The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   offshoot of 2am friends, is it harder.. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500094)

marty bradbury 02-13-2018 02:33 PM

offshoot of 2am friends, is it harder..

Do you find it harder to make friends? I'm 61 and will say for me it is harder to make friends now than it was when I was younger. I have no age discrepancy when it comes to friends. I have friends in early 20's and up, but still find it harder now. You?

architype 02-13-2018 05:12 PM

It is hard enough to be a good friend to the friends I have. I don't want anymore friends. I don't have time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Brucebubs 02-13-2018 05:31 PM

I'm 61 too Marty - buy some jumbo guitars and I'll be your friend. :)

If I ring you at 6.00 pm here that would make it 2.00 am in USA .. is that OK?

RustNeverSleeps 02-13-2018 07:15 PM

Yep. I'm still in my 20s, but I can see the way things are heading :D

Still have friends from secondary school, but barely see them. (Whatsapp is good for keeping in touch.) I have friends from university that I see once every few months or so.

In all likelihood, any new friends from here on will be:

- From work
- Friends of my girlfriend
- Parents of the friends of any children I have

That said, I made a new friend not so long ago. Saw his acoustic gigbag on his back when we were queuing to board a plane and it went from there! We've had a couple of jams since, cool guy.

I'd like to meet more people through music/guitar-playing. I've already met a few people from this forum in real life.

Acousticado 02-13-2018 07:26 PM

I’m almost 62. In 2012 my wife and I retired and bought a vacation home to spend winters at a 55+ community in SW Florida. While here, we volunteer at a national wildlife refuge and have been involved in community organizations. Not only have we been meeting many new people from various age groups, some have become very good friends.

So, no...despite that I’m a little on the shy side, I know that and try to move past it. As a result, I/we actually find it easier to make friends. Being retired, we have more time to invest in personal relationships. I suppose it all comes down to how much/often you put yourself in places where people are, how willing and able you are to start a conversation or be receptive to someone starting one with you, how open you are to getting to know others deeper than just a casual acquaintance, and recognizing when a closer relationship is brewing, is worth pursuing, and going with it in a natural way.

flaggerphil 02-13-2018 07:59 PM

I'm 67 and, while I have a fair number of friends, I don't have any really close friends. It could be because I'm a very private person and, when home after whatever activity, I really prefer time to myself. My wife is the same way, which is probably why we've been together for almost 33 years.

I can think of only twice in my life I've had what could be called best friends. Once was in jr high and most of high school. However, my family moved across country my senior year and after graduation I joined the Navy and spent most of the next decade overseas. We finally got together last summer after over 30 years and had a great time.

The only other time was when I lived in DC but before i met my wife. I met a guy at work from Utah and, despite our differences in background we really hit it off. He was only there temporarily and shortly after i regained custody of my kids he went back to Utah. Between my kids, meeting my soon to be wife, getting married, and setting up a home, he and I lost touch.

I have a number of friends from racing, motorcycling,and the local music scene, but no one who is close outside those activities.

marty bradbury 02-13-2018 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucebubs (Post 5638312)
I'm 61 too Marty - buy some jumbo guitars and I'll be your friend. :)

If I ring you at 6.00 pm here that would make it 2.00 am in USA .. is that OK?

Part one "yes"
Parry two "no" lol
Mate.

marty bradbury 02-13-2018 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustNeverSleeps (Post 5638433)
Yep. I'm still in my 20s, but I can see the way things are heading :D

Still have friends from secondary school, but barely see them. (Whatsapp is good for keeping in touch.) I have friends from university that I see once every few months or so.

In all likelihood, any new friends from here on will be:

- From work
- Friends of my girlfriend
- Parents of the friends of any children I have

That said, I made a new friend not so long ago. Saw his acoustic gigbag on his back when we were queuing to board a plane and it went from there! We've had a couple of jams since, cool guy.

I'd like to meet more people through music/guitar-playing. I've already met a few people from this forum in real life.

YesI think it would be easier to meet people through music, but when I get in a group for a song circle my fingers tend to freeze, or my mind 😉

jdmulli 02-13-2018 09:09 PM

I saw a picture of my father in the early 70's where he was wearing a shirt that read "the more people I meet, the more I like my dog." As I age, I understand the sentiment more and more.

mr. beaumont 02-13-2018 09:21 PM

Kind of...I'm hesitant to make friends...I have 4 close friends and I don't even get to see them often...why would I want more?

marty bradbury 02-13-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmulli (Post 5638571)
I saw a picture of my father in the early 70's where he was wearing a shirt that read "the more people I meet, the more I like my dog." As I age, I understand the sentiment more and more.

Too funny.

Scootch 02-13-2018 09:40 PM

I’ve one good as a brother, maybe better, friend.

Other friends are activity related. Some are pretty good

I will say, if you want to make some friends, you got to DO something. Join something. A jam group, a club, church groups, Meetup.com, etc.

They will never find you if you’re just sitting around the house.

marty bradbury 02-13-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 5638580)
Kind of...I'm hesitant to make friends...I have 4 close friends and I don't even get to see them often...why would I want more?

I have 2 , I will take the ones u dont want.

mr. beaumont 02-13-2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty bradbury (Post 5638609)
I have 2 , I will take the ones u dont want.

Deal. Trade for young hotshot guitar players too dumb to know they're giving a lesson while we "jam." Know any?

cotten 02-13-2018 10:16 PM

I see friends as a series of concentric circles. I have lots of friends in the outer circles, and they are real friends. They are just not in the inner circles. In that innermost circle, there is only my wife, son and daughter-in-law, and our two granddaughters. I don't think this is strange. On the contrary, I am blessed!

cotten