The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Build and Repair (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   First build... come laugh at my mistakes. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605580)

warfrat73 01-30-2021 11:28 PM

First build... come laugh at my mistakes.

Officially underway.
We'll see how it goes. Might get it done, might take a while. Still have some bits and pieces to collect.

Working with an Englemann top and EIR B&S. Kind of went with what was inexpensive hedging against the possibility of either screwing up terribly or just not following through (either of which are distinct possibilities).

As I mentioned in my thread about tools, I started one many years ago, but it didn't get very far.

Felt pretty good about the jointing, which I quite struggled with last time out. Looked nice and tight when candled.

Hopefully it sticks together. A bit sloppy with the glue, a few drips. And slightly concerned with what appears a dark glue line in the pic... but it's just from a slightly dirty finger when I wiped off some squeeze out (I think).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...590f65a001.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c8eb2452f8.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...3a12e4efcf.jpg

Brucebubs 01-31-2021 12:05 AM

Hey check out my neck rest and bridge clamp ... there won't be any laughing from me. Good on you for giving it a shot.

https://i.imgur.com/zmC0WAMl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/nzS06TRl.jpg

srick 01-31-2021 05:47 AM

These are not mistakes, they are how you learn. I recently spoke with one renowned luthier who built only two guitars in his first ten years (and I assume they are now safely tucked away). He now has an international reputation.

My only piece of advice on building would be to start early in your life, because you likely aren’t smart enough to know what you don’t know and are willing to take risks. I am contemplating building a guitar (now in my late 60s) and it scares me - I know too much! IMO, you have to be willing to put a few in the trash and move on.

When I was young, I built furniture as a hobby. It’s so easy in comparison. For the most part, you’re dealing with straight, dimensioned, pieces of wood. The biggest challenge is likely the joinery. OTOH, a musical instrument is a totally different beast; any glue drops, gaps, joinery issues, etc., can easily be seen by even the casual observer. The finish needs to be immaculate. The wood is thin and curved, it’s easy to crack. And of course, when you put it together, it’s got to sound good and play well up the neck.

Creating a musical instrument is a woodworking tour de force. Good for you for taking on the challenge!

Best,

Rick

PS - a good pair of magnifiers becomes more and more helpful as we go past 50.

nikpearson 01-31-2021 09:05 AM

Congratulations on starting this adventure...

Realising that you often learn more from getting things wrong can be very liberating.

Getting a good soundboard joint can be challenging. I’m on my 5th guitar and am lucky to have access to some very experienced and skilled makers through college. I’ve found that you can get a perfect (invisible) joint in just a few minutes by using a levelling beam lined with 120 grit abrasive. My 24” beam works best for this job. After using a plane on a shooting board to get close, a few passes using the beam on the same shooting board and you have a perfect join. Previously, I sometimes spent hours chasing tiny humps and dips along the edges. The levelling beam is useful for other jobs as well.

If you have a good joint then you can easily glue and clamp the soundboard halves just using automotive masking tape (blue 3M 4343 works very well). I just apply a bit of tension as I stretch pieces of tape across the two halves. You can even avoid needing to use weights by doing the same on the reverse. I’ll never use another method now.

Good luck with the rest of your build and keep posting.

Kerbie 01-31-2021 09:14 AM

Laugh? Never... you haven't seen my luthier skills yet! :lol:

It appears you're making very good progress. Keep it up.

H165 01-31-2021 09:41 AM

As noted above, there are really no mistakes on a first build; there's just education.

My first guitar is about fifty clicks away from perfection, but I still play it and it works just fine.

warfrat73 01-31-2021 09:49 AM

Well, the joint seems solid. Was able to flex it without it failing (officially better than the first try).

One step that I missed was "seating" the plates so that they line up perfectly (e.g. tapping on either side of the seem with a bit of wood) I guess I thought that the bit of weight would be sufficient. Should have used a caul to spread it out. The rims on the bottoms of those buckets left minor indentations.

The left plate sits a fraction proud in those few spots where the seem looks darker. Not sure if that's because I didn't seat it right (probably) or variation in the wood. I think it'll clean up, I hit it with a couple of passes of the scraper and it looks a bit better.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c15c8cf14a.jpg

redir 01-31-2021 10:11 AM

I've built about 70 instruments now and every single one of them has many mistakes. If you candled the top and no light came through then you will be fine. If it concerns you then you can glue cross grain spruce diamonds along the center joint.

warfrat73 01-31-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H165 (Post 6620676)
As noted above, there are really no mistakes on a first build; there's just education.

My first guitar is about fifty clicks away from perfection, but I still play it and it works just fine.

I really am trying not to take myself too seriously (thus the invitation to laugh at me/with me) and ultimately just learning, and hoping to come out the other side with something reasonably playable and decent sounding that doesn't implode.

warfrat73 01-31-2021 04:26 PM

Hemming and hawing a bit. Was planning on just building a Dread, since I already had plans for it (and a spare case). But now I'm thinking I might want to build a 000 or 00 12 fret.

Since it's just an exercise I'm not sure how much it matters, I'm not expecting it to end up being a guitar that competes with the ones that I own. That said, I don't know how much I really need another dread, maybe I should make a 00 or 000 12 fret... especially since I went with the Engelmann top that was too well priced to pass up.

phavriluk 01-31-2021 06:34 PM

A thought

My first scratchbuilt guitar was a revelation. OP's will be one, too. OP does not have to mimic (and God forbid, increase) storebought guitar bracing. He can thin braces easily. He can build carefully. And he can bolt on his neck. Doing a dovetail is torture itself and completely unnecessary. Bourgeois, Collings and Goodall don't seem to be hurt by bolting on their necks in various ways.

Enjoy the trip.

charles Tauber 01-31-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warfrat73 (Post 6621141)
Since it's just an exercise I'm not sure how much it matters, I'm not expecting it to end up being a guitar that competes with the ones that I own. That said, I don't know how much I really need another dread, maybe I should make a 00 or 000 12 fret...

Don't aim for failure: aim for success. That, alone, can alter the outcome.

If you follow well-established practices, chances are very good that your first instrument will indeed rival many commercially made ones - even some expensive ones. Aim there and your chances of getting there are improved.

There is so much time and effort that goes into making a guitar, I'd suggest you make what you want to have. Making something you already have, and can buy more of, largely defeats the point of making one oneself. Of course, within the technical limits appropriate of a first attempt.

redir 01-31-2021 08:07 PM

As I type this, across the room from me on a stand, is the first guitar I built in 1992 right out of Irving Sloan's Steel String Guitar book and while it looks like hell it actually sounds quite good and it still plays good to after a neck reset some years ago (because I built it in a basement without RH control). I STILL play this guitar regularly.

Point being if you follow the recipe you can at least make a loaf of bread that tastes good.

In the end you will have a guitar you built and that's something to take pride in. Many years will go by and the guitar will become an old friend.

srick 02-01-2021 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redir (Post 6621370)
Point being if you follow the recipe you can at least make a loaf of bread that tastes good..

You make a wonderful point!

Skarsaune 02-01-2021 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charles Tauber (Post 6621310)
Don't aim for failure: aim for success. That, alone, can alter the outcome.

+1.

Do your best. You’ll be happier with the results.

There’s too much time involved in building a guitar to give it a half-hearted effort.