The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   "Room" sound... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603316)

Rudy4 01-08-2021 09:09 AM

"Room" sound...

I'm not recommending this as an ultimate solution to "room sound", but it IS a great way to demonstrate exactly what a reflective room sounds like and what it sounds like when you take corrective measures!

MikeBmusic 01-08-2021 09:48 AM

;) Yeah, I recorded a lot of the vocals for my first album similarly, with a Shure SM57 and a duvet hung around me. Sure got hot and sweaty and stuffy after 5 minutes. Super 'boxy' sound as a result.
But a good demonstration on why real acoustic treatment is needed.

NormanKliman 01-08-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBmusic (Post 6598800)
...Sure got hot and sweaty and stuffy after 5 minutes...

Ha-ha, me too. I haven’t recorded an album like you, but it was one the first experiments I tried after buying a digital recorder.

BTW, for US members, "duvet" is what the rest of the word calls a comforter.

KevWind 01-08-2021 10:38 AM

Humm as is often the problem with the wacky world internet and youtube
The presenter may or may not really or completely know what they are expounding on .
Basically good info until 25 seconds in where he states "Ideally" you put acoustic "Foam" on the walls, which is IMO the least "ideal" of dedicated acoustic treatment
BTW while reducing the echo I don't know that sounds any better with blanket just different .

Rudy4 01-08-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6598858)
Humm as is often the problem with the wacky world internet and youtube
The presenter may or may not really or completely know what they are expounding on .
Basically good info until 25 seconds in where he states "Ideally" you put acoustic "Foam" on the walls, which is IMO the least "ideal" of dedicated acoustic treatment
BTW while reducing the echo I don't know that sounds any better with blanket just different .

Totally agree, but it simply demonstrates what "room sound" is and is a good example of that.

This is for entertainment value only, and as such is better than your average "cat playing the keyboard" fare. ;)

I do think it's good fodder for satire, and I can't wait for the first singer-songwriter video of a full performance with the player draped by quilt or moving pad.

At least that would be a good way of removing the obstacle for those of us who as Reese Witherspoon suggested in Legally Blonde, are considered "unfortunate looking". ;)

FrankHudson 01-08-2021 11:24 AM

Yes, it was a extreme example of room sound, which the presenter tells us is his point. Point taken.

I've never heard that level of echo in my "Studio B" (small bedroom used as home office). Not even close. As a person not knowledgeable in acoustic space design and mitigation I'm under the vague impression that particular problem is more easily solved than other acoustic issues. Given that his mic was likely carotid, I wonder if he just hung the blanket/duvet over a shower curtain rod behind him if he'd get as good or better results and a better environment to produce actual vocals. And then for test C after that test B, what if he used one of the small arched semi circular mic stand mounted screens behind the mic and worked closer, but just outside the proximity effect zone.

I too thought the "after blanket" mic sound wasn't anything I'd want to use, unless I was aiming for "this is my first podcast" and my aims were based on what I thought FM DJs sounded like in my youth. Maybe just a lot of proximity effect though we obvously couldn't see through the blanket.

Rudy4 01-08-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 6598898)
Yes, it was a extreme example of room sound, which the presenter tells us is his point. Point taken.

I've never heard that level of echo in my "Studio B" (small bedroom used as home office). Not even close. As a person not knowledgeable in acoustic space design and mitigation I'm under the vague impression that particular problem is more easily solved than other acoustic issues. Given that his mic was likely carotid, I wonder if he just hung the blanket/duvet over a shower curtain rod behind him if he'd get as good or better results and a better environment to produce actual vocals. And then for test C after that test B, what if he used one of the small arched semi circular mic stand mounted screens behind the mic and worked closer, but just outside the proximity effect zone.

I too thought the "after blanket" mic sound wasn't anything I'd want to use, unless I was aiming for "this is my first podcast" and my aims were based on what I thought FM DJs sounded like in my youth. Maybe just a lot of proximity effect though we obvously couldn't see through the blanket.

He was using a small bathroom as a particularly egregious example.

As far as the proximity effect, he couldn't see how close he was under there, either! ;)

Brent Hahn 01-08-2021 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankHudson (Post 6598898)

I think you're all being extraordinarily kind.

ljguitar 01-09-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 6598762)
I'm not recommending this as an ultimate solution to "room sound", but it IS a great way to demonstrate exactly what a reflective room sounds like and what it sounds like when you take corrective measures!

Hi Rudy

I've heard that Bob Rowe (Dirty Jobs) recorded many of his voice-overs for the Discovery Channel when on the road with an SM-58, sitting in the middle of his hotel bed with the bead spread pulled up over his head.

Improvisation is an art…