The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Which of these 2 guitars for this tune? And should I palm-mute? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549410)

Vindellama 06-13-2019 05:16 AM

Which of these 2 guitars for this tune? And should I palm-mute?

As in title...
Just a quick question from a quick low effort recording just for comparison purposes...

Guitar 1

Uncompressed file > https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g5gqiwk2o...cular.wav?dl=0

Guitar 2

Uncompressed file > https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjbttq1cd8...cular.wav?dl=0

Howard Emerson 06-13-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindellama (Post 6085511)
As in title...
Just a quick question from a quick low effort recording just for comparison purposes...

Guitar 1

Guitar 2

Number 2, definitely.

The first one is way too buzzy sounding.

I trust you'll work on the tuning before committing to the red light.

As far as whether you should mute or not? Not my call to make.

HE

schneidan 06-13-2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindellama (Post 6085511)
As in title...

Guitar 1

Guitar 2

Second guitar, I think, although tuning or intonation seems ever so slightly off in a couple spots just now.

As for the palm mute, I think that's personal preference. As you've asked opinions, I'll give mine... I'm not sure I like it muted so heavily, but it does change the feel of the pacing in a good way. Maybe try letting those bass notes ring just a few milliseconds longer before muting them? Might add just a little more depth to that passage. Just my $0.02!

rick-slo 06-13-2019 08:14 AM

Second recording sounds better, but that could just be the recording rather than the guitar.
Regarding muting later in the piece I would probably do that for contrast and interest compared
to the first part of the piece, however I would palm mute more aggressively and consistently for
a shorter bass thumb.

Vindellama 06-13-2019 09:35 AM

*Edit*
Added the uncompressed files for a better idea of how they sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Emerson (Post 6085610)
Number 2, definitely.

The first one is way too buzzy sounding.

I trust you'll work on the tuning before committing to the red light.

As far as whether you should mute or not? Not my call to make.

HE

I will... Need to change batteries on my tuner. That being said the second one sound better when it is tuned slightly flat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneidan (Post 6085647)
Second guitar, I think, although tuning or intonation seems ever so slightly off in a couple spots just now.

As for the palm mute, I think that's personal preference. As you've asked opinions, I'll give mine... I'm not sure I like it muted so heavily, but it does change the feel of the pacing in a good way. Maybe try letting those bass notes ring just a few milliseconds longer before muting them? Might add just a little more depth to that passage. Just my $0.02!

I didn't tune prior... Just did a quick snipet in my short time off. As said above It sound better tuned slightly flat, I may need to add some compensation on the saddle in the near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 6085687)
Second recording sounds better, but that could just be the recording rather than the guitar.
Regarding muting later in the piece I would probably do that for contrast and interest compared
to the first part of the piece, however I would palm mute more aggressively and consistently for
a shorter bass thumb.

I recorded both with the same mic/guitar positioning (the first was a bit "left" and with a higher peak on the strum though)

As for the palm muting, you mean hitting the string harder?

rick-slo 06-13-2019 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vindellama (Post 6085793)
As for the palm muting, you mean hitting the string harder?

No, I mean try muting the bass strings more with your palm. They are ringing out too long IMO.

ChuckS 06-13-2019 10:08 PM

For the first part of the song (approx 60 seconds) I like guitar #2 much better. For the second part of the song I somewhat prefer guitar #1.

If I had to choose I'd say guitar #2.

Vindellama 06-14-2019 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 6086262)
For the first part of the song (approx 60 seconds) I like guitar #2 much better. For the second part of the song I somewhat prefer guitar #1.

I was thinking about recording with both and use the parts that sound better for each...

But I may get into the same issues of when I tried recording multiple takes to glue the best parts together.

sirwhale 06-14-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 6086262)

I agree with this.