The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Very strange Reverb messaging - be careful (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683718)

fitness1 03-25-2024 04:51 PM

Very strange Reverb messaging - be careful

Haven't sold anything on Reverb in around two years - today I got a message from the account of someone I sold a Taylor W14C almost five years ago wondering "what the hole in the bottom of the guitar is for"

After explaining to him that it's a pre-drilled hole for a pickup jack and sending a link for the two piece end pin that Taylor makes for them, they started coming back (five more messages) asking me why I did that, how to fix it, and that a local guitar store told him I ruined the guitar.

One of the messages had a "link" in it that appeared to be for the original listing - of course I didn't open it.

Once I got a little more direct with this person, basically told them I didn't drill the hole, it was a used guitar, etc, and saying "you are JUST seeing this? - they backed off.

Very strange - I remember the buyer raving about it when I sold it to them - it appears that people are hijacking Reverb accounts they way they used to on Ebay - except now it's not even selling you anything.

Be careful out there.

KenL 03-26-2024 05:12 AM

Wow, truly bizarre!

Gotta wonder what the intent is?

martingitdave 03-26-2024 05:26 AM

Yeah nearly any platform on the internet is a source of potential fraud. You can't feel too safe and secure when money is involved. That said, it's unavoidable. As careful as I try to be, some company had a breach and my credit card was stolen. Caused me a week of headaches.

Murphy Slaw 03-26-2024 06:10 AM

I remember back when we would fish for food.

fitness1 03-26-2024 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL (Post 7433716)
Wow, truly bizarre!

Gotta wonder what the intent is?

Yes - I'm pretty fraud savvy, but this one had me scratching my head.

Mr. Paul 03-26-2024 07:11 AM

I think that when you sell guitars with a hole in the bottom, you can expect this kind of discerning critique.

Not a scam. Dude's just a knucklehead.

RP 03-26-2024 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 7433766)
I think that when you sell guitars with a hole in the bottom, you can expect this kind of discerning critique...

Yeh but five years later...

rllink 03-26-2024 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 7433550)
Haven't sold anything on Reverb in around two years - today I got a message from the account of someone I sold a Taylor W14C almost five years ago wondering "what the hole in the bottom of the guitar is for"

After explaining to him that it's a pre-drilled hole for a pickup jack and sending a link for the two piece end pin that Taylor makes for them, they started coming back (five more messages) asking me why I did that, how to fix it, and that a local guitar store told him I ruined the guitar.

One of the messages had a "link" in it that appeared to be for the original listing - of course I didn't open it.

Once I got a little more direct with this person, basically told them I didn't drill the hole, it was a used guitar, etc, and saying "you are JUST seeing this? - they backed off.

Very strange - I remember the buyer raving about it when I sold it to them - it appears that people are hijacking Reverb accounts they way they used to on Ebay - except now it's not even selling you anything.

Be careful out there.

I'm just curious, was there something in the hole when you had it? Did you happen to mention it in the description when you sold it or do you think the buyer just discovered it? I mean, the whole thing seems strange from the beginning. Is it some scam or it is possible maybe that the buyer just got drunk or over medicated and went off the rails for a little while? Probably back to normal now?

fitness1 03-26-2024 07:35 AM

Guys - I would NEVER, NEVER sell in instrument without fully disclosing something like that.

Again, this was simply a pre-drilled hole for a pickup jack. It was almost 5 years ago and honestly I don't remember if there was a pickup in it when I sold it, or if I disclosed the fact that there had been, but I wouldn't have just shipped it that way without letting them know. And actually around that time I had several of the two piece end pins I could have dropped in there, so I doubt very much it went out that way.

fitness1 03-26-2024 07:42 AM

Just found the original listing - here is what I said - don't know how I could be more clear.

The endpin was drilled out for a pickup system which has been removed (a Fishman UST that was interfering with the natural acoustic tone of the guitar) So it's ready for a new pickup system, or one of the Taylor/Larrivee type two piece endpins to be installed (not included)

frankmcr 03-26-2024 01:36 PM

Needs to raise money right quick, thinks "sell guitar - but wait, has hole in it", is planning to ask for a financial adjustment by you to him for "undisclosed flaw"????

RP 03-26-2024 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 7434031)
Needs to raise money right quick, thinks "sell guitar - but wait, has hole in it", is planning to ask for a financial adjustment by you to him for "undisclosed flaw"????

At the risk of quoting myself...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 7433772)
Yeh but five years later...

fitness1 03-26-2024 03:20 PM

Just found the feedback he left -

Guitar was shipped fast and in great quality as advertised. Beautiful guitar.

Talk2Me 03-26-2024 04:11 PM

The fact that this is consuming the OP's time is just sad. If I'd received an email from someone I'd sold something to more than a year or two ago? Ignored and deleted. Nothing good can come of it....as you've discovered.

LAPlayer 03-26-2024 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 7433766)
I think that when you sell guitars with a hole in the bottom, you can expect this kind of discerning critique.

Not a scam. Dude's just a knucklehead.

A very, veeewwwwwyy slow knucklehead. Not someone/something I would waste 10 seconds on. He's probably trying to sell it and someone's trying to negotiate him down because of the "hole" in the guitar. Sounds like it might work.