The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Shocker... ANOTHER Cordoba in da haus... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559145)

Red_Label 09-28-2019 10:39 PM

Shocker... ANOTHER Cordoba in da haus...

Stopped into Music Villa today before heading to see my beloved Montana State Bobcats play in the cold rain/snow (we rallied after starting down 21-0 in the first half... scored 35 unanswered points to win 49-31).

They (MV) had two C5-CET Limiteds (spalted maple). Normally, I don't even pick up the 5 series guitars. I haven't bought anything below the 10 series in full size Cordoba guitars in years. But I was looking at them and both were STUNNING instruments. I have a spalted maple Mini I that's a stunner. So I figured "why not give these C5s a try?" and I did so. They both played and sounded great acoustically. So I plugged them into a Loudbox Mini and was equally impressed. I usually much prefer the higher-end Fishman electronics in the Luthier and Espana series Cordobas. But I gotta say, the pickup in the C5 sounds GREAT! These guitars have the nice, snappy tone that I prefer. Probably the thin maple body. I haven't had a thin bodied flamenco since I sold my FCWE and pair of 55FCEs several years ago. The body on these C5-CETs is very thin and comfortable to play! But the tone and volume isn't lacking at all. I'll have to do my usual sanding of the saddle to get the action lower where I prefer it, as well as the minor fret edge work that I often have to do with sub-$500 Cordobas. But the fact that my GK Pro negra may get some serious competition should tell you how highly I think of this much lower-end guitar! I'm stoked! This makes my 16th or 17th Cordoba instrument. I've lost track, but I know it's at least 16.

Shout out to Paul, Blaze, and the rest of the guys at Music Villa. Always a pleasure to do business with them. I always feel treated like a king there... and I'm small potatoes. They sell $5K, $10K, even $100K instruments there. I'm nothing in the overall scheme of things, and I live 140 miles away... so it's not like I'm in there weekly. But you wouldn't know it by the personal attention they give me. Paul has given me some screamin deals over the years. I can't say enough good things about those guys.

Note to (Cordoba CEO) Tim Miklaucic (a great guy, whom I've met, and chatted with... at Music Villa)... I'd LOVE a spalted maple Mini II to go with my new spalted C5 and my spalted Mini I! Just a wish list. I dig the mahogany and ebony Mini IIs that I already have, but I feel like I'm missing something in my collection!

P.S. The other C5-CET looks, plays, and sounds as great as this one does! So if you're in the market for a KILLER sub-$500 nylon... give them a call!!!

Sorry for the poorly lighted hotel room pics...

https://i.imgur.com/skYslyr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KF9VrYB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gumkxHv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cgEIyD6.jpg

Bax Burgess 09-29-2019 07:33 AM

It's not often that I see a post sent directly from Heaven, but there it is. Thumbs up, RL.

ceciltguitar 09-29-2019 10:10 AM

Thank you for posting your findings, and congratulations on your new acquisition! Looks like a beautiful guitar! Your deep experience with Cordobas lends much stature to your impressions.

I am still enjoying playing the GK Pro that I bought from you. (I put a slice of a credit card beneath the bridge because your preferred bridge height was way too low for me ;) )

If you're up to it, it would be great to hear your comments comparing both the acoustic and plugged in sounds of your C5-CET with your GK Pro Negra.

I bought a B stock GK Pro Negra last month that I LOVED the sound of, but I had to return it because it arrived damaged - it had been improperly packaged and there were big cracks on both sides of the end pin 1/4 jack on the bottom of the guitar. The B stock blemish was imperceptible. I really wanted to keep the guitar but would not due to the crack.

Maybe I will buy a C5-CET spalted maple instead of a GK Pro Negra. From the Cordoba web site, it appears that the C5-CET has the same neck as the GK Pro. Is that so? (I love the GK Pro neck profile!) I bought a Spruce top Maple body 2011 Solista cutaway a few years ago that I really liked the sound of. I did not care for the thicker neck of the Solista. I reluctantly sold it to a friend.

The Old Anglo 09-29-2019 12:20 PM

Congrats Johonny!!!.

Red_Label 09-30-2019 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceciltguitar (Post 6174215)
Thank you for posting your findings, and congratulations on your new acquisition! Looks like a beautiful guitar! Your deep experience with Cordobas lends much stature to your impressions.

I am still enjoying playing the GK Pro that I bought from you. (I put a slice of a credit card beneath the bridge because your preferred bridge height was way too low for me ;) )

If you're up to it, it would be great to hear your comments comparing both the acoustic and plugged in sounds of your C5-CET with your GK Pro Negra.

I bought a B stock GK Pro Negra last month that I LOVED the sound of, but I had to return it because it arrived damaged - it had been improperly packaged and there were big cracks on both sides of the end pin 1/4 jack on the bottom of the guitar. The B stock blemish was imperceptible. I really wanted to keep the guitar but would not due to the crack.

Maybe I will buy a C5-CET spalted maple instead of a GK Pro Negra. From the Cordoba web site, it appears that the C5-CET has the same neck as the GK Pro. Is that so? (I love the GK Pro neck profile!) I bought a Spruce top Maple body 2011 Solista cutaway a few years ago that I really liked the sound of. I did not care for the thicker neck of the Solista. I reluctantly sold it to a friend.

Glad you're enjoying the GK Pro blanca! Ha ha... yeah, I tend to shave the saddles as low as I can get 'em. Sometimes I go a bit overboard. I have played a LOT of 80s guitar shred music (Yngwie Malmsteen, Dream Theater, Uli Roth, Holdsworth, Satriani, etc) on electric... as well as fast flat-picking on steel steel string acoustic over the years. So I like the action on my guitars low most of the time. Plus, when I play nuevo flamenco... I want my tone bright, snappy, and sizzly. I understand why others prefer their action higher though.

The neck on the new C5-CET seems to be about the same size as my GK Pro negra. Which is more comfortable than than the chunkier necks on theEspana series guitars I had.

The C5 seems quite a bit lighter in weight than my Espana thinbodies. What a joy to play. I need to put a set of new Luthier Popular 20 flamenco strings on the new guitar, so I can conmpare apples to apples.

I know that it's the brand new honeymoon guitar, but I think I already like this guitar more than the Spanish-made Espana 55FCEs and FCWE. I'm blown away by the sub--$500 guitar. It's awesome. I'm looking forward to gigging it in earlier November. Lowering the saddle, gently sanding the sharp fret edges, rubbing in some lemon oil on the fret board and bridge
and adding an iPad screen protector as a make-do golpeador, tidied it up to the fit &finish of a Luthier or Espana series.

ceciltguitar 09-30-2019 03:54 PM

John, Every player needs to have their guitars set up as best as possible for their individual playing style and technique. That's great if you can get the action that low and not get string buzz.

With the musical background that you described, are you familiar with Ben Woods' "Flametal" fusion of heavy metal tunes played using flamenco guitar and flamenco techniques? He has a lot youtube videos, as well as at least one book of his arrangements, and also has a signature guitar made by Ortega guitars.

Red_Label 10-01-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceciltguitar (Post 6175218)
John, Every player needs to have their guitars set up as best as possible for their individual playing style and technique. That's great if you can get the action that low and not get string buzz.

With the musical background that you described, are you familiar with Ben Woods' "Flametal" fusion of heavy metal tunes played using flamenco guitar and flamenco techniques? He has a lot youtube videos, as well as at least one book of his arrangements, and also has a signature guitar made by Ortega guitars.

Oh yeah, I've been watching Ben's stuff for years. Love it! In fact, I met Ben when he and Tim from Cordoba came to Music Villa for a performance and workshop year and a half ago. The wife and I drove over just to see Ben. I started watching his videos because of his metal covers (I especislly like his version of Megadeath's "Holy Wars" and a bunch of his Iron Maiden stuff), but his flamenco stuff has become quite good and is getting quite authentic.

LadysSolo 10-01-2019 09:14 AM

Wow! That is one good-looking guitar! Enjoy!

Red_Label 10-04-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadysSolo (Post 6175736)
Wow! That is one good-looking guitar! Enjoy!

Thank you! It's even prettier now. I put two coats of lemon oil on the fretboard after I got it home... while I was working on lowering the action and taking care of the couple of fret ends. The fretboard is darker. I prefer dark fretboards and would just as soon have ebony for all of my fretboards.

Bunny64 10-05-2019 10:40 AM

Ladysolo has beaten me to it. Gorgeous instrument. I just bought my first Cordoba here in the UK. A C5 CE CED. Very pleased with it. I intend to learn some classical and Spanish pieces on it and also use it as a crossover guitar as a change from my steel string. It's also great for singing ballads with. I have a feeling it may not be my last Cordoba. Happy Honeymoon and long may it last!

DownUpDave 10-05-2019 11:37 AM

Congratulations, that splayed maple is gorgeous, really interesting figure and colour.

I know you have had something like 15-16 Cordobas. I am no where near that but have had 3, still own the C10 crossover and the Cadete. If anyone is looking for a smaller bodied=3/4 size, short scale=24” the Cadette is a winner. Can’t believe how good it sounds and plays for a small reasonably priced instrument.

Enjoy that new Córdoba, she is a looker alright and apparently sounds as good as it looks

Red_Label 10-05-2019 06:24 PM

Thanks all. She's a winner, especially for the price. Considering what I paid for the Espana thinbodies, it's an unbelievable value. I put a set of the higher end tuners on her that I had pulled off the three Luthier series Cordobas and replaced with Schaller Grand tuners. I'm all done with upgrades. It's perfect as is.

OldGuitarGuy 10-06-2019 12:35 PM

Love that shop. I visited the Music Villa while in Bozeman for my son's graduation from Montana State a few years ago. I had no intention of purchasing yet another guitar but was treated like Ted Turner himself. Don't remember the name of the guy who helped me, but he pulled a Collins off the wall, and it was love at first strum. I was tempted but refrained. Thought about it most of the flight back home to Pennsyltucky.

dosland 10-06-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red_Label (Post 6179691)
... I'm all done with upgrades. It's perfect as is.

Yeah, until you start thinking about where to put those sound ports... ;)

Red_Label 10-06-2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldGuitarGuy (Post 6180143)
Love that shop. I visited the Music Villa while in Bozeman for my son's graduation from Montana State a few years ago. I had no intention of purchasing yet another guitar but was treated like Ted Turner himself. Don't remember the name of the guy who helped me, but he pulled a Collins off the wall, and it was love at first strum. I was tempted but refrained. Thought about it most of the flight back home to Pennsyltucky.

That's great that your son graduated MSU. I'm an alumn as well. Classical guitar major in the mid-1980s. The wife and I bleed blue and gold (NOT U of M Griz maroon... YUCK!!!) We go to a lot of Bobcats games, so I get to the Villa lots. Also go up there in the off-season a lot. I bought Eastman mando and octave mando from MV last Spring on seperate trips.