The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Alcohol sales are up (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585449)

buddyhu 06-30-2020 11:22 AM

Alcohol sales are up

Just heard from a friend that alcohol sales are up 27% since the beginning of the COVID19 crisis (and that online alcohol sales are up 250%).

Alcohol is an infrequent indulgence for me and my wife, so I am not contributing to that surge. But some folks in circle are talking quite openly about their increased consumption. I guess everyone is feeling a bit squeezed, and are responding in their characteristic ways. Still, 27%? I hope some/most of that is hoarding....

Tyeetime 06-30-2020 11:26 AM

it could be more people buying alcohol for home instead of going out to restaurants and bars and taverns etc?

Mr. Jelly 06-30-2020 11:33 AM

I drink less since I can't go out. But my medicinals usage is up. My cooking has improved and my expenses have gone down since I can't eat in restaurantss.

Neil K Walk 06-30-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyeetime (Post 6424835)
it could be more people buying alcohol for home instead of going out to restaurants and bars and taverns etc?

Based on the increased numbers in our area since bars and restaurants reopened and people have traveled to hard hit areas on vacation I'd tend to disagree with that. In response, our county has ceased all alcohol sales in such establishments.

That being said, my beer fridge is getting low and my wife is due another delivery from wine.com. Here in Pennsylvania we still have blue laws but this pandemic may be the final nail in their coffin.

jpd 06-30-2020 11:50 AM

This is gonna sound crazy...

A Prime driver told us that half his truck deliveries are wine!

RP 06-30-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd (Post 6424851)
A Prime driver told us that half his truck deliveries are wine!

One person's dinner drink is another person's coping mechanism...

KevWind 06-30-2020 12:59 PM

I know my wine consumption has likely quadrupled. From of a couple of ounces at dinner once every couple of months, to maybe once every couple of weeks. Talk about a binge

rokdog49 06-30-2020 05:13 PM

I don’t consume alcohol anymore.
I found it made my sometimes distasteful personality even more distasteful, my big mouth even bigger and my pea-sized brain even smaller.

mc1 06-30-2020 05:17 PM

I bought my 2 week's worth of stock 3 times in the last 7 days!

Seriously, I bet it's the same for potato chips and pop. People hoard up then go through it much faster because it's available, they're home, and their routines are mixed up.

(Hi Rich! :))

AmericanEagle 06-30-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 6424924)

Sad but true. And it often leads to dependence.

Fogducker 06-30-2020 09:26 PM

Alcohol kills brain cells---------but only the weak ones!

Fog

Earl49 06-30-2020 09:51 PM

As my old grand pappy used to say, "Sterilize from the inside, son". ;) In my case, most of my regular meds say "no alcohol" so a twelve pack of beer would last me a whole year. As I tell my doc, if I'm going to consume something that turns into glucose in about two chemical reactions, it will be ice cream, not beer.

I'm waiting to hear about a mini baby boom about nine months after the stay-at-home orders first went into effect. That will be right around New Year's....

RP 07-01-2020 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rokdog49 (Post 6425134)
...I found it made my sometimes distasteful personality even more distasteful, my big mouth even bigger and my pea-sized brain even smaller.

Not that it would do any good but maybe the Surgeon General should post your warning on all containers of alcoholic beverages...

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that drinking alcoholic beverages will make distasteful personalities even more distasteful, big mouths even bigger and pea-sized brains even smaller.

M19 07-01-2020 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 6424924)

I resemble that remark! :D

rmp 07-01-2020 04:33 AM

--- eehh I'm not as think as you drunk I am, I only had tee martoonis...