
If you watch from the beginning, he describes his pickup (s) in great detail. He uses at least 5 different pickups, and as stated by a previous person, will often add a mic out in front of his guitar as well. IMO, he has the best plugged in acoustic sound I've had the opportunity to hear live...When he plays his Olson plugged in, it sounds like his Olson unplugged, only louder.

I've never tried a Tonedexter, but I have heard another guitar player use one in a live, single performer concert setting with a Martin 00-28. IMHO, the Tonedexter was very nice, but did not rise anywhere near to the level of "natural tone" of Wilcox's plugged in Olson.

And of course, this is just my view through my ears...

I am not super familiar with Wilcox but I did watch a handful of videos. He's quite talented and enjoyable to watch. In almost every video though, I heard a faint but noticeable buzz coming from his guitar. I wonder if it's the sound hole pickup? He looks to use an external mic so of course his guitar will sound even better than the TD. I have been experimenting with the TD and I think for an all in one solution, it's about as good as it gets.

hess 04-23-2018 03:03 PM

The Doc, thank you for posting this video! He is certainly clever and has a great sound. The fret marker lights are great!

Andy Howell 04-24-2018 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hess (Post 5709692)
The Doc, thank you for posting this video! He is certainly clever and has a great sound. The fret marker lights are great!

Yes, I thought the fret marker lights was the most useful addition!

hotroad 04-24-2018 06:50 PM

I listened to this with very good headphones and cannot understand why he needs all those pickups to sound like this. Some people just love complicated little tiny pieces of experience and gear and small bytes of tone, and lots of them, to feel that they are doing something useful. Not me. But I do love awesome tone and I have that in spades with a dual source system.