The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Maguires Quick Detailer (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549333)

jdinco 06-12-2019 04:30 AM

Maguires Quick Detailer

My X7 had some smudges that weren't cleaning off real well with the cloth I always use, I'd seen the Quick Detailer suggested here by some of the Rainsong guys I think it was....it worked a lot better than I expected, I sprayed it on the cloth so not to get any on the strings and wasn't going to do the neck, but it worked so well, I did do the neck and it made it nice, clean and smooth. I used the Maguires NXT Quick Detailer, I'm sure other brands would work just as well. Recommended.

GuitarLuva 06-16-2019 07:54 AM

Nice to know, I always liked Meguiar products. I've been using the D'addario restoring polish on my guitars for the last few years, it works quite well also.

JerryM 06-16-2019 08:12 AM

Keep in mind petroleum distillates gas off fumes and we hold our guitars close to our body and breathing. A damp rag and a little drop of Dawn is much safer. Those products are made for auto exteriors. 🚙

jdinco 06-16-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryM (Post 6087871)
Keep in mind petroleum distillates gas off fumes and we hold our guitars close to our body and breathing. A damp rag and a little drop of Dawn is much safer. Those products are made for auto exteriors. 🚙

I had some concerns, I'm sensitive to fragrances ....but no smells or fumes that I could detect after the cleaning, some mild scent while spraying. And are you sure it's a petroleum distillate ? IF it was, it would remove the wax from your car, it does not do that. It's a polymer with added wax. So I think you may be guessing. It works much better than dawn and water. Use what you choose, my results with the detailer were much better than I had anticipated that's why I posted this.

Mark L 06-16-2019 04:59 PM

MSDS (material safety data sheet) of most if not all products should be available upon request from the manufacturer. Many are already posted online on websites. Few commercially available materials/products will be able to claim “proprietary information”.

“Government. Sometimes it’s good for something”.
-Anonymous.
😉

El Duque 06-16-2019 07:57 PM

I am assuming you are using this on a glossy finish.

I have a CF guitar (of660) with a matte finish. I'm wonderin if detailer would work good on that.

I don't want it to leave a residue or change the color of the matte.

JerryM 06-17-2019 07:55 AM

Just concerned for health no problem, use what you want🍷 and enjoy. PD’s don’t remove wax or gloss they are in most auto polishes,

jdinco 06-17-2019 08:15 AM

Got ya, and it could be worse breathing polymers and wax....I don't know. Good advice to at least be cautious if you use it.

Earl49 06-17-2019 08:55 AM

On my list of Top 20 things to worry about, breathing some guitar cleaner fumes is about #27. I get why some people are sensitized, but that is not my current priority.

IMO, one of life's great scents is Hoppe's #9 bore solvent when cleaning my guns. ;)

JerryM 06-17-2019 09:26 AM

Sorry I posted, should have known better, be well.....:D

kramster 06-17-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryM (Post 6088611)

Now you know.

jdinco 06-17-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryM (Post 6088611)

Not sure I understand what there is to be sorry about....:)

steelvibe 06-17-2019 03:23 PM

I put it on pancakes.

jonfields45 06-17-2019 04:32 PM

Has NXT been superceded by newer Meguiars products??? There now seems to be Quick and Ultimate Quick Detailer (no gold however as many of their other products...). Do I want Ultimate or less than Ultimate???

jdinco 06-17-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelvibe (Post 6088878)
I put it on pancakes.

Just don't sniff them. :D

jdinco 06-17-2019 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonfields45 (Post 6088918)
Has NXT been superceded by newer Meguiars products??? There now seems to be Quick and Ultimate Quick Detailer (no gold however as many of their other products...). Do I want Ultimate or less than Ultimate???

LOL...Jerry might have been right, maybe I shouldn't have posted this, everyone knows you would use the Ultimate. :D