The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Christmas Gifts? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567431)

Dru Edwards 12-25-2019 10:42 AM

Christmas Gifts?

Anyone get anything special for Christmas this year, whether gift, spending time with family/friends or peace?

RP 12-25-2019 10:51 AM

Starting this thread on a musical note, I wanted (and received) a carrying case for CDs in jewel covers. It seems very substantial although it resembles something a spy would use to transport stolen nuclear materials. Won't try to carry it through airport security...

CoffeeFan 12-25-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6248357)
Anyone get anything special for Christmas this year, whether gift, spending time with family/friends or peace?

My brother and his family flew in from Ohio last night. This is the first Christmas they'll spend without my nephew, who died back in September.

An aside: My brother asked the funeral director if he could get an ink impression of Ryan's thumbprint. Now my brother, sister-in-law and three nieces (ages 13, 18 and 25) all have Ryan's thumbprint tattooed on their wrists. The tattoo artist wasn't going to do the young one's tattoo but, under the circumstances, she did.

Anyway, dinner's gonna' be a tough one tonight...

Dru Edwards 12-25-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 6248366)
Starting this thread on a musical note, I wanted (and received) a carrying case for CDs in jewel covers. It seems very substantial although it resembles something a spy would use to transport stolen nuclear materials. Won't try to carry it through airport security...

RP - just put a tag on the case that states you're a Diplomat and you don't have to worry about airport security :).

DenverSteve 12-25-2019 11:35 PM

Large bottle of Glenlivet 12-year-old. So, yes. :)

jpd 12-26-2019 08:45 AM

First combined family get together with my son in-laws family. Little kids took over the house :)

Dru Edwards 12-26-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeFan (Post 6248379)
My brother and his family flew in from Ohio last night. This is the first Christmas they'll spend without my nephew, who died back in September.

An aside: My brother asked the funeral director if he could get an ink impression of Ryan's thumbprint. Now my brother, sister-in-law and three nieces (ages 13, 18 and 25) all have Ryan's thumbprint tattooed on their wrists. The tattoo artist wasn't going to do the young one's tattoo but, under the circumstances, she did.

Sorry to hear about your nephew. The thumbprint tattoo is an idea I never thought about and I think it's a great idea. Peace.

pieterh 12-26-2019 03:17 PM

My wife, younger son and I are flying to London in January where my wife and I will be going to see Francis Dunnery It Bites do my favourite album, Once Around The World in its entirety. Not only having a weekend with the love of my life but we’ll be checking into a nice hotel after the show so we can have a whole romantic day of it while our son hangs out with his cousins. That is my Xmas present from her...:)

My older son is still studying in Japan though he is home for the holidays. He has brought great Japanese food stuffs, Taiwanese whiskey, and some lovely Japanese clothes as presents.

We’ve been to a 20s themed cinema just before Christmas (check it out, it’s called Capitol Bio in Stockholm, it’s so cool!).

I didn’t really want or need anything for Christmas, just wanted to chill with the family and for all of us to have a nice time together. So far we are!

pieterh 12-26-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeFan (Post 6248379)

Sounds tough. Thinking of you all and wishing you all the best in spite of the heartbreak.

Dru Edwards 12-26-2019 04:18 PM

Merry Christmas, Pieter. Sounds like you have a great trip to London planned ... enjoy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pieterh (Post 6249283)
My wife, younger son and I are flying to London in January where my wife and I will be going to see Francis Dunnery It Bites do my favourite album, Once Around The World in its entirety. Not only having a weekend with the love of my life but we’ll be checking into a nice hotel after the show so we can have a whole romantic day of it while our son hangs out with his cousins. That is my Xmas present from her...:)

My older son is still studying in Japan though he is home for the holidays. He has brought great Japanese food stuffs, Taiwanese whiskey, and some lovely Japanese clothes as presents.

We’ve been to a 20s themed cinema just before Christmas (check it out, it’s called Capitol Bio in Stockholm, it’s so cool!).

I didn’t really want or need anything for Christmas, just wanted to chill with the family and for all of us to have a nice time together. So far we are!

imwjl 12-26-2019 05:25 PM

I considered the time with family and their grandmothers plenty special.

Maybe it's a self-gift but I planned nothing. Then my business team rep at the Apple Store held the generally backordered AirPods Pro for me and I believe they'll be keepers. Phone calls, hearing aids, better sound and they don't fall out like the original models. With a 6+ hour flight coming up it will be nice to carry less and have noise cancelling.

AmericanEagle 12-26-2019 05:41 PM

I got nothing.

ahorsewithnonam 12-26-2019 06:38 PM

I got my annual FREE GUITAR from the AGF. The same boring private jet to Nazareth to pick out the Martin of my choice. I was unimpressed with the free champagne on the flight. And, to top it off, the limousine driver sent to my house was boring. The Buckeyes better win Saturday to get me out of this Holiday mood! Better step it up AGF!

Fogducker 12-26-2019 08:07 PM

Got a book that Henry Ford put together of old time waltzes, schottisches, sq. dance calls etc. from the 30's. Good stuff, the Military Schottische (Sounds like the BG piece "Flop Eared Mule") that I heard at the "Half Way" bar in Atlantic Mine while I was studying to be an engineer at Mich Tech is in there!

Also a copy of a "Dick and Jane" primer book (My wife is a retired teacher). Gee, I didn't know baby Sally's teddy bear Tim couldn't eat Grand Mother's cookies!

Fog

Pura Vida 12-27-2019 11:44 AM

After three consecutive years with a new guitar under the tree (twice for my daughter, once for me), this year's musical gifts were mostly accessories. Collectively, our family got a new Hercules stand, two wall mounts, dozens of strings, two microphones, a bluetooth hygrometer, and misc. smaller items.

We are very fortunate, so aside from it being about the kids, we don't usually play up the holidays too much vs. the rest of the year.