The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New 'Thin-Core' GHS Phosphor Bronze Strings (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550482)

Brucebubs 06-25-2019 04:01 PM

New 'Thin-Core' GHS Phosphor Bronze Strings

Noticed Strings By Mail have a 10% off special price running on these new GHS 'Thin-Core' Phosphor Bronze strings at the moment.

An alternative to painful guitar playing... GHS Thin Core Acoustic! GHS Thin Core allows you to have big sound with a flexible feel. Achieve a thicker, beefier acoustic phosphor bronze tone with strings that are easy to play. The thin core makes bending and vibrato effortless. This is a great string for playing fast, extended playing hours without hand stress and having a full sound. All while saving 10%!

Haven't tried them.
4 different gauge sets;

Ultra Light - 10-41
Extra Light - 11-46
Lights - 12-52
Medium - 13-56

https://i.imgur.com/ClxrPM2l.jpg

GHS Acoustic Guitar Strings

GHS TCB-L Thin Core Phosphor Bronze Acoustic, Light 12-52

GHS Thin Core Phosphor Bronze acoustic guitar strings combine low tension, superior playability with balanced tone! Wound over a round core, these strings bring a warm tone to your guitar, with plenty of clarity and definition. The low tension (due to the smaller core diameter) is a joy under the fingers, and perfect for those guitars where tension can be a concern.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-tc...-52-21585.html

rokdog49 06-25-2019 04:19 PM

Oh Oh...
Another string to test.
Thanks man.:(

AcousticDreams 06-25-2019 05:13 PM

Lower tension strings have not worked for me tonally.
However-combining them on Round cores? I will have to try them. Interesting combination. Got my finger hovering on the order button!

stringjunky 06-25-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars (Post 6095718)
Lower tension strings have not worked for me tonally.
However-combining them on Round cores? I will have to try them. Interesting combination. Got my finger hovering on the order button!

is 'lower tension' the correct term when in fact it's that they deflect more easily. The tension determines the pitch, doesn't it, so the tension/pull on all 12-52's is about the same?

jpd 06-25-2019 05:38 PM

GHS version of Martin "Flex Core"?

Brucebubs 06-25-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd (Post 6095730)
GHS version of Martin "Flex Core"?

I don't know if Martin Flexible Core are round core like these.

They might be more like a thinner core version of DR Sunbeams?

jemartin 06-25-2019 06:59 PM

Sounds like a good string set to try on a 12 string Bruce. I would try them out if... and when... they are offered!

Brucebubs 06-25-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jemartin (Post 6095781)
Sounds like a good string set to try on a 12 string Bruce. I would try them out if... and when... they are offered!

Funny you should say that Joe - I recently emailed DR strings to let then know how much I was liking their Sunbeams and I mentioned at the time that I'd be interested to try a 12-string set of Sunbeams .... if they made them!

I do have a 12-string set of Martin Flexible Cores that I haven't tried.
MFX700
Interesting gauge - .010 - .054

That's a much heavier bottom end than most 12-string sets.

jemartin 06-25-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 6095795)
Funny you should say that Joe - I recently emailed DR strings to let then know how much I was liking their Sunbeams and I mentioned at the time that I'd be interested to try a 12-string set of Sunbeams .... if they made them!

I do have a 12-string set of Martin Flexible Cores that I haven't tried.
MFX700
Interesting gauge - .010 - .054

That's a much heavier bottom end than most 12-string sets.

Hopefully they will make and sell them! I actually will swap out any 12 string set with the heavier 54 rather than the thinner gauge. They seem to beef up the E octave string... and leave the primary bass E a little on the weak side for my likes anyway (the string tension for a 54 gauge matches closer to the tension of the other bass strings... so to balance it out I use the heavier gauge .054). So, I buy a few individual strings to correct that... bumping down the octave and bumping up primary E string...(also swapping the A octave for an .018 wound, instead of plain steel). It all makes for some powerful 12 string bass sound with more growl.... Tuned down of course!

TBman 06-25-2019 09:24 PM

I'm on the fence about these. They might be good for my Larrivee. Not sure if I'd put them on a dread or my Avalon.

brandall10 06-26-2019 07:05 AM

I found a page showing the tensions of these sets and they were rather odd (ie. relatively lower in the middle strings). Just fair warning.

Paddy1951 06-26-2019 07:30 AM

I have not tried these yet. I like GHS strings. I think these are round core.
I have used DR Sunbeams and Throbak round core strings. I like them. The Throbaks especially. Warmer, a bit easier to play.

I will have to order some of these.

jaymarsch 06-26-2019 07:56 AM

Thanks for the tip on these new strings. I find the regular GHS strings to be pretty flexible and easy to play so I am not sure I would need the extra flex but am curious how they compare tone wise. I'll probably check them out on a couple of my guitars. I'll look forward to hearing reviews from others who try them.

Best,
Jayne

zovanou 09-04-2019 01:00 PM

New 'Thin-Core' GHS Phosphor Bronze Strings

have these on a gs mini barely perceptable decrease in volume from the elixirs far more comfortable playability, worth a try i will continue to use these

rmgjsps 09-04-2019 07:31 PM

I currently have the GHS Thin cores on 2 guitars: 11's on the RK R0 T16, and 10's on the RK R0S 06. Very much like DR Sunbeams which I have also used on the T-16. The two types are very similar in sound (to my old ears) with the proviso that the thin core 11's sound to me like the Sunbeam 12's which I previously had on the T-16.

I use lower tension strings because I have a touch of neuropathy in my hands and, since I only play in my own living room, I don't worry about projection as much as tone. I also like the Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings and am still working out which strings I like on which guitar. As always the normal disclaimers apply since sound and feel are pretty much subjective judgements.