The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   String Suggestions for CA Gloss Legacy please (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489755)

rmsstrider 11-17-2017 12:06 PM

String Suggestions for CA Gloss Legacy please

I have been trying a variety of strings on my Composite Acoustics Hi Gloss Legacy Dread. Still looking for suggestions I may have missed. I do not like coated strings.
So far I have tried the following. All in lights.
PB's -
D'Addario
80/20's
D'Addario
Martin Acoustic
Martin SP
Martin Lifespan
John Pearse
Ernie Ball
Cleartone
I found the PB strings too dark for this guitar, but i could be wrong.
So far it is a toss up between D'Addario, Martin and John Pearse. I gave the Cleartone's about 10 hours and took them off.

What else should I try?

benderman57 11-17-2017 01:01 PM

Don't own a CA Dread anymore but I have really been liking the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings on my emerald X20. They seem to be a nice balance of Brightness with some meat as well.

Ed-in-Ohio 11-17-2017 01:33 PM

I have a CA OX in the RAW finish, and it just loves the La Bella Golden Alloy (80/20) strings. I'll be trying the GHS Bright Bronze (also 80/20) at the next change.

jdinco 11-17-2017 02:46 PM

I don't own a CA dread, but have had great luck with TI Plectrums and SCGC Low tension on my other CF guitars. Just throwing it out there for some to check out.

dadio917 11-17-2017 02:51 PM

i'll second the plectrums on a CF guitar. <$20 on amazon at the moment.

rmsstrider 11-17-2017 03:44 PM

Hmm, not sure on the Plectrums. Do I read correctly , the low E is 59?
Also My guitar does not have a truss rod. Is that a problem. I cant adjust the neck relief for low tension.

steelvibe 11-17-2017 04:15 PM

I was not overly impressed with the TI Plectrums on my Rainsong. When I consider the cost I'm even less impressed. They do have a very unique sound and feel but they didn't sound better to my ears than other strings half the cost. They were just "good" for me.

cheeksmiller 11-17-2017 04:29 PM

Try the Martin Retro's. I have been using them on my CA X

rmsstrider 11-17-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeksmiller (Post 5540111)
Try the Martin Retro's. I have been using them on my CA X

Worth a try, I tried them on my 000 18 and did not care for them. Might be a totally different experience on a Cf guitar.

steelvibe 11-17-2017 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmsstrider (Post 5540131)
Worth a try, I tried them on my 000 18 and did not care for them. Might be a totally different experience on a Cf guitar.

I love the Retros on my RS. RS guitars are on the brighter side (which I like), and the Retros seem to balance the Shorty a lot better to my ears. I think CA guitars are a little darker sounding in general, so you might want something with a little more sparkle? Don't get me wrong though, the Retros are great and certainly worth a try at 8 bucks a pack.

tdq 11-19-2017 03:20 AM

Retros - I love them on my other guitars, not sure they'd suit the CA, but certainly worth a try. I might try them, next string change. I use JP 80/20s on my GX - just recently I upped my gauge to 0.013s (from 0.012) and am really liking them, as I'm flatpicking on it more that I used to.

guitararmy 11-19-2017 05:31 AM

My CA Legacy is a bit dark sounding, and I was also not happy with most string brands and types on it until I tried some Martin Retro's.

rmsstrider 11-20-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitararmy (Post 5541513)
My CA Legacy is a bit dark sounding, and I was also not happy with most string brands and types on it until I tried some Martin Retro's.

Looks like I will have to try some Martin Retro's. Right now I have JP 80/20 lights on for about 3 days. They locked in tune immediately and broke in quickly. So far the best set of strings I have found for this particular guitar. Jury is still out as to how long they will last. Retro's will be next string change in about 3 weeks and or so. I play on average about 20 hours per week.

tdq 12-11-2017 07:03 PM

Update: I put some Martin Retro's on my CA GX. Doesn't really work for me - they have a nice dry mid-rangey feel, which I quite like actually, but I have other guitars that fill that niche. I love retro's on my archtop and resonator, but I prefer the richer tone I get from 80/20s for the GX. As always, YMMV.

rmsstrider 12-11-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmsstrider (Post 5542847)
Looks like I will have to try some Martin Retro's. Right now I have JP 80/20 lights on for about 3 days. They locked in tune immediately and broke in quickly. So far the best set of strings I have found for this particular guitar. Jury is still out as to how long they will last. Retro's will be next string change in about 3 weeks and or so. I play on average about 20 hours per week.

Update, the JP strings were great for awhile but alas did not last as long as I would have liked. I went back to Daddario 80/20's for now. Still searching.