The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Embryonic Journey (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521569)

Toby Walker 09-11-2018 02:03 PM

Embryonic Journey

My version of it anyway, played on my Eastman E10 OO.

Glennwillow 09-11-2018 03:40 PM

That was awesome, Toby! I hear your own style in there, but I also hear plenty of the original. Very cool job on this Toby! Thanks for this! That was fun and a nice trip down memory lane for me!

I have always loved that song. I should learn to play it!

- Glenn

Toby Walker 09-11-2018 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 5834543)
That was awesome, Toby! I hear your own style in there, but I also hear plenty of the original. Very cool job on this Toby! Thanks for this! That was fun and a nice trip down memory lane for me!

I have always loved that song. I should learn to play it!

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn! The main parts of the song would be very doable for you. There's a video somewhere of Jorma teaching it.

J.R. Rogers 09-11-2018 05:57 PM

Sounds really good, Toby. Thank you!

JR

Toby Walker 09-13-2018 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers (Post 5834636)
Sounds really good, Toby. Thank you!

JR

Thanks J.R. :D

MrEd 09-13-2018 08:08 AM

Wow - great playing & I love your enthusiasm!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Toby Walker 09-13-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEd (Post 5836018)
Wow - great playing & I love your enthusiasm!

Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

M Sarad 09-13-2018 12:37 PM

I was 11 when my big brother bought me Surrealistic Pillow. I remember the very first time I heard Embryonic Journey. It blew my mind and brought me to the acoustic guitar.

Along with the Water Song, and Police Dog Blues on Quah. it brought me to an alternate tuning.

Well done.

justonwo 09-13-2018 01:14 PM

Very, very cool. My guitar teacher, Jim Steinke, was taught by Jorma way back in the day. Embryonic Journey is one of the songs he really spent a lot of time on. There is a lot of nuance and technique in that song that I've revisited over the years with Jim. One thing in particular was to rake my pointer finger on the A chord upstroke of that main riff. It's a small change but it makes a subtle but pleasing difference in the sound. Same with the closing riff and final chord. Raked up with my forefinger, it's quite striking.

Toby Walker 09-13-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justonwo (Post 5836348)
Very, very cool. My guitar teacher, Jim Steinke, was taught by Jorma way back in the day. Embryonic Journey is one of the songs he really spent a lot of time on. There is a lot of nuance and technique in that song that I've revisited over the years with Jim. One thing in particular was to rake my pointer finger on the A chord upstroke of that main riff. It's a small change but it makes a subtle but pleasing difference in the sound. Same with the closing riff and final chord. Raked up with my forefinger, it's quite striking.

Jorma does a lot of that - especially on the upbeat - in many of his songs. I think it's part of his 'trademark.'

agfsteve 09-13-2018 07:38 PM

Wow, it actually sounds like a journey!

MHC 09-14-2018 09:41 AM

Such a terrific cover.

I don't know why, but it really put me in mind of a long, lyrical cross-country train journey - watching the landscape flow by. Maybe it's that alternating bass sounding like wheels on the tracks.

Anyway - thanks, man.

Toby Walker 09-14-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHC (Post 5837174)
Such a terrific cover.

I don't know why, but it really put me in mind of a long, lyrical cross-country train journey - watching the landscape flow by. Maybe it's that alternating bass sounding like wheels on the tracks.

Anyway - thanks, man.

I sorted of zoned out myself while playing it. Thanks. :D

jjgms 09-14-2018 06:22 PM

wasn't sure at first (since it has been covered so many time before) but this was a good piece. once again, Baby I'm amazed.

TBman 09-14-2018 09:20 PM

Cool piece. I've heard the name of the song, but never heard the song before.

Nice job!