The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pickup similar to K&K- but different not popular brand? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537318)

vindibona1 02-07-2019 09:17 PM

Pickup similar to K&K- but different not popular brand?

A while back a few folks posted about a pickup system that is similar to K&K but isn't a household name and isn't available in US retail stores (as far as I can tell). Can someone help me figure out which brand. As I recall, it had three or four sensors that get glued on the underneath side of the bridge.

Anyone have any idea what they might be? TIA

jjrpilot 02-07-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindibona1 (Post 5973218)
A while back a few folks posted about a pickup system that is similar to K&K but isn't a household name and isn't available in US retail stores (as far as I can tell). Can someone help me figure out which brand. As I recall, it had three or four sensors that get glued on the underneath side of the bridge.

Anyone have any idea what they might be? TIA

I bet you’re thinking of the JJB pickup. Passive like the KK Pure Mini ...looks just like the KK. 3 little sensors that are glued to the bottom of the bridge.

jseth 02-07-2019 09:32 PM

Either JJB, Trance Audio Amulet or Dazzo... tose are the names that spring to mind immediately.

Beakybird 02-07-2019 09:39 PM

What's the advantage of the other brand? Cheaper? Better?

sabatini 02-07-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 5973234)
What's the advantage of the other brand? Cheaper? Better?

JJB is about half the price of the K&K. Some people have installed them and could discern no difference in quality. Your milage may vary.

Rudy4 02-07-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabatini (Post 5973236)
JJB is about half the price of the K&K. Some people have installed them and could discern no difference in quality. Your milage may vary.

The JJBs used to ship with a really cheap import jack. I don't know if they still do or not.

stormin1155 02-07-2019 10:39 PM

I've installed both K&K and JJB in customer's guitars. I can't tell the difference, so I always recommend JJB. Jesse, the owner is a great guy and has made up special application pickups for me.

Chipotle 02-07-2019 10:45 PM

JME Ultra Tonic?

kcnbys 02-07-2019 11:21 PM

The JJB Prestige 330 from JJB Electronics is the pickup to which you're referring. I use both it, and the K&K, and cannot tell a qualitative difference. Some believe the K&K has a stronger output level. Both are fantastic, but as has been mentioned, the JJB costs nearly half the retail price of the K&K. The small version of the JJB 330 (there are two sizes) is the most similar to the K&K, but the piezo discs are slightly bigger. They both, however install the same way, and the same method of installation can be used.

AeroUSA 02-07-2019 11:27 PM

Or the Ultra Tonic. A much better K&K imo!

musicman1951 02-08-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 5973245)
The JJBs used to ship with a really cheap import jack. I don't know if they still do or not.

I don't know. To save about the price of a good pick? Doesn't sound like a great idea. Maybe in a guitar that only cost a few hundred.

But that's just me. I don't have a bunch of guitars and $50 doesn't change my lifestyle any.

Monsoon1 02-08-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipotle (Post 5973269)

James May? So this is a hemi pickup and you play your guitar in the bed, right?

rokdog49 02-08-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman1951 (Post 5973448)
I don't know. To save about the price of a good pick? Doesn't sound like a great idea. Maybe in a guitar that only cost a few hundred.

But that's just me. I don't have a bunch of guitars and $50 doesn't change my lifestyle any.

50 bucks for a good pick?
Apparently we have different views on picks. :)
Some folks aren't as fortunate and 50 bucks is 50 bucks.

The JJB jack is just fine, no issues with mine.

uriah1 02-08-2019 10:00 AM

I think a lot of mfg, at least ones I have tried, still don't get that high e with enough projection yet.

ljguitar 02-08-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uriah1 (Post 5973539)
I think a lot of mfg, at least ones I have tried, still don't get that high e with enough projection yet.

Hi uriah

I'd tend to agree. I'm thinking the Bridge Plate transducers tend to be a bit mellow in the upper treble range, whereas under saddle pickups tend to be too pronounced in that range.

This is why many serious players end up experimenting with dual source rigs (with a pickup and mic).

That said, when acting as a sound tech, I prefer the Soundboard Transducers to the Undersaddle every time…even when lending them preamps to improve adjustability.

The tone is so much more pleasing to the ears.