The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Tool for slowdown and save loop youtube (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604256)

GerardSikma 01-18-2021 05:54 AM

Tool for slowdown and save loop youtube

Hi, first post here. I used youloop.io for practising YouTube lessons. Suddenly it is off line. Does anybody have a good alternative? Features were: saving small loops, slowdown and import YouTube videos. Thanks in advance for any help!

hubcapsc 01-18-2021 06:18 AM

On Linux I use youtube-dl to download, and VCL media player
to play at different speeds without changing key... it will also
allow for set-points to loop between any two points you specify...

-Mike

TBman 01-18-2021 08:20 AM

I use the 4k Video downloader to get youtube videos and Transcribe! to play back, slow down, loop, etc. After getting Transcribe! you have to download Gstream to view videos in it.

Dru Edwards 01-18-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcapsc (Post 6607628)
On Linux I use youtube-dl to download, and VCL media player
to play at different speeds without changing key... it will also
allow for set-points to loop between any two points you specify...

-Mike

VLC Player is great. I've streamed YouTube before on it but it's been a couple of years. I just tried a couple of different videos now and I was unable to, I get an error. Not sure why.

NormanKliman 01-18-2021 11:32 AM

Another vote for VLC. Actually, I'd forgotten that it has a loop function until I read this thread. Dru, I've been getting an error message, too, for the last year or so, but I just click "no" and it still opens most files. Ah, wait. You're talking about streaming and I'm talking about opening saved files.

Other than that, there should be all kinds of programs (maybe not free) that will let you study videos. I've found it particularly useful to be able to move frame by frame through certain passages to look for certain details.

GerardSikma 01-19-2021 03:30 PM

Thanks all for the ideas. I looked a bit further and found https://www.dkthehuman.com/slowtube/
You can paste a YouTube address and slow down, loop sections. You cannot save them though. But looks ok to me for now, and it's free!

Rudy4 01-19-2021 03:35 PM

If you just want to practice along to Youtube videos at reduced speed it's even easier to click on the settings wheel and slow the speed down 25 or 50% without changing pitch.

No need to use any additional software.

GerardSikma 01-20-2021 12:22 PM

Yes, I know that feature of course. But in YouTube you cannot loop a section, with slowtube you can. Furthermore you can choose any speed by a slide....I personaly like that to practise a hard section.

Rudy4 01-20-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerardSikma (Post 6609728)
Yes, I know that feature of course. But in YouTube you cannot loop a section, with slowtube you can. Furthermore you can choose any speed by a slide....I personaly like that to practise a hard section.

You might be surprised by how many users don't know about that feature.

hubcapsc 01-20-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dru Edwards (Post 6607732)
VLC Player is great. I've streamed YouTube before on it but it's been a couple of years. I just tried a couple of different videos now and I was unable to, I get an error. Not sure why.

You have to keep it updated, and also all the libraries it needs...
I got errors with it and with youtube-dl. I just
google the errors and usually it's something like "add the xyz repo so
you can get the whatchamacallit frob". I ended up getting the git
repository for youtube-dl, keeping on the bleeding edge of that
fixes most problems...

-Mike

Dru Edwards 01-20-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcapsc (Post 6609942)
You have to keep it updated, and also all the libraries it needs...
I got errors with it and with youtube-dl. I just
google the errors and usually it's something like "add the xyz repo so
you can get the whatchamacallit frob". I ended up getting the git
repository for youtube-dl, keeping on the bleeding edge of that
fixes most problems...

-Mike

Thanks Mike, that must be it. I am intentionally keeping VLC on an older version because it allows me to open a pic/video and click 'pause' so that my laptop will never automatically lock after inactivity. On the newer versions I tried that no longer worked and my laptop automatically locks after 15 minutes of inactivity.

hubcapsc 01-20-2021 04:34 PM

my laptop automatically locks after 15 minutes of inactivity.

There's some control panel thing that controls that. I use Fedora
with Gnome, the stuff that controls that is under "power" in
"settings"...

-Mike

lar 09-07-2021 09:23 PM

Old thread, but as another option I also just found this AB Looper

https://agrahn.gitlab.io/ABLoopPlayer/

My VLC Media Player has been giving me a lot of problems, so I deleted it, and am using this.