The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   any feedback on B&G guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507634)

darylcrisp 04-18-2018 09:11 PM

any feedback on B&G guitars

I've watched these videos often, the tone and looks grab my attention.
anyone have experience with any of the models they make?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5BSokD9h70

imwjl 04-19-2018 07:07 AM

I haven't had hands on but they've stood out to me. They appear to be in the space where Collings, PRS and others are making good stuff that doesn't exactly follow tradition.

One bit of curiosity is if their top models are in that "how do humans make something so perfect" league Collings is in. If they're even close that's more support for my not caring if Gibson dies and might not go to heaven.

This is (I hope) going to be arm chair watching because I feel I'm set for life with a few nice guitars but I'm all for the success of this firm. It looks like they've got a nice combo of design, passion and quality going on.

Their address doesn't look very major corporation in an entertaining way.

https://goo.gl/maps/heMmHfbwgWm

tippy5 04-19-2018 03:01 PM

A friend of mine who owns literally hundreds of high end guitars. He swears by these. He bought 2, a P90 and dual Hum. This was back in there first year or two. He described B&G old world feel and sound. Their tone on the internet does have a ton of character. I wish I had one of the first year P90's. My friend has dozens of really expensive custom shop wood library PRS guitars. He has sent many emails prodding me to pull the $3,200 (back then ) trigger on these B&G. Never tried one. Yet I kind of am over short scale electrics. I have two and that's enough for me.

ChrisN 04-19-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tippy5 (Post 5706025)
A friend of mine who owns literally hundreds of high end guitars. He swears by these. He bought 2, a P90 and dual Hum. This was back in there first year or two. He described B&G old world feel and sound. Their tone on the internet does have a ton of character. I wish I had one of the first year P90's. My friend has dozens of really expensive custom shop wood library PRS guitars. He has sent many emails prodding me to pull the $3,200 (back then ) trigger on these B&G. Never tried one. Yet I kind of am over short scale electrics. I have two and that's enough for me.

They offer a Chinese-made version for $1400 or so.

perttime 04-20-2018 07:43 AM

The Guitar Magazine just had a few pages on the Asian production Little Sister with humbuckers. They loved just about everything: playability, sound including overtones, look, balance with the 14th fret neck joint. The only slight negative was that they'd have preferred the different wiring that the hand made ones have.

LouieAtienza 04-20-2018 10:49 AM

I love their sound and look, though Yoni Schlesinger could play a broomstick with rubber bands and make that sound good! Keep his B&G video doing Brothers In Arms in my rotation...

jwguitar 04-29-2018 07:26 PM

I have heard nothing but good things.

DavidE 04-30-2018 07:53 AM

I played one at Chicago Music Exchange. Frankly, I thought the build quality was low for the price and I just didn't care for the feel at all. I think there are much better made guitars for that kind of money.

Johnny K 04-30-2018 12:18 PM

Saw a Little Sister 'in the flesh' over the weekend. Beautiful guitar. The store owner had it in a glass case next to a $30,000 ES, also in a glass case. Did not play it or ask to touch it. (or the Little Sister)

LouieAtienza 04-30-2018 12:59 PM

perttime 04-30-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidE (Post 5715696)
I played one at Chicago Music Exchange. Frankly, I thought the build quality was low for the price and I just didn't care for the feel at all. I think there are much better made guitars for that kind of money.

Interesting. Was it one of the handmade ones, or an Asian one? Can you be more specific about what you didn't like?

DavidE 04-30-2018 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perttime (Post 5715979)
Interesting. Was it one of the handmade ones, or an Asian one? Can you be more specific about what you didn't like?

I didn’t know there were Asian models. This one was around $3k, so assume it was American. It was months ago, but I remember that the work around the f hole looked poorly done. It looked cheaply made for the price. I didn’t plug it in.

ChrisN 04-30-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidE (Post 5716041)
I didn’t know there were Asian models. This one was around $3k, so assume it was American. It was months ago, but I remember that the work around the f hole looked poorly done. It looked cheaply made for the price. I didn’t plug it in.

The non-Asian version is made in Israel, I believe. F-hole work sounds same as I received on a new Gibson ES - a blind guy with a magic marker drove that bus. I thought I bought a blem, but no, that's Gibson QC these days.

gr81dorn 05-01-2018 12:37 PM

So technically, they're all made in Asia. The handmade ones are in a small shop in Israel and the others are made in a factory in China.

I've had both.

The handmade one was very high quality and based on their videos and social media, they clearly are taking their time with each guitar and really ensuring they are works of art when they are done. Sounded and played great- humbucker model.

They make some of the hardware themsleves even, which is a really cool feature. I love the idea of the shape, neck access, etc. It could shred and really was a unique take on Les Pauls essentially, though with a lot of cool nuance but the tone harkened to that.

I got one of the first Crossroads models out of China and sent it back immediately. It was not a $1500 guitar IMHO, plain and simple. That's not to rag on it, but it felt cheap, just sorta blah sounding and playing and a lot of the charm of the Israeli-made version was gone. They sorta cloned it and dialed the quality back on all the parts, which almost wouldn't have mattered if they it hadn't made it all feel cheap, but it did. That's one man's opinion. I had a P90 version of this one and the pickups weren't very pleasing to me.

I am one man...someone else probably loves it and that's the beauty of this wide world of guitars, right? ;-)

DavidE 05-03-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisN (Post 5716110)
The non-Asian version is made in Israel, I believe. F-hole work sounds same as I received on a new Gibson ES - a blind guy with a magic marker drove that bus. I thought I bought a blem, but no, that's Gibson QC these days.

Yes. Now I remember seeing the made in Israel sticker.