The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Emerald guitar neck shapes? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603073)

DebbieE 01-05-2021 01:14 PM

Emerald guitar neck shapes?

What is the Artisan Emerald X20's neck shaped like? Compared to a martin? Is it a fat neck, thin neck, medium neck, C shaped, V shaped? I'm considering ordering a simple Artisan X-20 in blue with no electronics. I had had a Rainsong guitar before with the N2 neck and it was a bit too thick for me. I'm very comfortable with the new Martin necks and the performance artist taper.

thanks,

Debbie

Captain Jim 01-05-2021 01:42 PM

Hi Debbie, welcome to the Carbon Fiber sub-forum. I have 3 Emeralds, three different sizes/models, and while the neck is "familiar" between those sizes, they aren't the same profile. I had a RS Shorty with the NS/N2 neck, and I found that to be uncomfortable for me. The X20 is a much better feel to my hand. I would call it similar to the Taylor profile, but not exactly the same. Never found a Martin that I could bond with, but I find the X20 neck far more comfortable for my hands than the low oval or modified V Martin necks.

Good luck with the process. The Emeralds "spoiled me" for more typical acoustics, with the ergonomic comfort and crisp/rich tone.

Earl49 01-05-2021 02:02 PM

^^ What Jim said. Emerald necks are like a slightly flattened Taylor "C" profile. If you are OK with Taylor necks, you'll likely be fine with Emerald. I cannot speak to modern Martin neck profiles - I gave up on Martin years ago. We have two X7 V2, an X30, a stock X20, custom X20-12, and a new custom X20 (short 24.6" scale, 2020 improvements). My new X20 is currently on loan to a buddy who wanted to try it on an extended basis. I carefully wiped it down with rubbing alcohol and put it in its case, then let it sit untouched for 36 hours before delivering it to him. We are both in high-risk age groups. The finish is tough enough to handle that without worry.

Seeing that you are in Chandler, you might be able to sweet talk a visit with Mr. Kramster in Phoenix. The weather is nice enough to meet outdoors down there in the desert. I happen to know that he can be bribed with dinner (or least that worked in the "before times"). ;)

new2guitar_eh 01-06-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl49 (Post 6596400)
Seeing that you are in Chandler, you might be able to sweet talk a visit with Mr. Kramster in Phoenix. The weather is nice enough to meet outdoors down there in the desert. I happen to know that he can be bribed with dinner (or least that worked in the "before times"). ;)

But if you go see Kramster, you'll "only" have a dozen or more CF guitar to see...:D

martinngibson 01-08-2021 09:53 PM

Hi Debbie, you really need to try one if possible. The flatter profile similar to a Taylor profile was ok for me, however if you wrap your thumb a lot to fret the low E string then you might not like it particularly from the 5th fret on toward the body as it is wide imo. It is approximately 2-1/4” wide at the 12th fret which is wider than any of my Martins. I have several Martins and to me, their neck is much more comfortable IF you do the thumb fret thing and get up in the higher fret areas. If not, and just do bar chords or flatpick a lot, I don’t think there will be an issue at all. The fingerboard and neck are very slick and you can move around very quickly. Lotsa luck in your quest.

sam.spoons 01-09-2021 06:00 AM

My X7 has a slightly more 'D' section than I prefer, I come from an electric guitar background, my favourite necks are my '75 Les Paul and Korean Squire Strat necks, both of which are a slim 'C' shape, the X7 has a little more meat on the shoulders. FWIW I don't like the baseball bat necks 'vintage' Fenders and some old Les Pauls had, the X7 suits me better than they would.

Earl49 01-09-2021 10:34 AM

I thumb-over all the time on my Emeralds, Rainsong, Blackbird, Taylors, Seagull, etc, etc.

martinngibson 01-09-2021 10:53 AM

It’s nice that you can but I wasn’t blessed with enough hand size to do it on the Emerald. It’s just too wide but if I sell it then I’ll order a custom one with a neck more to my liking.

steelvibe 01-09-2021 01:33 PM

I'm not a thumb over kind of player, but when I did attempt them on the Shorty (NS neck) it was not a natural, comfortable feel.

Necks do make a difference for me, probably the biggest deciding factor on whether a guitar sticks around.

outwestbound 01-10-2021 07:54 AM

necks that I measured

Here are some measurements that I collected from the guitars around the house. The Emerald is a 2019 model.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8LUqCTo49tsCB4kH7

sam.spoons 01-10-2021 08:38 AM

I guess the profiles were taken with a profile copier device? If so they (#1 2001 Strat and #4 X7) are exactly how I perceive the differences between my Squire Strat neck and my 2014 X7.

:up::up::up:

outwestbound 01-10-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam.spoons (Post 6600552)
I guess the profiles were taken with a profile copier device? If so they (#1 2001 Strat and #4 X7) are exactly how I perceive the differences between my Squire Strat neck and my 2014 X7.

:up::up::up:

Yes. I got one of these for something else and realized I could use it on guitar necks.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

martinngibson 01-10-2021 05:55 PM

Outwestbound,,,, excellent !!!

steelvibe 01-10-2021 06:01 PM

Emerald guitar neck shapes?

That is a great idea for measuring neck profiles, and while nothing really tells a player as much as holding a neck in their hand it gives a pretty good idea. I especially appreciate the trace onto paper because that gives a way better representation of what a neck is like than just measurements and figures.

Thanks!

KarenB 01-11-2021 08:54 AM

The X10 has a 1 11/16 inch nut, compound radius. And from Emerald's website: " The effortless neck of an electric...a slim 24-fret neck." I have thought that in the future, of getting a short scale X10 neck on an X7 body.